• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

new solid cover= cool
p_00029.jpg

Black transmission fluid= not cool
p_00030.jpg

Tossed in some new front shocks to replace the OEM ones in this beautiful Carolina 60 degree and sunny weather!

Was grateful for my XJ. My neighbor whom i would consider handy with vehicles threw some misfire codes on his mini-van today. Of course the engine is in there side ways, so he took it in and $600 later he had a new distributor and plugs. An identical job i did last weekend for 60$.

Enjoy your weekend all!

Went over to ckale1's house to throw a tstat and a water pump on the Jeep after the bearing on the pump got noisy (pump was less than 1 year old). Got everything together and started filling it back up with Coolant only to discover the tstat housing peeing coolant everywhere....apparently that Felpro gasket that already has RTV on it needed more. Took it back off, plastered it in goo and threw it back on...no more leaking :D

Also swapped the stock fan clutch back on for the rest of winter...i'll probably put the ZJ clutch back on come summer time.

Thanks again Chris for the help...sorry about the coolant all over the floor lol.

Went over to ckale1's house to throw a tstat and a water pump on the Jeep after the bearing on the pump got noisy (pump was less than 1 year old). Got everything together and started filling it back up with Coolant only to discover the tstat housing peeing coolant everywhere....apparently that Felpro gasket that already has RTV on it needed more. Took it back off, plastered it in goo and threw it back on...no more leaking :D

Also swapped the stock fan clutch back on for the rest of winter...i'll probably put the ZJ clutch back on come summer time.

Thanks again Chris for the help...sorry about the coolant all over the floor lol.

No gasket should ever require any type of sealant unless the mating surfaces are not clean. It is far more likely that the t-stat just wasn't properly seated in the recess in the head. I have seen that happen several times on jeeps (even done it once myself), and I have even seen situations where it was so far out of whack that when the housing was tightened, it actually broke the housing. Ask Lil Timmy if you don't believe me lol.

It does ride smoother. The centering joint is totally trashed.

I still probably won't drive it because the trans doesn't like to maintain a good cruising speed easily. Plus, I get almost 3x the gas mileage in my car.

No gasket should ever require any type of sealant unless the mating surfaces are not clean. It is far more likely that the t-stat just wasn't properly seated in the recess in the head. I have seen that happen several times on jeeps (even done it once myself), and I have even seen situations where it was so far out of whack that when the housing was tightened, it actually broke the housing. Ask Lil Timmy if you don't believe me lol.

Both surfaces were clean and smooth. I've always put RTV on mating surfaces unless it's the kind of gasket that you're not supposed to (for example Felpro's Permagasket type for oil pans). Never had an issue in the past. Only reason I didn't this time at first was because the Felpro gasket was one of the kinds where you're not supposed to put any on...because it's already on the gasket. Apparently that wasn't enough. Added RTV like I would have if it were any other kind of gasket and no more leaks.

However, now it's wanting to run hot. On a cold start it will warm up at normal speed however it will go past 210 up to 220, sit there for a minute, then come down to 200 and stay there forever. Basically, it's acting like it's got an air pocket in the system..even though the system burped itself like normal overnight after working on it Friday, and I tried to burp it myself again on Saturday night and did not get any air to come out. Best I can tell now it might be a faulty thermostat...which if it is, no biggie...i'll just take it back to work and swap it out under warranty. Gonna see what it does this week after the radiator gets put in and go from there.

As for my weekend..spent it in Boone with an old old friend that I haven't seen in over 10 years (we were best friends back when we were kids). Had a great time catching up on old times and doin stupid things that college kids do sometimes.

Changed the oil in the WJ, added fresh oil to the air compressor, and then went up and sewed my daughters Disney Princess dress...

Picture a guy in a grease stained shirt, jeans, and cowboy boots working a needle and thread through an Ariel costume!

How is that for opposite ends of the spectrum...

Changed the oil in the WJ, added fresh oil to the air compressor, and then went up and sewed my daughters Disney Princess dress...

Picture a guy in a grease stained shirt, jeans, and cowboy boots working a needle and thread through an Ariel costume!

How is that for opposite ends of the spectrum...

We've got Ariel, and a few others down here....they sure don't hold up too well do they? Little Princesses can be quite abusive to their gowns......:viking:

We've got Ariel, and a few others down here....they sure don't hold up too well do they? Little Princesses can be quite abusive to their gowns......:viking:

You guys have that right on the money.

I've been able to graduate from princesses to Tinker Bell. Man have I come along way...

mbogosia is pretty rough on his princess gowns, too:D
alpha, does it shift fine otherwise? it sounds to me like you're running 31's-33's on stock gearing, which just means you need some 4.10's to get the rpm's up a bit so the shift points go back to normal. i almost got some 32's today, and decided not to just because i can't afford to regear right now, and i don't wanna deal with highway lag.

Fine otherwise.

What else is weird, it feels like it downshifts two gears. Then when I let off the gas and it will shift up one gear (to what I wanted it to shift to, to begin with) then shift up to the cruising gear.

Fine otherwise.

What else is weird, it feels like it downshifts two gears. Then when I let off the gas and it will shift up one gear (to what I wanted it to shift to, to begin with) then shift up to the cruising gear.

my little blue jeep grew 2 in and got some new shoes i tore down the blown motor outta my big jeep. got pistons out lifters ect. it was fun. and today i sighted in my AR15. half inch group at 50 yds. so all in all a good manly weekend lol

Back