• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting a child seat in my 88 XJ

Oh, I'm keeping it alright. At 300k+ miles, it's just now barely broken in. I've thought about those shoulder belts, but had no idea if Jeep makes a kit to retrofit or not. I asked multiple dealers, they had no idea.

Who makes yours? Where you'd get it? Hard to install? Part number/price?

What's your part number on the two tether point kits you have? Price? If they are for your 89, any reason why they would not fit on my 88?

They're Chrysler parts, look them up on a 1996 XJ, I don't believe they officially released them for 1988 but the body is the same.

As for the shoulder belts in 1989 the bosses for the upper mounts are in place in the roofline. I'm not sure if they are in 1988. Pull the trim and look under for a hole where the shoulder belts bolt. The inner quarter panel would also have the holes for the belt and retractor.

It's possible they didn't have that in 1988, it could be in my '89 because of a ramp up for 1990. If so there does exist a dealer option shoulder belt kit for 1984 - 1989 XJs but it's very rare, it will take a lot of looking around to get the actual kit.

The shoulder belt bosses you're talking about: pull the trim between the doors, and I'm looking for a hole in the roof? Ok.

The easiest way to spot it will be by taking the inner quarter panel trip pieces off. See those two rectangular holes up top? That's for the seat belt. If you have them you probably also have some bolt holes for the retractor on the inner panel and wheel well pinch seam. If you see the hole I'd go to a yard and pull the complete seat belt assembly from a 1990 - 1996 XJ. There are reinforcement plates at each bolt, cut these out and graft them to your Jeep.

The only hole you should have to drill will be the lower bolt hole mount. I'll try to post a comprehensive thread on this subject when I get around to completing my retrofit.

8224d1258857439t-turtle-project-1989-xj-066.jpg

I'd love to know how to do this when you get around to it. If anyone else has fotos, let's see 'em. That might solve my shoulder harness a bit further down the road. First up is this tether point for me though.

I've had the trim out before, and I do remember the holes being there now that I see your fotos. I guess I might see if I can find an XJ @ a junkyard around here. Last few times I went looking for one they were MIA. Used to be a ton though...At least that way maybe I can pull an old one and see the other holes you were talking about.

Oh...cutting the mounting plates out with...a sawzall maybe? Other ideas?

Last edited:
Here are those pictures I promised you.

17BFB51E-6739-4736-B791-9C204D82DFDC_zps9pep1d0g.jpg

42E9419B-D370-47C0-BE5A-58DB5BCE28E6_zpsbpt2zpar.jpg

Thanks. That's your....WJ? Did you say it came with that tether as OEM new? Wonder if it would fit my XJ? I like the location of it.

No. This is my XJ. It is OEM.

Ohhhhh...I like it. Now I have to see if I can find/install one. Just what I was looking for. Maybe it will work in mine?

I may have found one, but it starts on the 2002 XJ, according to the parts guy. Maybe yours is a late-model year version. Anyhow, it's PN 55196861AB.

Anyone with this year model (or later) actually had the rear trim apart? Trying to find out if this would work in mine or not. I'd need to put it in the middle seat position of the rear bench in order to work.

There is no 2002 XJ. The 2001 model year was the end of the line. Your parts guy is an idiot. Mine is a 2001 and it was an April production run.

Let me see how hard it is to get that top rear trim off to expose the mounting brackets. There are no hooks in the middle seat position from the factory.

I just pulled my trim off at the back rear top of the cargo area. All I have is 6 punched holes to grab the 6 screws that hold the damn thing on. Love to hear if you've just got a bolt and a threaded(?) hole behind that trim. I may have to drill and tap mine, if possible. I checked all the junkyards around me: only XJs currently on the lot are 97s. Mostly WJs in lot inventory now.

Let me retract that last statement. Mine DOES have 3 latches - one for each rear seat belt.

This is how it is mounted to the roof.
D60047AF-2952-4454-BD4E-0A932742BA36_zpsz6ltdc7n.jpg

This it the WHOLE kit. A tapped hole, a latch, a 13mm bolt, and a small spacer:
C70E2F43-2A00-4A96-A0F8-6B07D3C5ADE6_zpszclnd1n4.jpg

D0F1B631-643D-4E15-9B0F-5CF73659CD00_zpsnlsobnga.jpg

For reference - this is what it looks like in a 2004 WJ.
7D144A6A-E9C1-4BC9-9A2A-66F05A6ACEEB_zpsgopzld81.jpg

FYI what we are referring to here are what they call rear tether hooks, not LATCH (those are at the seat base and were never available on an XJ). Also the roofline mounted ones were late model only and may have relied on a more enhanced roof crossmember.

As for threads for the shoulder belts the OEM setup had a plate with a welded bit spot welded in place, it is super simple to recreate that. I'll try to get a photo mid-week when I return home.

Yep. I've given up on the LATCH hooks, since they don't appear do-able, even for a retro-fit. I've been told the tether for the XJ (in Cottontail's posting) is NLA anywhere and is not in stock at any dealer in the country. It's PN 55196861AB.

Check your inbox Greg...just sent you some information back channel. I might know where a set of tethers are.

And regarding the WJ, hard to tell how it attaches. it is a ways inboard and way up under the headliner. I'm not inclined to tear it apart to look! It was easy on the XJ!

Yep and yep. My thoughts exactly on the WJ. The XJ route is easier, even if I have to weld a bit (worst case.)

Any update on this project? Were you able to source any tethers?​

Back