• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

its been like 95degrees on drive back from Chatt to Knox.. Avon nearly over heated on me..
Im driving Rubi for now until spring!

its been like 95degrees on drive back from Chatt to Knox.. Avon nearly over heated on me..
Im driving Rubi for now until spring!

really? don't park the xj, fix it! overheating issues are easy to resolve.
i'm getting excited about getting my jeep going again. wingnut's gonna come back over and help me button her up, and i'll once again be a jeep guy. motorcycles are fun if you have the option to not ride it some days.

That's what I keep telling the guy I bought my MJ off of... he's looking to sell his car so he can buy a bigger airplane right now. Wearing the weather on the way to work is a lousy way to start a Monday.

As for stuff I got done, even though it wasn't weekend - put a rear driveshaft in my 98, installed matching fenders so my landlord isn't quite so displeased by it sitting in the parking lot, replaced the radiator, and put a new upstream O2 sensor in it :yelclap: it actually runs and drives without choking, stalling, lurching, and squeaking and lurching even more on corners now :yelclap::yelclap:

All I gotta do is fix the P0443 CEL I'm getting, bolt the seats down, bolt the passenger airbag back in, replace the windshield, and install the electric fan and fan shroud and it'll pass inspection :D

I gotta replace the upstream O2 sensor too..Its busted off.. i get a small choke when its cold ..
think that ll fix it?

mark

It should. Mine was choking and lurching something awful because of it. I've never had one actually fail all the way like that (heater went bad and it wasn't sending a signal to the ECU at all so it was running blind and repeatedly leaning out the mixture completely), only had them get "lazy" and kill my gas mileage.

I've never had trouble with O2 sensors, even with just a 7/8" box wrench. AeroKroil/PBBlaster help a lot, my 91 nearly killed my hands till I used some.

I've never had trouble with O2 sensors, even with just a 7/8" box wrench. AeroKroil/PBBlaster help a lot, my 91 nearly killed my hands till I used some.
:cough:Rust belt:cough:

Mark I didn't realize you were having all those problems with Avon, I'll come home this w/e and we'll take a look.

Will a "lazy" O2 sensor kill mileage?

That may be my problem.

How do you know which one is bad?

Yeah, it'll kill it pretty well. I was getting 13mpg in the MJ, replacing the sensor brought it to 16-17mpg.

On anything with federal emissions it's easy, the upstream one will improve the engine's mileage and performance if it's gunked up. On 2000/2001 models and those with cali emissions from later 90s years (not sure exactly which, anything with pre-cats and multiple upstream O2 sensors) it really depends, there are multiple upstream O2 sensors and the ECU uses them to determine the A/F ratio on the cylinders they monitor.

The downstream O2 sensor that is mounted after the catalytic converter won't change performance at all, it's really only there to tell the ECU if your engine is misfiring REALLY badly / your catalytic is toast. The upstream one(s) provide the info the ECU uses to determine if it needs more or less gas.

:cough:Rust belt:cough:

Mark I didn't realize you were having all those problems with Avon, I'll come home this w/e and we'll take a look.

Naa not AVon but Mrs Crawler.. Avon is tough bitch.. lol

mark

Mine just has 2 sensors so it'll be the one in the down pipe. Gotcha. The wires going tp it look ok, but my mileage sucks!!

Is there an easy way for me to test it? If not, I may replace it anyway and see what happens.

Thanks!

Halfway through the TRE job. My buddy had to go home and get a pipe wrench, but once he gets back, I anticipate it going much easier.

Halfway through the TRE job. My buddy had to go home and get a pipe wrench, but once he gets back, I anticipate it going much easier.

A pipe wrench for TRE's?

I have a set of new tre's that are on a cut-up tie rod. So, gotta hold the rod to unscrew the end. Also, have one TRE that won't come off the rod itself. Such a PITA.

I have a set of new tre's that are on a cut-up tie rod. So, gotta hold the rod to unscrew the end. Also, have one TRE that won't come off the rod itself. Such a PITA.

Oh yea. DOH!

Haha. Then I'll get it aligned. It's needed TREs and an alignment since I bought it. It's getting so bad that it scares me to drive. :D

Back