• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project 2000 XJ (Daily Driver)

Diesel, what a wonderful story you've written up. Very entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to show us what you've done.

Thank you, and you're welcome!

After reading all 16 pages, I do have one question.

After you determined a ride height of 4", how did you decide between long arms or short arms and drop brackets?

I decided to stick with short arms due to DPG OFFROAD’s recommendation. With that being said, DPG’s 4” OME Hybrid Kit doesn’t come with dropdown brackets. I added them to keep the lower control arms near OE specifications. Obviously, the long arm would be a nice upgrade too, but I didn’t feel that it was necessary for what I use the Jeep for. I was told that the dropdown brackets would improve ride quality.

Since I'm on dusty roads 90% of the time, I decided to add a Filter Minder as a way to monitor the condition of the air filter.

16363599_large.jpg

16363596_large.jpg

Thanks for the kind words 20jeep00 and Tony_SS. I’ve got several projects going on at the moment, so I haven’t been able to give much attention to the Jeep besides the usual maintenance. I worked the Jeep pretty hard all summer and into the fall. Since buying the XJ, I haven’t replaced any seals or gaskets, but fixing leaks is long overdue. I’m hoping to get the Jeep in for some much needed repairs.

I've been collecting exhaust parts for a few years. I'm getting closer to having everything that I need to replace the entire exhaust system.

XJexhaust001_zps9a3dc33c.jpg

XJexhaust002_zps5154fc54.jpg

I need to replace my exhaust system too... but since my XJ is still running OK I've been spending my time and $$ elsewhere. Please take pics when you do the exhaust swap as I'll be needing to do the same likely next Spring. :)

I need to replace my exhaust system too... but since my XJ is still running OK I've been spending my time and $$ elsewhere. Please take pics when you do the exhaust swap as I'll be needing to do the same likely next Spring. :)

I noticed an exhaust leak a few weeks ago, so that's why it got pushed up on the list. Plus, the factory exhaust is about wore out. I'm currently using the XJ to haul brush and firewood while the weather is holding up. Once the snow gets too deep, then I'm out of commission for a few months. Most of the repairs and maintenance will happen during the winter months when I don't need the Jeep as much. The only exhaust pipe that I'm missing is the front pipe that goes from the Y-pipe (catalytic converter) to the third converter. Anyone know where I can find one?

Listed below are the part numbers for replacement oxygen sensors:

NTK Part # 23506 Upstream Rear
NTK Part # 23151 Upstream Front
NTK Part # 23110 Downstream Front
NTK Part # 23099 Downstream Rear

Since I do not live in California, I was told to get the federal emission standards, therefore, I ordered two (#23506) and two of the (#23099).

02sensors001_zps02a45a8e.jpg

02sensors002_zps81135c8c.jpg

Here's the last piece of pipe that I needed. I now have everything from the header to the tailpipe. All I need are two gaskets, an insulator, and a hanger.

XJPipe002_zpscaafda95.jpg

they didn't make that in a mandrel bend?

I was a little surprised myself since it's a Walker product (OE replacement). When buying from Rock Auto, this was the only choice. There are more pipe selections with the 1999 and older models, but I had a difficult time finding the front pipe for the 2000/2001 XJ. I'm not saying that someone doesn't make a mandrel bend for my application, I'm simply stating that I didn't find one.

Ya, unfortunately it's hard to get a mandrel bent and those that you can find are like 3x the cost. Gaskets, you can just go to an autozone or other brick and mortar place and you can get those gaskets for a few bucks.

I was a little surprised myself since it's a Walker product (OE replacement). When buying from Rock Auto, this was the only choice. There are more pipe selections with the 1999 and older models, but I had a difficult time finding the front pipe for the 2000/2001 XJ. I'm not saying that someone doesn't make a mandrel bend for my application, I'm simply stating that I didn't find one.

I replaced my down pipe on my 2000 with the same one. I couldn't find any other pipes available for the 2000-2001 models. The only other option was to have a shop make one.

Back