• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Got my Extended Stainless Braided Brake lines installed and flushed brake system. Bought my new 760x u-joints for the HP D30 and some 153x u-joints for the rear driveshaft. Still waiting on my Stage 2 Sliders from JCR

helped bosco01xj swap in his new currie steering setup...
messed with my buddy's four cylinder, 2wd xj, found out that most of his current cooling system problems are coming from his factory original radiator cap that the spring is all rusty in, therefore he can't vent and let off pressure into his overflow. this may or may not end up with replacing the water pump and radiatot. already swapped out all hoses, and the heater switch, and flush about 14 lbs of rust out...

over the past two weekends...

...on trail rig
-swapped out both output seals on the Dana 18 (no more leaky or smoke) :)

...on tow rig
-topped off fluids
-changed oil
-replaced wiper blades
-replaced fan clutch
-had radiator cleaned and recondtioned, and reinstalled
-installed receiver hitch
-installed brake control box

...bought a trailer
...modified trailer
...made a test drive to knoxville with tow rig/trailer/XJ to see how the truck would do before the crawl.
...helped install a set of THORs

and started gathering stuff for the crawl :)

Went up to Greensboro for a dentist appointment yesterday, had lunch with the GF since she works 10 minutes away. Stopped by Mom's to clean the Jeep up from Uwharrie last weekend. Washed the motor off the same way I always have for 4 years now and managed to get water in the TPS. Spent most of the evening trying to save it with no luck. $50 for a new TPS and I was back on the road and at my apartment shortly after Midnight :banghead:

Lennie replaced my front axle and OldBlueXJ helped me replace my steering column. Lennie also fixed my A/C and I'm glad as hot as it has been.

Rotated the tires, relized i need new brake shoes, and gave her a bath. Easy weekend in the Alabama heat.

Installed a trailer hitch on Friday and found out the bolt on the passenger side nut strip that holds part of the exhaust on is bent (probably from one of the accidents). Tried to get it out but busted the hell out of my fingers in the process. Once I stopped the bleeding I cut the stupid thing off...gonna have to drill it out and tap a new hole anyways when I upgrade to a class III hitch.

After that I drove up to the lake that evening and spent the weekend there to celebrate the GF's birthday. I'll be spending tonight nursing this wonderful sunburn I have.

Pulled the dash. Hosed out the evaporator. HUGE difference. I think it was freezing up before, blows like a champ now. Buttoned up all the loose wires, replaced burnt out dash bulbs, etc.
Only 103 today, I had to wear a jacket.:flame:

Added some bolts to the newly fabbed rock rails, replaced a headlight, and helped install a steering column.

Swapped in a new 6 piece battery cable kit from 5-90 hoping some of my idle issues were ground related. Kit is super well made. Putting in the kit I must have caused a boo boo.

Started up the XJ and it was running terrible. Chuffing black smoke out the tailpipe and idling poorly. This SUCKS!!! The Crawl is 3 days away and my XJ won't idle.

Stared at it trying to find a vacuum leak. Since the brakes were hard, figured that's what it might be still couldn't find anything. Wife gets home and sees my frustration and black smoke. Well, she comes to NAXJA and does a search for "blowing black smoke" and tells me to look at the MAP sensor vacuum line. Sure enough it had broken at the TB. Go to parts rig and get a spare so that I know where it is supposed to go. Put on spare and it runs way better.

WhooooHooooo! Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Sunshine (my wife) and NAXJA.

replaced leaky brake line, bled brakes, still no rear brakes.
broke left thumb with hi lift.
got a ready cast from the ER Saturday night with Loritabs. Mowed my sister's yard for some coin today.

replaced leaky brake line, bled brakes, still no rear brakes.
broke left thumb with hi lift.
got a ready cast from the ER Saturday night with Loritabs. Mowed my sister's yard for some coin today.

When you bleed the brakes, does fluid squirt out the rear brakes lines? Could the calipers be frozen or do the y clamp the rotors? Maybe the proportioning valve isn't metering enough pressure for the calipers to grab?

fluid trickled out
prop valve sounds like your on the right trail
will know more tomorrow after the doc sees my hand.

Drove from Wildwood Crest NJ back home to Nashville. Lost my dinner somewhere near Mt.Juliet when a 5hr energy did not agree with it. That is the first at last time I'll travel with the family + the in-laws following in their car. Between all of the restroom, food, and or gas stops it took over 17hrs to get home. (Last time it only took me 12 with just me and the fam in our car)

Lessons learned on this trip:
Father in-laws can not follow your car to save their life.
Father in-law with claim to know a better way then the GPS but won't lead or remember how to get there
Denny's nachos are pretty good.
After a nap in the car with Fiona and Mother (in the front seats) they don't agree with the nachos. :passgas:
Not having access to NAXJA for a week sucks!
It's good to be home.

Well I finally got around to compelte my tilt/cruise install in my XJ.

The old column came out with no problems and the "new" one went in very smooth.

Got everything hooked up, static tests were ok, off for a test run.

Well....almost.

Went to make the right hand turn out of the drive way and was met with a LOUD "crunch", and the green cruise "on" light went out.

CRAP....

Later today, ( I installed the column Sat. night) I was able to remove the clock spring and see just what happened. It looks as if when I had the "new" column on the bench I had spun the steering wheel one to many times in the "right" direction and when I made my right hand turn I "overwound" the clock spring and ripped the wire tape that makes up the innards of the CS right off of the circuit board. And yep I took it apart and I am going to attept to repair it.

So I guess I'll give myself a :looser: for being a dumbsh*&.

Back