• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake annual run, Aug 8-10

blondejoncherokee said:
could i make it on 31's with alotta flex...

Yes, you can make it on 31's, plenty have run this trail with 31's. You need at least one locker (not limited slip), or it's a no go.

SharkXJ said:
Confirmed - I am 100% in :)

What time are we meeting to head out on Friday Morning?

We normally leave camp Fri morning at 8:30 am. We need to see who's going to lead this thing Fri morning. :)

Here are directions:

Take Hwy 168 heading NE out of Fresno/Clovis, towards Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake. The new freeway through Fresno turns into Hwy 168, so you can take it off of either Hwy 180 if coming from the north or Hwy 41 if coming from the south, check your map or Mapquest so you can see your route depending on which direction you're coming from. So, heading NE on Hwy 168, follow the signs to Shaver Lake, which is roughly an hour drive from Fresno. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake, make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there will be a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Continue on Dinkey Creek Rd for around 12 miles, and as you are coming into Dinkey Creek, look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Make a right turn at this sign onto McKinley Grove Rd......very important! If you miss this right turn, you will drive past the ranger station and the Dinkey Creek store and end up at Dinkey Campground. After making the right turn onto McKinley Grove Rd, immediately crossing the Dinkey Creek bridge, go for about 1/4 mile and look for the Camp Fresno sign on the left. At this sign, there are two roads that go to the left, the first cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, the second is road 10S36. Turn left onto 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, which is our camping spot. The camping is in the trees, but there is enough open space for trailers if needed. There is an outhouse down the road a short ways, and at the ranger station, and showers at the Dinkey Creek store.

It's best to gas up in Prather, you can easily run the trail and get back to Fresno on one tank. Also, block ice lasts much longer than cubed ice.

Goatman said:
Also, block ice lasts much longer than cubed ice.
On the Deer Valley/Slickrock run I used 6lbs. of Dry ice. None of my regular ice melted until the dry ice all sublimated on the 3rd day.
I packed it in a bag and placed it on one side of the large chest and kept things frozen and had non-frozen items on the opposite side.

Swamp Lake:
SF07_0151.jpg

Err, well I think that photo is Grouse lake (SP?)

This is Swamp Lake:
SF07_0255.jpg

Jes loves his lockers:
SF07_0308.jpg

Ben H. kicking up dust:
SF07_0313.jpg

Andy at the last 4x4 section of the trail:
SF07_0380.jpg

If this year is 1/4th as fun it will be a blast!

B.C. :speepin: Wake up!! and get your junk ready.

scrappy again said:
I really want to. I just dont think me borrowing a rig for this trip is going to work out very well this year. Sorry guys!

Offer benH some pink hat matt lovin, and he'll probably let you ride shotgun! :laugh3:

Matt if you want to drive my junk, its yours. I just get to ride shotty. Oh and you be the little spoon.

That sounds like fun, but I won't be there to meet any of you guys. My local 4-WD club (Mid-Valley Four Wheelers of Merced, of which I am Secretary) is heading up there this weekend. Well, actually we are going a little past the Dinkey turn-off to Tamarack Meadow which is at the Northern base of Bald Mountain. Tamarack is basically due West of Swamp Lake. But all those trails are interconnected.

Anyway, I at least wanted to let you all know there was another XJ guy in the area.

Wayne

Santa Cruz Sailor said:
I so want to go up there this year!! I had a most excellent time last year. I need to fix my electrical connections for my tent trailor first. Then bum a ride in a trail rig when I get there. :doh:
It's not likely to happen.
~~Ardis

Great who is going to help me put Opie to bed?

Opie NO BEER for you this year!

Letterman said:
Great who is going to help me put Opie to bed?

Opie NO BEER for you this year!

ok - just Vodka then :firedevil

Back