• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reno, May run: May 17th-20th

hmmm...
i wonder if one of us should enter?....

from earlier in this thread:

is anyone planning on wheeling thursday?

I have a competition - Cal Neva, at Exit 28 Motorsports just east of Reno, and could probably wheel Thursday, and friday morning if anyone is interested. An extra day off work, but whatever... I can be in reno about 10:00am on Thursday if I drive the way that I normally do...

In other news - if you cant make this event, and can spare a weekend day, come on out to the Mustang Ranch and drink some beer and watch people mess their rigs up!:lickout:

Although, I just got back from a 2 week adventure down in Australia, and the jeep has 4 weeks of work to do... so I dont think I'm going to waste the diesel / rush through the jeep to get it there and fall apart...

I'm definitely interested in a Reno run of sorts, but cant make this one. :compwork:

still no trans in my heep. not making this one unless I can find a trans by then.

i say we play it by ear for this on sunday. id rather wheel than watch the show, but if we are burnt out or too much junk is broken or something like that we can go watch this.

Anybody going to be wheeling Friday other than Bud at night?

My XJ is still down for the rear link job, but the buggy should be ready to go - and I pretty much have Friday off...

I'm pretty much only going to be doing the friday night run on friday since ill probably have to work friday but i will leave a little early.

so bud canyon friday night, what trails we running sat. the cryod ring and pinion somehow got warped during the treatment and the pinion is now oblong shaped and no yokes will fit. emergency backup procedure meant to canniablize the extra HP30 with 4.88s i had lying around for gears. bad news:no cryo/heat treat ring and pinion. good news: still got a full detroit, tube sleeves, truss, and knuckle gussets and brand new 37s...i gotta call bobby long on monday.

also got a bunch done on the willys tonight.

Friday bud canyon 8-9
Saturday Deloris around 9-10 am
Twister,billy bob, shakedown canyon
Then run tonka Saturday night like last year... Watch me try and roll my shit again on gatekeeper...
Sunday we can talk about when people are here.... Maybe go out to steves loop as a easy loop or go to moonrocks till people wanna head home....
Also sunday between 5-7 there is a solitary eclipse I guess.... Figured you all would be gone by Sunday afternoon...

so bud canyon friday night, what trails we running sat. the cryod ring and pinion somehow got warped during the treatment and the pinion is now oblong shaped and no yokes will fit. emergency backup procedure meant to canniablize the extra HP30 with 4.88s i had lying around for gears. bad news:no cryo/heat treat ring and pinion. good news: still got a full detroit, tube sleeves, truss, and knuckle gussets and brand new 37s...i gotta call bobby long on monday.

also got a bunch done on the willys tonight.

That sucks. I read that it could jack things up if not in a very controlled setting.

ya so since the cryo ring and pinion were warped to hell, (gotta call bobby long) - the brand new stock R and P are not even installed yet. kinda sucks. ill be cutting it close to breka in these gears if i get lucky enough to install the axle tomorrow night. fawk. the axle has been at the shop for 2 months.

i don't know if it was meant to be for me- to be going on this trip in the grey jeep. maybe i bring the willys or something.

just got off the phone with bobby long,
bobby long said the oblong pinion must be a factory defect and that the cryo and heat treat wont affect it that way, and that we can just shave it down on a lathe or a mill. i guess i will see if that works. otherwise i wont have the front axle done by the weekend . fawwwk.

more bad news. the supposedly "brand new" gears on my spare parts dana 30 has a toasted pinion. it looks like the guy who was trying to set the gears, but didn't finish, set the pinion really deep, then hammered in the carrier and kinda mushroomed a few teeth on the pinion. thats the second ring and pinion today that i have lost out on. i called west coast differentials and i can get a set for 150$. that means that ill have gone through 3 sets of ring and pinion and 60$ for cryo treatment before I've ever driven the axle and i wont even have a cryod front end. Fn sucks.

got some gears, dropped them off . hopefully he can set them tomorrow. and i can swap it in tomorrow night. and hopefully break in the gears thursday night and dial in the caster/toe in and go from there.

Back