• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NOT a budget buggy build

I picked up some discarded links from someone else's old rig, some of which I'll be able to use. Lowers, uppers, track bars....all front and rear, and a tie rod and drag link. One track bar and one upper arm are bent, but the joints are all good. The lowers are chromo with 1.25x1" rod ends. Two are 23" long and two are 25" long. I'll use the 25" ones for the front lowers which will work just right for my setup. In the rear I'll use the 1.25" rod ends and make new links using 2" .250 wall sleeved with 1.5" .120 wall. I haven't decided on length yet, probably something in the 38-40" range.

All of the upper links I got use 3/4" rod ends, and all the ends are in good condition. I'll use one for the front, where I'm comfortable with one link using 3/4" ends, but I don't know about the rear. I'm thinking I don't want a single upper rear arm with 3/4" rod ends, so at this point I'm planning to make a link using 7/8" ends, which I can make from the 1.5" .120 wall DOM that will be used on much of the cage. Still thinking about the design of the rear 3 link........

cracker said:
It won't be too much weight savings since the most of the vehicle is made out of 22 guage. There is only so much you can get rid of.

What does the yellow one weigh?

The 60 front weighs about 150# more than the 44? And the rear is probably the same as mine wich is about 300# (and that is about 50# more than the 9"). You won't be that far off Richard.

The way it sits now, it weighs 3600 lbs. The 37's weigh a little more than the 35's, and there will be quite a bit more tubing than the cage that's on it, but the whole floor and frame will be removed behind the front seats. Plus, I'm using a plastic fuel cell so there will be some weight savings from the factory tank and skid. I'll be happy if I can keep it at the 3600 lbs.

Updates with pictures? How about some tech pictures and updates of Crashes projects too? I hear about adding an atlas , redoing crossmembers, building fabricated rear links etc. but haven't seen anything. Jeff

All I got done last weekend was to finish getting the garage organized enough to park the Jeep in there, pulled the cage of of it, pulled the seats out, and did some more cutting around the A pillar. I also took and logged a whole bunch of measurements so I can figure out where to put things as it all goes together. I'm also spending a lot of time figuring out where tubes are going to go and how to build the link suspension. The front of this is going to be tight, since the front will be narrowed to the line/ridge that runs down the hood, and the winch will be mounted underneath the radiator. There won't be anything in front of the current end of the frame at the bumber mounts, and I'm going to use the grill.

Lot's and lot's of thinking going on right now...........

The bender is mounted in the garage, and 220 ft of DOM tubing is sitting there waiting to be used.

Also, ordered a few things:
M-Tech tubing notcher
new PSC steering pump
Two PRP seats
12 gal fuel cell
14" SAW coilovers

You'll have to get CRASH to start his own thread about his latest URF modifications. :)

Rich... I am 100% for the dates. I just need a place to sleep and shower! Check your PMs.

Lets hope we dont fubar to much of that tube. :viking:

'Cause a PRP high back with tweed cloth is $219. FarmerMatt has them in his buggy, and they're nice seats, and PolyPerformance (where I'm getting most of the parts) carries them.

I did some more cutting tonight. I'll do the other side, and maybe start bending some tube, on Thursday evening.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

These rims are only 2 1/2" backspacing, so with the 63" axle width and how much I'm narrowing things the outside of the body/cage will be even with the inside of the tire.

Last edited:
Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Updates with pictures? How about some tech pictures and updates of Crashes projects too? I hear about adding an atlas , redoing crossmembers, building fabricated rear links etc. but haven't seen anything. Jeff

Too busy web-wheeling. Things I have done this winter:

Atlas and new three link. Done, pics in the pic forum.

Re-did cage through the firewall, capturing front springs and engine crossover. Done.

Custom dash since old one would not fit with new cage. Almost done, needs bondo and paint.

Re-wire underhood. Done.

Rear linking. Not attempted, too much time, money, and I'm not convinced it's better than my Nationals.

Anyway, see the picture forum, search under my name.

Went ahead and cut the rockers out on the other side this morning.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

CRASH said:
Too busy web-wheeling. Things I have done this winter:

Atlas and new three link. Done, pics in the pic forum.

Re-did cage through the firewall, capturing front springs and engine crossover. Done.

Custom dash since old one would not fit with new cage. Almost done, needs bondo and paint.

Re-wire underhood. Done.

Rear linking. Not attempted, too much time, money, and I'm not convinced it's better than my Nationals.

Anyway, see the picture forum, search under my name.

Andy, you have some of the best advanced tech in the last few months, and you buried it in the picture forum. BTW, that stuff drops out of there after awhile and isn't available to search..........get it over here where it belongs. :D

Richard, does this mean someone else is going to take stupid lines with me next year? Matt alwasy wusses out before he rolls over.

lugie said:
Richard, does this mean someone else is going to take stupid lines with me next year? Matt alwasy wusses out before he rolls over.

I'm betting he'll be doing the studid lines with lots of skinny pedal.

Scrappy said:
Maybe this time I can roll him on purpose... *evil laugh*

Nobody can replace putting Rick on his side ;)

Doesn't he think you flopped him on purpose the first time?

Goatman said:
Ordered 220' of DOM tubing today, and I pick up the bender on Thurs, so this weekend the cutting and bending will begin. I've decided to use 1.5" .188 wall DOM for most of the outside sections and .120 wall for the rest.

well this is alittle late but why not use thinner wall for the rest? If it's not going to see impacts I don't think it would need to be that heavy. 0.093 or 0.085? Maybe thats too hard to find.

I thought about that, but decided the very small weight savings wasn't worth the hassle of keeping track of three tube sizes. All of the outside bars won't be .188 wall, just the ones that will regularly see rocks, and the outer overhead bars. The roof cross bars won't be .188 but you wouldn't want them to be .095.

yeah it is a pain, but it's suprising how much the little wieght savings add up if your counting every pound. Our baja chassis last year ended up getting the wrong tubing put into three or four different places and this year even with the bigger size requirements we dropped 5-8lbs just by putting the right sized tube in. and its about the size of a oddessy atv.

anyways, looks good.

Weasel said:
yeah it is a pain, but it's suprising how much the little wieght savings add up if your counting every pound. Our baja chassis last year ended up getting the wrong tubing put into three or four different places and this year even with the bigger size requirements we dropped 5-8lbs just by putting the right sized tube in. and its about the size of a oddessy atv.

anyways, looks good.

Heck, my rig lost 10 pounds when I cut my hair!

Back