• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Budget Bucket's build

I cant believe the drag link sheared at that spot ? Where were you ? What brand was it? Stock?

Nice looking rig. I like the rock slider and would love to do it but I have so much I need to do already on my plate.
I like the keep it simple approach.

The toaster is looking good Sam! Nice work!

Sam the xj is looking good. Glad you finally got those rockers done. I remember on slick rock
when you crunched the rocker. You almost cried. Too funny

Sam, it looks like you've been making lots of progress! Get it ready for Reno Run!

thanks! thats the plan! but we will see. its been so slow of a build. but hopeful thanks for the help by the way

Jeep looks great Sam. It's come a long way since you picked up those wheels at my house!

haha ya it has thanks man!

good looking updates sam.

thanks bud

I cant believe the drag link sheared at that spot ? Where were you ? What brand was it? Stock?

HAHAHAH ik right. it was zj swap i did. i was pulling away from the curb at a friends house, got a foot, went to turn the wheel left to make a u-yy and it completely snapped. it was 10' outside so i think it was a stress fracture combined with the cold and it just gave out. better at 2 mph then at 70 with the lady in the passenger seat and us headed to a wall. so looking positive ha. but ya i can't believe it either.

Nice looking rig. I like the rock slider and would love to do it but I have so much I need to do already on my plate.
I like the keep it simple approach.

thank you! we were dumb enough to do it in one week between work, class, and work, and family haha so it was rushed but done right. just need to tie them into the frame. wondering if i really need to tho because kev has been running them like that for a long time.

The toaster is looking good Sam! Nice work!

thanks bud

Sam the xj is looking good. Glad you finally got those rockers done. I remember on slick rock
when you crunched the rocker. You almost cried. Too funny

hahaha i literally did haha. it was now looking at it. thats when i thought my jeep was a classic car hahaha. still treating her right but I've moved on haha. good trip

Sam you really need to take it easy on those speed bumps at the mall. Its reeking havoc on your jeep.

Jk

dude these speed bumps out here are huge dude!!! i may need 40's......jkjk haha

Tie them into the frame.

how many miles or years where on that drag link ?

You said it was a ZJ drag link?

that same crap just happened to a guy on the FB page too. I want to stay away from whatever manufacturer is making those ones ...

Last edited:
no idea how many miles but over 140,000 and about 300 off road? idk but yes i believe zj, whatever the popular switch is i did that one can't remember.

and dang haha problems valor

QUESTION:

so i got her all back together but now i don't have cruise, horn, or air bag in my steering wheel. what did i break? or forget to hook up when replacing steering boxes

i keep hearing about a clock spring but have no clue what it is...:dunce:

its basically a coil of wires around the steering shaft inside the wheel. i guess they don't extend unlimitedly when you turn the wheel without any gear box in it....haha so i think i just snapped the wires off. it controls cruise, horns, and airbag if you have any of that.

You can fix your current clockspring if you can solder and have a multimeter. If not they're like 60-80$ used on fleabay.
go oem if buying new.
I actually have one for 97+ if you wanna fix it before tearing stuff down

so steering is back to original box until i can buy a PSC or like. steering is very stiff so it could be: the new ball joints, new currie system, or it could be the box is going out as well? idk.

installed my new track bar bracket so everything i have for steering is on the jeep now and in working condition; currie, synergy joints, and RE track bar and bracket. also all new fluids.

MY PROBLEM: like usual i always have a problem after i install something.
- so when i put it into 4 wheel low it almost does not want to idle forward unless i give it gas, normally it jumps forward. when i turn to the passenger side it starts to grab the wheel and let go grab the wheel let go and repeat until i straighten out. it does not do this for the drivers side. there is a clunking squealing noise coming from the passenger side at the same time and i can't figure out what it is. it does not do it when in 2wd. just 4 high and low. I'm thinking its:
-bad or broken joint?
-axle is actually bent caster wise and somehow messing with the axle?
-brakes are grabbing for no reason
-my carrier and gears are somehow broken.

im not sure if anyone can help me out but i figured id post about it and see what the naxja pit crew has to say.

Disco the front drive shaft, toss it in 4WD and see if it still does it. That will help narrow it down.

Also, put a level on the pass side of the axle to see if it is actually bent?

Back