• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Thread...

Here's few of my homebrew I did last winter.

P1010506.jpg

P1010508.jpg

P1010513.jpg

P1010510.jpg

P1010523.jpg

backside.jpg

What I started from:
rendered.jpg

DanMan2k06 said:
^ Learn to read... There will be a bracket that captures the carrier. Almost like a sandwhich. And the bolt goes all the way through the bumper... whereas most are just butt-welded on top of the bumper. Hence "flagpole"... a flagpole just sits on top of the ground.
That'll work ok but, you should weld a tube (sleeve) into the bumper to keep from "crushing" the rectangular tube ;) -----Hans

Wow that looks really good. The idea behind the bolt is so that in the future if something does go wrong, I can repair it a lot easier than if everything was welded together.

I'm thinking about putting a sleeve inside the tube, but it would have to be a perfect 1" and slip over bolt. Otherwise it wouldn't serve any purpose. We'll see how things turn out in the next couple of days.

What I really need your guys' help on is the tire carrier. I want the tire to be angled over the rear window, much like the c-rok. But like most people, don't have a tube bender. Anyone have any previous designs/drawings?

Well I made a little more progress today. Got the tire carrier almost completed. Just have to finish up a few more welds and put on the pattern plate. I tried to make the carrier as low profile as possible, I'm not a fan of the tire being a foot away from the glass. wasn't too tough, and my spindle feels pretty stiff, even without the bracing on yet.

I also talked to a friend of mine, who said I could use his sandblasting room when everything is finished :) Pics...

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

Last edited:
Ah I see... That clears up a lot of things. Mine will be seperate from the bumper for now, as I want to cut and fold the rear qaurters later.

Where do you guys get your toggle pull latches? Anywhere locally? I checked Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Tru Value, Tractor Supply, Southern States, Napa, Pep Boys, Wal-Mart, all with absolutely NOTHING!!

DanMan2k06 said:
........Where do you guys get your toggle pull latches? Anywhere locally? I checked Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Tru Value, Tractor Supply, Southern States, Napa, Pep Boys, Wal-Mart, all with absolutely NOTHING!!
Those are made by: www.destacoclamp.com You can get them from: www.mcmaster.com (look under toggle clamps) they can usually have them delivered to you by the next day----------Hans

Jeeps in Head said:
Damn nice bumper jdbwrx.

Thanks!

I got my clasp from mcmaster. Go heavier than you would think (higher weight rating) just to be on the safe side.

On the side opposite of the spindle, I can't figure out if you built it so it would have a pad or support. If you look at mine, I did that. I figured, when the tire swing is closed, all the weight is not resting on the spindle. I got a piece of UHMV so the swing will slide easily over the top, and made it so I have to give it a little tug up so there is a bit of downward pressure on that support too.

Just a thought.

Another note I had, in case anyone else is thinking about doing there own bumper, was is in regards to the angle the tire is mounted on. I really like when the tire follows the angle of the tailgate, but the only downside I have found is you have to open the swing out past 90 to get the rear hatch open. This might not be a problem if the tire is centered on the swing, but since mine was offset to the side so I have some rearward visibility, it comes up from time to time. Not an issue outdoors or on the trail, but can be a pain in the one car garage. Also on a plus, the angle like that helps the departure angle.

Last edited:
Yea I figured I would just have to order one from mcmastercarr. On the opposite side of the carrier there will be a pad that the arm rest on. I picked up some big blocks of Teflon that the arm will pull up onto, and be sandwhiched against. I just need some sort of latch to hold everything together.

If there is a fastenal near you you can order it through themand get it delivered to your house or pic it up at the store. I got mine at the store in 2 days www.fastenal.com search for latch and they will come up de-sta-co and others as well. I used a hockey puck that I had left over from bumpstops and I used a 2 1/4 inch hole saw trimmed it down and bolted it to the bumper works great is durable and very cheap

Last edited:
Like I said, www.mcmaster.com
Pg 2514 in the catalog (website catalog)

They ship everything overnight.

There are three different options there. U-bolt arm, u-bolt arm locking, U-bolt arm 90 degrees

Holding weight ranging from 360 lbs to 7500lbs.

I think I got the 2000lb one, but I can double check later. I did get the one with the locking latch. It's just an extra spring loaded clip that helps hold it closed. Better safe than sorry I figured.

Here:

mcmaster.jpg

Yea I just ordered one from mcmastercarr, and WOW I was suprised to see how fast they shipped it. I ordered at maybe 3 or 4pm, woke up, ran a few errands, and by noon the part was sitting on my doorstep. Talk about quick. Tomorrow I am going balls to the walls and spending all day finishing everything.

Well it's been about a month, so that means time for an update.

Update: I worked on my rear carrier for the first time in a month.... :)

Heres a few new pics. I focused today on the side "panels" that blend the bumper into the rest of the body.

good thing I passed geometry.
IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Both side panels, are actually going to be more like boxes. So they wrap completely around and back to the bumper again. That way no mud/water can get wedged in between the body and bumper, and makes things easier to wash out.

Last edited:
DanMan2k06 said:
Well I made some progress tonight, I pretty much have the bracket design figured out. I'm using 2.0x4.0x1/8 tubing, which will push all the way into the frame, and bolt in underneath, as well as the stock locations. I also cut a slot down the tubing so that the shackle bolt slides in nicely. I don't think it should have any effect on overall integrity. Heres some pics.

Heres the 4 holes.
IMG_1501.jpg

Heres what I had to cut out to get the tube to fit
IMG_1500.jpg

Like a glove
IMG_1499.jpg

Heres the slot
IMG_1502.jpg

A few holes drilled
IMG_1505.jpg

And of course a look down the tube to see how it all lines up.
IMG_1508.jpg

The nuts will be welded inside the tube, and then bolts will be used to secure everything to the frame. I should have more pics on the stock flange/plate in a few.

does anyone know what size tube this is? i think i am going to build a bumper and use this mounting system.

anyone have any close-ups of this tire rack?Whats it made of? A close-up of the pivot point and latch point?Also a pic of the tire mounting area itself!

Carrier-On-2.jpg

Last edited:
here is the bumper i made a few months ago for myself. I like how yours is going too though.
myjeep1.jpg

myjeep2.jpg

myjeep5.jpg

Sorry the pics where not really of the bumper when i took them, but of the flares so i did not get all the right angles on the pics to do the bumper justice

Back