• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I can get em for 100-130 all day up here, anywhere from 3.55 to 4.10 gears with discs like everyone else's. Add in 100 bucks for the ubolts+perches+metal for ubolt plates+shocks, 10 for a junkyard driveshaft flange or 30 for a new one, shorten the driveshaft in some cases, do some welding, throw a ruffstuff cover on it because you destroyed the stock one with a rubber mallet trying to break the RTV free... and you're done.

i work at topside powersports if you need a hand....i can get a lot of drivetrain parts through the office too ;)

the 44 is on par with a 29 spline 8.25....the 8.8 rules all baby axles

Connections :yelclap:

I honestly don't know what to do next. I've got a garage full of tools but not quite enough knowledge or time to fix this thing with school and work. I'm new to the world of Jeeps (always owned Toyotas). Bought the XJ Jan-05 and have been wrenching on it constantly since. I'm definitely not going to turn down a second opinion if you're available!

Connections :yelclap:

I honestly don't know what to do next. I've got a garage full of tools but not quite enough knowledge or time to fix this thing with school and work. I'm new to the world of Jeeps (always owned Toyotas). Bought the XJ Jan-05 and have been wrenching on it constantly since. I'm definitely not going to turn down a second opinion if you're available!

hit me up through pm....there is also a great local crew through knoxoffroad.com, lots of jeeps (and some local vendors) there and they're always willing to broaden the crew

Check your tech thread - I've got a sneaking suspicion you used the d35 driveshaft (if you had a d35 originally) and it's binding up in the transfer case or something due to being too long.

....the 8.8 rules all baby axles

uh-greed! It's a boat anchor, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...

....throw a ruffstuff cover on it because you destroyed the stock one with a rubber mallet trying to break the RTV free...

Mine got a ruffstuff cover after I peeled the stock one back on the very first rock I drug it across at the Crawl last year. Didn't realize it until I began the 6 hour drive home, got halfway home and started having trouble seeing out of the back.

Gear oil doesn't exactly come off with windshield washer fluid and a wiper either...

8.8's a whole different game from a 44... from what I've heard, an 8.8 plus the flange adapter is very close to a d35 pinion length wise. 8.25 is a lot closer to a 44, and on some setups can require a shorter driveshaft.

I think you should bring it home. Your wife won't mind one bit.

If it were free she wouldn't care. She only fusses about money. She is the tightest person I know.

I on the other hand live by the philosophy that "you can't take it with you" and "I hope the last check that I write before I die bounces" LOL!

hit me up through pm....there is also a great local crew through knoxoffroad.com, lots of jeeps (and some local vendors) there and they're always willing to broaden the crew

Great to see another Knox area XJer on NAXJA! Doug(shortXJdoug) can help ya with anything XJ related. Also, like he said.......a lot of Knoxville wheelers on KOR site. check it out also.

Changed plugs again, checked plugs wires for proper firing, finally cut exhaust off behind cat and hollowed it out and now she's running loud and proud. Not sure if the lack of back pressure is causing her to backfire when reving engine or vacuum line problems.

Almost sure it is the lack of backpressure... 4.0s run like crap straightpiped from my experience tearing exhausts off on the trail.

It's not actually backpressure - more that the cylinders don't scavenge quite right without a certain amount of exhaust mass flowing in the system. The inertia of the exhaust gases helps pull the exhaust out of the next cylinder. 6 of one, half dozen of the other I guess...

Throw a cherrybomb and a tailpipe or a turndown on it and it should run ok again. All I've got on my MJ is downpipe, cat, cherrybomb, turndown and it's the best thing I ever did, I tore up so many stock mufflers and tailpipes on rocks before this.

Almost sure it is the lack of backpressure... 4.0s run like crap straightpiped from my experience tearing exhausts off on the trail.

It's not actually backpressure - more that the cylinders don't scavenge quite right without a certain amount of exhaust mass flowing in the system. The inertia of the exhaust gases helps pull the exhaust out of the next cylinder. 6 of one, half dozen of the other I guess...

Throw a cherrybomb and a tailpipe or a turndown on it and it should run ok again. All I've got on my MJ is downpipe, cat, cherrybomb, turndown and it's the best thing I ever did, I tore up so many stock mufflers and tailpipes on rocks before this.

On our MJ I have a custom made exhaust, part 96XJ and just junk lying around that I welded up. Then I added a cheap Oriellys muffler and a turn down just before the rear axle

This thing has more pep than anything in the driveway! Maybe I should go into the exhaust business!

89 down pipe, 96 cat, el-cheapo muffler and turn down and my bubble gum welds LOL!

0630111025.jpg

Back