• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon July 7-10!

I'll be at a friends wedding on the 9th or I'd be making this trip. Although maybe i shouldn't break anything until the sierrafest trip.

My issue with that is, I have ABS so I would have to swap all that out as well. It's a lot of work.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Just my 2 cents worth on ABS. I had ABS on my '91. Let me give you a heads up. If you wheel where you lift a tire going down hill, hold on tight. That can/will happen on most of the harder trails. Mine would basically release the brakes trying to compensate for the one that wasn't turning. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. Once you get to a point where all your tires touch they work fine once again, but...:scared: If you're locked it takes care of the problem since both wheels on the axle have to turn together, even if one's in the air. I trashed my system due to too many failures of the accumulator pump and a ruptured high pressure line that runs across from the pump to the little accumulator tank. That happened while it was parked in my garage, luckily, since it took out the brakes completely. So, I pulled a dual diaphragm booster from a '95 XJ, along with the master cylinder, pedal assembly and proportioning valve. Mine is a daily driver (big gas guzzling daily driver) so I can't afford to have it down for long. I was able to do the swap in a weekend doing all the work myself. Now it stops fine, on or off the beaten path. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry to get off subject on this thread.

twinhauler What time are we leaving on Thursday?

Thursday July 7th. I am working out the details, will know more in a day. But hopefully Thursday we can hit the trail 9am no later than 10am... . Head into buck island and set up camp.I am looking for people's opinions on rest of trip.
I was thinking... Don't do complete trail, but on Friday do a run down to Rubicon springs and hang at river for lunch and back to camp. Saturday relax day. Sunday head from buck island back to loon lake. Think it would be plenty of wheeling and relaxing.. Please give me input?

I am already excited to go. Fixing the tack bar mounting points and getting the camber set is first after coming back from Reno. Then a Steering cooler and I am ready to go!

LETS DO THIS!

fix em yet ?

is anyone going in thursday night?
anyone going in friday night?

fix em yet ?

I ordered the wrong bushing so the right one are on the way. Did change out the heim joint and got an angle finder.

Also going to do a power steering cooler and change the fluid to Red Line brand.

I am up for what ever is happening and always have ideas. :D

Since it is a four hour drive to get to the trail head I was thinking to hit the trail Thursday at noon or one and do a stretch of trail everyday and come out at Lake Tahoe. I have never done the whole trail so I was hoping for through run.

Never done a night trail run either. :helpme:

Thursday Kick off time UPDATE. It looks like a little later would work a little bit better for everyone. Lets Plan on meeting at Loon Lake 10:45 am and Hitting the trail 11:00 am Thursday July 7th. This should work for everyone right??
Skipper, if we do the day run on friday down to rubicon springs and back up to buck you will get even more wheelin than whole way thru. You will only be missing cadillac hill. I have never gone back up Big Sluice, I think that would be awesome. Rubicon Springs for lunch sounds good !

Thursday Kick off time UPDATE. It looks like a little later would work a little bit better for everyone. Lets Plan on meeting at Loon Lake 10:45 am and Hitting the trail 11:00 am Thursday July 7th. This should work for everyone right??
Skipper, if we do the day run on friday down to rubicon springs and back up to buck you will get even more wheelin than whole way thru. You will only be missing cadillac hill. I have never gone back up Big Sluice, I think that would be awesome. Rubicon Springs for lunch sounds good !

We are in. Got most of the things I needed to do donor this weekend. May take a day off work to make sure it all gets done in time.

To do:
Power Steering Cooler
Adjust Caliper
Install rear brace for Sliders

LETS DO THIS!

I have never done the whole trail so I was hoping for through run.

Never done a night trail run either. :helpme:

Last year when I went with Jon and a few others in October, I had never done the Rubicon at all nor had I done a night run. Both "firsts" were taken care of quite nicely :D. Especially since we started "a little late" the first night and the sun was starting to lighten the horizon by the time we crawled into our tents.
I wish I could go on this run with you guys, but my older daughter already bought tickets for us to a Giants game on the 8th. Then I have to drive to Arcata to get my younger daughter moved into her apartment over the weekend :tears:. Have a great time and don't forget to post pic's for us less fortunate ones.

yeah we showed up like 7 hours late to the trail head. Sorry Rob!

fix em yet ?

I do have my track bar fixed and all I need to do is adjust the caster.

???? I put the Angle finder on my knuckle and my question is which side of zero should I adjust it to. The front of the rig or the back side of the rig. Right now it reads 4* to the back side of the rig with the ground by the tire being Zero.

I know I am looking for 7*

The top ball joint should be behind the bottom ball joint so that the top of the knuckle is rotated toward the back of the vehicle. Did I say that right, or did I just make it more confusing? It sounded good in my head anyway.

The top ball joint should be behind the bottom ball joint so that the top of the knuckle is rotated toward the back of the vehicle. Did I say that right, or did I just make it more confusing? It sounded good in my head anyway.

Thanks Rob I got it. :phone: From the driver side turn the axle clockwise from TDC.

I will do the Caster this weekend along with the sliders. Power Steering Cooler will be done on Wednesday. That's the bucket list of to dos before the trip.

LETS DO THIS! NAXJA

Positive caster is basically having the top of the axle kicked back- to where the upper ball joint is closer to the rear axle. Picture pinion pointing flat not up.

Subtract the angle of the floor too otherwise you could measure 9 degrees when you might have 0!

Lucky for me that the only piece of concrete for miles is one that measures 0 on the angle finder.

OK great. so are on the same page. Good. let us know where its at . if your pinion angle is too good looking, and you're at 4.5 "+ lift, then you possibly have a caster issue. possibly. once you measure and figure it out, adjust your upper arms in equally - one at a time or use a pipe wrench on a floor jack to the axle tube to keep it from rotating up.

Time for shopping and getting ready. Rubicon next thursday. Looking for a head count, who is gonna make it?
Twinhauler
Nick with Toyota
Skipper

Time for shopping and getting ready. Rubicon next thursday. Looking for a head count, who is gonna make it?
Twinhauler
Nick with Toyota
Skipper

I am out. my dana 60 is apart and I've got a part out rig on my hands suddenly . We will see though, I might try to make a day run in there if I can swing it but dont count on me.

So it me and twinhauler, and Nick then right? or are there others I don't know about?:)

Last edited:
Back