• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project 2000 XJ (Daily Driver)

Diesel,
Dude, hurry up! this guy here joined just so he can post and see ur project :eyes::roflmao:
j/k "patience" makes perfect project :thumbup:

Any chance we can get some recent pictures of the Jeep? Anxious to see how the total picture looks inside and out. Have really enjoyed the read so far.

haolepinoy, welcome to the forum!

Any chance we can get some recent pictures of the Jeep? Anxious to see how the total picture looks inside and out. Have really enjoyed the read so far.

I’ll try to get some updated pictures soon. Thanks for expressing interest in the build. I’ve got several projects lined up; I just need to find the time to get them done.

After several days of testing the new anti-rattle hitch pin, I must say that I’m very satisfied. I didn’t realize how much noise the ball mount was making until I finally silenced it. Even with towing a heavy load of firewood, there is absolutely no noise behind the Jeep.

15959790_large.jpg

15959791_large.jpg

In the above picture, you can see how tight the turning radius is, plus the Jeep’s spare tire is a nuisance when trying to lower or raise the jack stand. There’s not not enough clearance to swing the jack stand handle without hitting the spare tire. To remedy this problem, I’m adding a hitch extension to extend the ball mount past the spare tire. The longer extension should also reduce jackknifing when I need to make tight turns.

I went with a heavy duty hitch extension with dual receivers. I “think” I have a plan for the dual receiver, but I’m going to save that discussion for another day.

Roadmaster Dual Hitch Receiver
Dual receivers have 2" x 2" openings
Towing Capacity: 10,000 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 400 lbs.
Cost: $94.95

15959792_large.jpg

Last edited:
Every few months or so, I run a bottle of Amsoil Performance Improver through the tank. One bottle treats 20 gallons of gasoline. The recommended interval is 4,000 miles or 100 hours of off-road use. It works like most gasoline additive treatments.

• Improves Fuel Mileage
  • Reduces Exhaust Emissions (lowers hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrous Oxides)
  • Restores Power
  • Cleans Entire Fuel System (removes damaging fuel injector, intake valve and combustion chamber deposits)
15959793_large.jpg

In the above picture, you can see how tight the turning radius is, plus the Jeep’s spare tire is a nuisance when trying to lower or raise the jack stand. There’s not not enough clearance to swing the jack stand handle without hitting the spare tire. To remedy this problem, I’m adding a hitch extension to extend the ball mount past the spare tire. The longer extension should also reduce jackknifing when I need to make tight turns.

I went with a heavy duty hitch extension with dual receivers. I “think” I have a plan for the dual receiver, but I’m going to save that discussion for another day.

Roadmaster Dual Hitch Receiver
Dual receivers have 2" x 2" openings
Towing Capacity: 10,000 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 400 lbs.
Cost: $94.95

15959792_large.jpg

Did you consider other possible solutions to reducing interference other than a hitch extension? I think the best solution would be a new trailer jack that is slightly smaller or trying to lower the existing jack if at all possible. How about fabbing a mount to raise the spare tire up a few inches? That hitch extension will drastically increase the moment (torque) that the tongue weight subjects the bumper/receiver to. I don't have a ton of towing experience but from an engineering standpoint, I feel like those two other options might be a better idea.

That hitch extension will drastically increase the moment (torque) that the tongue weight subjects the bumper/receiver to. I don't have a ton of towing experience but from an engineering standpoint, I feel like those two other options might be a better idea.

Actually, there’s very little ill-effect from using a hitch extender. I’ve seen them up to 34” in length. The one that I bought is only 14 ¾” in total length and 10 ¼” from hole to hole. Clearing the spare tire was only one reason for getting the extender. The extension also allows me to take tighter turns. The bigger issue to towing is to make sure your trailer is level and the load on the trailer is equally distributed.

As for carrying such loads, I built my lift to accommodate the extra weight of the rear bumper, tire carrier, and to enhance towing purposes, hence the extra OME add-a-leaf in the rear.

Last edited:
Actually, there’s very little ill-effect from using a hitch extender. I’ve seen them up to 34” in length. The one that I bought is only 14 ¾” in total length and 10 ¼” from hole to hole. Clearing the spare tire was only one reason for getting the extender. The extension also allows me to take tighter turns. The bigger issue to towing is to make sure your trailer is level and the load on the trailer is equally distributed.

As for carrying such loads, I built my lift to accommodate the extra weight of the rear bumper, tire carrier, and to enhance towing purposes, hence the extra OME add-a-leaf in the rear.

For your situation, towing lighter loads, there probably isn't too much of an issue with a hitch extender. To say there is very little ill-effects of using hitch extenders is far from the truth. They reduce the overall acceptable tongue weight, they increase side loads during turning and emergency maneuvers, and they put much more stress on the already weak OEM hitch. I would never consider using a 34" hitch extender nor would I want to be on the road around someone using one. For heavy duty towing, you would really need something like a Torklift Superhitch.

For your situation, towing lighter loads, there probably isn't too much of an issue with a hitch extender.

That was the point I was trying to make.

To say there is very little ill-effects of using hitch extenders is far from the truth. They reduce the overall acceptable tongue weight, they increase side loads during turning and emergency maneuvers, and they put much more stress on the already weak OEM hitch. I would never consider using a 34" hitch extender nor would I want to be on the road around someone using one. For heavy duty towing, you would really need something like a Torklift Superhitch.

I do not disagree with you, but the content of this discussion is not about towing heavy loads. I own a 2006 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel and I'm very familiar with towing. I have a travel trailer, cargo trailer, and a gooseneck lowboy and I’ve towed up 17,000 lb loads. There isn't a need for a hitch extension on larger trailers. Hitch extensions are simply used for bike carriers and towing small trailers that need the extra clearance or to improve turning. If hitch extensions are being used for what they are intended for, there are no ill-effects.

Last edited:
Onboard air is nice, but sometimes I need portable air.

20lb CO2 tank
- 0-150 psi adjustable regulator
- Built-in valve guard/handle
- High strength aluminum alloy
- dimensions - height: 28" diameter: 8"

15962145_large.jpg

15962142_large.jpg

I have the same bumper minus the tire carrier. The extender would be worth it if for no other reason than the pita of hooking up the hitch and hooks with that bumper.

Yeah, I hear ya. I had to make some modifications to the chain just to be able to get my chains on JCR’s built-in bumper hooks.

where did you get the mount for the CO2 tank? ive been looking for one for mine.

The regulator and mounting bracket came with the tank. I purchased the setup from a 4wheel shop in Colorado.

After looking at many steering manufacturers, I ended up choosing Currie. Their kits are 100% bolt-on and designed to work with the OE pitman arm.

Currie Currectlync Heavy Duty Tie Rod and Drag Link System
Part #: CE-9701

The Currie steering has arrived.

15965563_large.jpg

It would be very convenient having a 12V receptacle in the cargo area. After looking at several 12V receptacles, I liked the Marino the best. It’s heavy duty and has two very solid mounting options to choose from.

Marinco 12V Receptacle
$13.48

15983411_large.jpg

I also bought a dual accessory outlet made by enercell. This will especially come in handy for the two 12V Coleman coolers that we often times use.

15983410_large.jpg

Back