• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NOT a budget buggy build

91 Jeep Project said:
I doubt it, look at the air shocks. Just about no uptravel from there.........;)

That is about consistent with most who are using airshocks these days.

Last edited:
I ran Backdoor/Resolution with this guy:

IMG_8752.jpg

No swaybar & noticeably stable, especially for airshocks.

Also a nice way to add a 'back' behind the trackbar.

Paul

NXJ said:
Is that at static height? If so, why would you mount your Panhard at an angle like that? Ideally, it should be at 180 degrees, parallel with the axle, at static height - that way the axle and Panhard travel in an equal arc.

You run it this way to raise your roll center, ideally moving your roll center above your COG. The axle travels in the same arc as the Panhard no matter what the static angle of the Panhard, so I don't understand your second sentence.

Looks very intersting, but seems kind of a shame to trash so much of the current work. This thing could be a very nice complete xj with just a small amount of work. You should start with something in much worse shape! Keep us posted on your progress though. Jeff

BTW, what's the story behind it's sale to you? Guy needed to unload it or something?

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Looks very intersting, but seems kind of a shame to trash so much of the current work. This thing could be a very nice complete xj with just a small amount of work. You should start with something in much worse shape! Keep us posted on your progress though. Jeff

BTW, what's the story behind it's sale to you? Guy needed to unload it or something?

Goat has to do it.

He is getting his ASS handed to him out on the rocks by Matt (and the fire roads too). :laugh:

cracker said:
Goat has to do it.

He is getting his ASS handed to him out on the rocks by Matt (and the fire roads too). :laugh:

Although what you say is true, saying it will no doubt garantee that the crap fling from Goat to you will certainly not end in the near future. I'm seeing a Goat Buggy planted firmly on the hood of the Cracker Wagon over Thanksgiving Weekend...:twak:

Matt.

Richard,

Is this going to be a complete tube chasis or are you going to use the bulk head / firewall from an XJ?

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Although what you say is true, saying it will no doubt garantee that the crap fling from Goat to you will certainly not end in the near future. I'm seeing a Goat Buggy planted firmly on the hood of the Cracker Wagon over Thanksgiving Weekend...:twak:

Thanksgiving '06? I'm betting it won't be ready by then :D

Paul S said:
I ran Backdoor/Resolution with this guy:

IMG_8752.jpg

No swaybar & noticeably stable, especially for airshocks.

Also a nice way to add a 'back' behind the trackbar.

Paul
Paul, what did you think of the sticky 37" trxus? I watched the buildup on that buggy and I really like it, they kept it all Toyota.

BrettM said:
Paul, what did you think of the sticky 37" trxus? I watched the buildup on that buggy and I really like it, they kept it all Toyota.

Other than the waterfall on BD that had a good quart of oil spilled on it right before Dave hit it, they did good. I'd buy 'um.
They're REALLY soft, they feel much softer than Red Krawlers.

Paul

Jeff 98XJ WI said:

Jeff, the body is pretty rough, and the rig could never do justice to the running gear with the suspension it has or the mongo rock rails or the nice bumpers. It could make a very reliable trail rig, and drives nicely on the street, but those 60's and Atlas are crying for some real challenges. The stuff that's on it that's usable will be sold....bumpers, rock rails, RE rear springs, beadlocks and tires, and eventually the cage......so it won't get wasted. I don't know what I'll do with the 8" front and 6" rear ProComp shocks. The rig is assembled with some great parts, but it's far from being tuned and setup for even good trail performance.

The previous owner has decided that this sport is not for him. He's farmed out most of the work, and so isn't familiar enough to handle the inevitable problems. He thought he built a bullet proof rig, but we all know that there isn't such a thing. Even with mega stout parts, something simple can still go wrong. He had very bad luck, and just doesn't want to be out on a trail broken down ever again. I'm very sorry to see him in this situation, but it allowed me to move ahead on a project that I've been debating for many months how to pull it off.

FarmerMatt said:

Matt.

Richard,

Is this going to be a complete tube chasis or are you going to use the bulk head / firewall from an XJ?

Matt

I'm going to do like you, use the dash and cowl, and frame forward and a few feet back. I have ideas about how I'd like to do it, but I may back off from some ideas for the sake of time. As much as I'd like to take the time to do it exactly the way I want right out of the chute, I may end up doing it in a few stages just so I can use it. It could end up showing up in JV as a beater with no doors, no roof, and a cage.

Cracker better keep that thing of his moving, if he sits still for too long....... :D

I seem to remember a certain ledge on Wrecking Ball that I drove right up but this funny yellow colored buggy couldn't even flog itself up. :)

91 Jeep Project said:
Led's junk.

exactly :laugh3:

Most (that I have seen) have very little upstroke and a ton of down stroke.

cracker said:
exactly :laugh3:

Most (that I have seen) have very little upstroke and a ton of down stroke.
most 14-16" airshocks are setup with 4-5" uptravel on the comp buggies. this is partially due to the desire to keep the COG real low and rely on down-travel, and partly because of the exponential spring-rate of the airshocks.

Richard, you might need to rethink the direction of this whole build.

Word has it that there is a new rig heading are way. One the owner thinks will hand us all are collective asses.We might think it's right off the prairie but the new owner thinks he has finally seen the light on suspension design.

This has me a little worried. He might be old and a little slow. But word is he "Gets it "

David Taylor said:
Richard, you might need to rethink the direction of this whole build.

Word has it that there is a new rig heading are way. One the owner thinks will hand us all are collective asses.We might think it's right off the prairie but the new owner thinks he has finally seen the light on suspension design.

This has me a little worried. He might be old and a little slow. But word is he "Gets it "

This ought to be good!

Back