• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Thread...

Yes, it is 2x4x1/8. Like I said above. And yes, I will take some pictures of the rack and hinge/latch as well. It's still in progress, slowly but surely. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get some more done on it.

since i used some of dans ideas i think i'll add my rear bumper build on to his thread... not to hijack, but to add to it.

started taking pictures a little bit into it, my camera was dead.

here is the frame rail bits cut, and notched and inserted: Click for bigger pics

beautiful

mocked up and tacked:

more to come, it is far from over.

Oh not a problem at all, more power to ya. Why waste more bandwith. Everytime I try and work on mine, it seems like somethng has to happen. Last week I was gonna try to - and we got 4 inches of snow. Again a couple days ago I thought after my little snowboarding trip I would knock the finishing touches out... Nope, dislocated some fingers toward the end of the night. Don't worry it'll be done soon enough :)

yeah we def. need some updated pics of yours... but i guess fingers help that out a bit. hope you had fun doing it tho:rolleyes:

Thought I had posted mine here, but here you go...been taking hits for 2 years and hasnt flinched at all. I used similar tie ins to the nut strips and crossmember as most others.
P1010195.jpg

P1010198.jpg

with tire carrier...
P1010010.jpg

latch...
P1010012.jpg

cut quarters w/ guards
P1010169-1.jpg

P1010001.jpg

on the Rubicon w/ jerry can holder (not holding jerry can...)
P1010039.jpg

Last one...with the corner of each side cut at an angle, kinda hard to see but lets it slide off the corner easier than before.
P1010357.jpg

This was my first welding project on the jeep and it was well worth it cuz I got the metal for free for building this bumper for a friend...
P1010191.jpg

P1010194.jpg

Both of those look nice, and 100% functional, which is what I always strive for. The only thing I would question on the red one, are the end pieces (that meet the tail lights) boxed? Or are they just free welded for looks? I boxed mine because I know they would get caked with mud that would never come out lol.

They are just for looks on the Red one, I dont think that jeep was ever really going to see any offroad, kinda just because and to look close to stock!

Is ur white jeep the one in Eric's book...because that was my favorite XJ out of all of 'em. i love the white on black. i based most of my rig off or urs, like the lift height and tire sizes.

definetly a sweet rig! keep it up!!

-Brendan

those all look AWESOME guys!!! wish i had the time and the know how to be able to do that. one day, possibly..........

Yup...thats mine from Erics book. Changed alot since then, 35's, gears & lockers, custom front bumper, rear poly quarter guards, frame plating...probably more. here is the most recent photo, thanks for compliments by the way!:spin1:
P1010347.jpg

P1010346.jpg

P1010349.jpg

VET8911 said:
Yup...thats mine from Erics book. Changed alot since then, 35's, gears & lockers, custom front bumper, rear poly quarter guards, frame plating...probably more. here is the most recent photo, thanks for compliments by the way!:spin1:
P1010347.jpg

P1010346.jpg

P1010349.jpg

Like the idea of your fuel door! I remember seeing them on a boating site. Any info on where they can be purchased?

Ron

I got it at West Marine... it was only like $8 so if a rock takes it out, oh well!
Thanks, the quarter guards should hold up okay, for the one time I have hit that area on the trail I think they will do fine.

here is a little update:

DSC01119.jpg

hole drilled for the spindle:

DSC01120.jpg

the plate i put in the inside for the spindle to rest on, i welded one side of the spindle to this.
DSC01121.jpg

the spindle i put together, i took a wagon trailer spindle, and a heavy duty sleeve off of a industrial lawn mower deck, and had the spindle milled down to fit the sleeve.
DSC01122.jpg

test fitting the spindle and hole:
DSC01123.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

and welded.
DSC01126.jpg

Last edited:
so i was talking to a guy, and he said that if i was going to box the whole thing in and seal it off why not make it an air tank.... has anyone else done this? seems very plausible to me, just put a fitting somewhere where it wont get hit. any input would be sweet....

d-giggity

dgrigorenko said:
so i was talking to a guy, and he said that if i was going to box the whole thing in and seal it off why not make it an air tank.... has anyone else done this? seems very plausible to me, just put a fitting somewhere where it wont get hit. any input would be sweet....

d-giggity
Yea that'd be cool... until you bounced off a rock and cracked a weld, losing all the air pressure you were RELYING on for the trail.

And good luck getting those welds air tight under pressure.

ok so what you are saying is that its possible... sweet.

Back