• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project 2000 XJ (Daily Driver)

Talyn, unfortunetly the FFD is the same radiator as the champion. Just different dealers and FFD spray paints their logo on there. Either way, if you decide to get one, have it pressure tested before installing!

According to the ebay seller where I bought my FFD from, he said that FFD builds the fans but the radiators are built in the same factory that builds the FLUIDYNE radiators using the FFDynamics logo.

According to the ebay seller where I bought my FFD from, he said that FFD builds the fans but the radiators are built in the same factory that builds the FLUIDYNE radiators using the FFDynamics logo.

I would contact Fluidyne and ask them directly. I would be willing to bet they would strongly disagree.

Having owned a Fluidyne, there is no way in hell the FFD is made by them. I'll try to snap some pics of my Champion so it can be compared to the FFD. From your pics, they are quite literally identical minus the FFD logo.

Dirty dirty dirty
Directly from FFD regarding availability of the radiator:

Unless they changed recently.

They are simply waiting for their shipment to arrive. :shhh:

It takes us typically 2-3 months to have a batch order come in from china... or whenever they feel like it, so it could be up to a year.

If the FFD is just a logo-spraypainted Champion, then I'm not going to drop my $$ on their product. Like I had mentioned previously ... in my communications w/ FFD about purchasing one of their Heavy Duty TT Kits (radiator, electric fans and shroud) and me relaying the problems I've had w/2 Champion Radiators leaking where the tank and fins are 'welded' together... they've advised me to not purchase an all aluminum tank. They said I'd have continued problems in that my frame must be damaged or something and that the torque/stress put on an all aluminum radiator would lead to leaking. They recommended I stick to an OE plastic tanked radiator :(

Just heard back f/ FFD regarding their radiators... here's the response I got.

"Our radiators are not built and have nothing to do with Champion, and if you put the two together and dissected them, you would see that our quality is much beefier and our welds are much stronger. We no longer build our production radiators ourselves, just our one off custom radiators, so we do outsource them over seas as the cost factor and the limited radiators that we do sell are just not worth it for us, as when we had to cut our work force two years ago, we started outsourcing our radiators. This does not mean that our radiators are run of the mill, like the rest of the $50 radiators that you see floating around, our radiators are built in the largest radiator factory in the world, to our exact specs. And this factory also builds radiators for some of the top names in this industry. We pride ourselves on building fan systems, and every extreme system that is ordered, is hand built right here, by us, as they are ordered, as we are about cooling fans and fan control systems, as well as a few specialty parts. By outsourcing the radiators, we are able to keep our costs down to a price that is 1/3 of what the big companies are pricing. And yes, we do pressure test our radiators as they come in. We also, bore scope our cores to make sure they are clear of any debris or bent tubes. Our warranty speaks for itself. If our radiators were cheap garbage, with no quality control, our warranty of free replacement no questions asked, would put us out of business quickly. "

Thought this was appropriate to post. I'm still debating on what radiator and fan system I want to go, but looks like FFD's radiator is high up on my list so far. Just not sure I want to run the Extreme TT Fan kit since I live in Oklahoma and our Summer Temps get over 100 degrees for weeks if not months at a time.

Here’s what my eBay seller said, "def not a champion because we also sell champion rads to walk in customers that need a cheap rad fast, the difference is night and day, only thing champion has going for it is it has rads for every type car out there where ffd is pretty much limited to there certain cars and trucks."

This picture was taken back in the Fall before the snow started to fly. We have about 7 acres of property cleared and mowed. The Jeep has been a workhorse.

16062787_large.jpg

DUDE! How is the upgrades going? I hope all is well. My truck was out of commission for over a month getting flooded by Sandy. I just got her back up and running 2 weeks ago.

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Champagne wishes and caviar dreams!!!

DUDE! How is the upgrades going?
The upgrades are a little slow. I'm about to have a well drilled, so I have been putting extra money into that project. For the most part, I'm just trying to keep the Jeep in good working condition.
I hope all is well. My truck was out of commission for over a month getting flooded by Sandy. I just got her back up and running 2 weeks ago.
Sorry to hear about your Jeep. How bad did it get flooded?
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Champagne wishes and caviar dreams!!!
You too buddy! God Bless!

I’ve been looking at different types of window deflectors for the Jeep Cherokee. After off-roading in a vehicle that uses window deflectors, I really saw the practical purposes for having them. I like that they reduce wind noise, shield rain/snow while letting the cab vent air, and they help reduce window fogging. I also like the fact that I can crack the window (reducing carbon monoxide) during the winter months and not have to worry about letting too much cold air in. In the summer months, I can reduce interior heat and drive down gravel/dirt roads without letting too much dust into the cab.

In my search, I compared the Rugged Ridge, AVS Aerovisor and the WeatherTech. I decided that the best option would be the WeatherTech Deflector because they do not use double sided exterior tape for the install. Instead, they slip into the channels with adhesive to best secure them. However, others who have the WeatherTechs say that they hold themselves into place even without the need for adhesive. In that case, the WeatherTech is somewhat "removable" whereas the others are more "permanent". I would like to repaint my Jeep at some point and it’s nice knowing that the WeatherTechs can be removed and replaced.

For Christmas, the jeep got some WeatherTechs

16066501_large.jpg

Love Your KJ... (hopefully that doesn't get me bashed here... ha) My wife loves her '03 KJ. Been pretty dependable and a great 'street' ride for us. Of course we did have to replace a blown engine @ 125K miles... but other than that it's been mostly dependable. Ha.

I changed out the air filter:

16095321_large.jpg

The Currie steering has arrived.

15965563_large.jpg

I finally had the Currie steering installed. It's a night and day difference in how the front-end feels and handles compared to the worn-out OE steering. So far, I’m very happy with the upgrade.

16167617_large.jpg

16167622_large.jpg

Hey dieselenthusiast,

I'm new to this forum, any forum for that matter. I've been following Project 2000 XJ DD and I like what you've done with all of the additional filters. I'm in SW Florida, 7months out of the year we see 90+ temps with 100% humidity.:firedevil I going to follow in your footsteps with all of the filters with the addition of a heavy duty oil cooler and a heavy duty transmission cooler....eventually one for the powersteering aswell. Heat is the enemy down here. This is NOT my first 4x4 but it is my first XJ. I couldn't find a more practical DD/Bugout vehicle. Yes, I am a closet prepper and a libertarian! Seating for 5, decent fuel economy, capable off road in stock form, millions of junkyard replacement parts, simple electronics, highly upgradable. I'll start posting pic soon as I too try to live dept free, they will be slow going.

bugout, I would agree, the XJ is a great rig for utilitarian purposes. Be sure to post up if you have any questions. I'm glad to hear that you're a libertarian! Stay debt free!

Last edited:
I've decided to upgrade to the DirtBound Offroad fan shroud. It's specifically designed for the FF Dynamics electric fan conversion kit. The shroud is made from 16 gauge aluminum. It's CNC plasma cut and precision bent The shroud comes with all hardware needed for installation. The fan shroud is suppose to increase cooling by 20%.

timthumb.php

timthumb.php

Last edited:
Diesel, what a wonderful story you've written up. Very entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to show us what you've done.

After reading all 16 pages, I do have one question.

After you determined a ride height of 4", how did you decide between long arms or short arms and drop brackets?

Back