• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Thread...

A little late for the reply but yes I did purchase the spindle from A-Z Fab and the screw in latch thingy. Nice guy and the product is stout. Cost arouns $80.00 shiped.

XJRearBumper007.jpg

XJRearBumper003.jpg

XJRearBumper004.jpg

I finally got a chance to post the quater panel plating that I added.

Hehe no, no herculiner. And no, I don't think it will ever be done. Sike this weekend is the final countdown (cue power ballad). I'll post up some pics in a while.

hooray for updates: got the drings welded on and the side plates.
DSC01132.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

and some paint and mounted.... now just have to start on the cairrier

DSC01136.jpg

this is my first fab project so any input would be welcome!:guitar:

d-giggity

I dig it yo! For your first it's exceptional really....

thanks man, i did a LOT of searching and researching all the bumper threads here on NAXJA... i wanted to do it right the first time.

d-giggity

thanks dan... yeah i dont know where i got the mounting from... some toolbag did a writeup i think.

Well as promised I got some more done on mine. Actually a lot. sucks though because I doubt any of you will notice the progress :) I finished the passenge side completely. Everything is boxed in and ground smooth. I also finished the carrier and smoothed it as well. The only thing left to do are the drivers side panels and the rest of the latch, which I figured out today. So by tomorrow I should have everything fabbed and ready for primer. Heres a couple pics.

P1010121.jpg

Nice and high, out of the way.
P1010122.jpg

P1010123.jpg

No bondo this time around. Justin will be happy.
P1010124.jpg

P1010128.jpg

P1010133.jpg

A shot at the mounting arm. Can also be seen in the earlier pages.
P1010125.jpg

The carrier "bearing" design. Still have to do a little cosmetic filling.
P1010127.jpg

Overall I'm very happy so far. It is VERY low profile, lightweight yet extremely rigid, and should prove to be very funcitional. I'm still debating whether to go back and make some d-ring mounts. More than likely they won't happen though becuase I already have an sturdy integrated hitch and reciever mounted clevis ring. Any input is welcome.

Another beautiful day today, too bad I didn't do crap on the bumper. But after having to put in a quart of oil per week I finally decided to fix my leaking oil adapter o-rings. That along with a t-case swap and an avicD3 install and the day just wasted away... More pics tomorrow :)

DanMan2k06 said:
Overall I'm very happy so far. It is VERY low profile, lightweight yet extremely rigid, and should prove to be very funcitional. I'm still debating whether to go back and make some d-ring mounts. More than likely they won't happen though becuase I already have an sturdy integrated hitch and reciever mounted clevis ring. Any input is welcome.

if i were you i might weld a plate across the backside of that bracket the pin is in, as long as there is enough clearance for it to still swing. i might be worried about that angle bending. other than that i think it looks great. if you have a hitch i dont see any real need for d rings unless you need to pull off center for some reason.

matt1994xj said:
if i were you i might weld a plate across the backside of that bracket the pin is in, as long as there is enough clearance for it to still swing. i might be worried about that angle bending. other than that i think it looks great. if you have a hitch i dont see any real need for d rings unless you need to pull off center for some reason.

X2

Well I didn't get too much done today. I cut down the arm to where it triangulates. I think it looks a little better, and took some high leverage weight off. Other than that I got a couple pieces of the other side tacked together. Tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to do a little more.

P1010134.jpg

P1010136.jpg

P1010137.jpg

This
P1010135.jpg

As compared to
P1010119.jpg

And here's a pic of the car hauler that my dad, bro, and myself have also been working on. It was built form complete scratch, totally around the XJ. Will even be using the stock 6 spoke Jeep wheels :)
P1010130.jpg

More updates tomorrow.

Last edited:
Personally I think it would look a lot more professional to have rounded corners at the end of the bumper section than those sharp edge ones you have now. Could hurt if you bumped into it too. Just slice some tube into 1/4's and insert them in after cutting away the area needed.

Back