• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front frame hack up and rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got the rear axle's hubs flipped back in and wheel studs knocked out and back in. So now both axles are the same width and centered up. I think i'm goin to shorten the wheelbase some from how i have it now, just seems too much...

Anyway, i ordered some junk from ballistic fabrication so whenever that crap gets here i can start building links and making coil buckets.

dou you have the rear in yet? like to see a pic of the whole jeep. u running hydro ?

what wheel base you going for? 110-115? what kind of terain will this see?

I think I rember seeing him say mud. In Mississippi that is what I would expect! :gee:

Yeah the axles are under the jeep with the wheels and tires on them. But they are just resting there as i havent made any links yet nor spring mounts.

My wheelbase now is set at 114 inches.

I will probably see mud and trails and that's about it. But once i get a tow vehicle i will hit up a few off road parks around here. My buddies have hill climbing trucks and buggies so i will go with them and ride around and watch them do stupid stuff and flip them back over when they roll or drag them back out when they tear up their junk.

Here's a pic with progress as of today:
100_0905.jpg

And only reason i havent cut off those old radius arm brackets is because the transmission crossmember is made on to them and i dont feel like taking trans and transfercase out right now.
100_0907.jpg

Havent taken the rear leafs out yet either...

Last edited:
If you don't feel like taking the t-case out then why is it sitting next to your jeep?

Are you completely suspending the front of your vehicle on cinder blocks facing the weak way and the rear of your jeep on an engine jack?

If you don't feel like taking the t-case out then why is it sitting next to your jeep?

Are you completely suspending the front of your vehicle on cinder blocks facing the weak way and the rear of your jeep on an engine jack?

That is my old 231. Its been laying there for months. I have a rubicon 4:1 case in there now.

And yes the front end is held up by cinderblocks facing the wrong way and the rear is held up by a cherry picker. Any more questions?

I enjoy watching your train wreck being constructed just as much as anyone else here, but I don't want to see anyone hurt, including you. I implore you not to crawl under that thing. The balance point for an XJ is just about where you have the front jackstands with the engine in it. You don't have the engine in it, but This still means that nearly the half weight of the jeep is resting on a very very very substandard support. If you insist on using cinder blocks, please at least turn them in a correct load bearing orientation and put a load spreader across the top. I would hate to see what could happen if you accidentally knock something into those blocks (shatter and crumble) or the jeep rocks and the shifting pressure on the cinder block causes failure.

Please don't kill yourself because you think you know better. Just because it hasn't fallen yet doesn't mean it can't or won't.

...And yes the front end is held up by cinderblocks facing the wrong way and the rear is held up by a cherry picker. Any more questions?

Thanks, now I need a new keyboard; this one has cola all over it after reading that. Thanks for the c:laugh3:!

Yeah, i havent been under it at all. I have some huge wooden columns i have to cut up with a chainsaw and that will replace the concrete blocks. Just been doing other things. I will change the blocks to wooden ones when it comes to building links and putting the motor in place.

That's why the rear leaf springs are still in place, so i can set the rear down for a minute and go around and pick up the front to replace the blocks.

ya'll can sleep sound tonite cuz i have cut the wood columns and have a wooden blocks and then a concrete block turned the right way on top of the wood block.

Im not the crazyest person ever just not scared to do something a little shady! HA HA

And i believe i have to raise the ride height up a few inches so the top of the front axle chunk wont slam into my motor's oil pan. Will find out tomorrow if my thinking is right or not cuz the motor goes in tomorrow!!
I'm sure ya'll will love to see a big block chevy in there. I can only imagine the comments i'll recieve on that...

Last edited:
QUOTE ( i have cut the wood columns and have a wooden blocks and then a concrete block turned the right way on top of the wood block.
Im not the crazyest person ever just not scared to do something a little shady )

ARE you sure... LOL You have a great time with your jeep....When do you think you'll be done? Lots of work you done

big2.jpg

big1.jpg

I had to increase the lift a few inches to be able to have some room under the oilpan so the huge ass rockwell center can move up and down a little. Its sitting pretty tall now. Oh well not rock crawling so it'll be cool.

Last edited:
just move the front axle to the front more! Give us some info on the BB chevy, doesn't look all that stock. . . Is the wimpy 2x4 box steel going to take the BB???

just move the front axle to the front more! Give us some info on the BB chevy, doesn't look all that stock. . . Is the wimpy 2x4 box steel going to take the BB???

Are you kidding me? Wimpy box steel, that section of steel is stronger than the whole jeep.

The motor came out of my 66 Chevelle, its a 402, .060 over, dome piston, 049 heads, mild head work, stainless valves, ultradyne cam, Elgin timing set, Comp cam roller rockers, Comp pushrods, Edlebrock Air GAP intake, holley 3310 built 750 carb, custom HEI distributor, everything already tuned and set up to go! It was a runner in my car! Kinda sucks that i absolutey have to run on 93 octane fuel now.
And in case you were wondering i built the motor but had some help with parts selection from an old racer buddy of mine.

Last edited:
I'm just waiting on my headers to get here so i can see how everything is goin to fit and see if i have to move the motor around or cut something out of the way. I havent welded the motor mount crossmember in yet. Its all just hangin there...

Had to move the trans about 2 inches forward so the motor could clear the firewall, will probably move the motor and everything forward another inch or two and definatley need to come down a little and tilt back a hair.

Goin to have to make a new transmission crossmember anyway since im cutting the old radius arm brackets off the frame and my old trans crossmember mounted to that.

Are you kidding me? Wimpy box steel, that section of steel is stronger than the whole jeep.

It's not that the steel is "wimpy", it's how it's welded to the sheet metal. You have no other bracing for it, as of yet anyway, and no real tie in with the rest of the body. The motor is going to twist and pull on the driverside frame rail, not to mention you are going to have coil spring compression helping it along the way. You need a full cage from front to rear, and not that poop pipe crap you were talking about. Alot more gussets, and alot of good quality tube and it will work.

the front will be tied in together with 2" square, the middle will be tied in together with the motor mount crossmember, the sides will tie into the exo cage, will have a tube from the firewall down to the 2x4, it will be fine...

Ya'll never seen a bolt in front clip for an 67-69 camaro or 64-67 chevy II nova?? God if you folks saw that you wouldnt be able to stop bashing 98% of hot rodders out there. Geez.

So what about the other guy on here with a front frame build thread? He did the same thing that i'm doin. Your just seeing mine in the beginning stages just as his was....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back