• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front frame hack up and rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
X2 and AGREED! You are doing something few if any have done. BB and 2.5 tons. I have seen maybe 2 xj's in the last 6 years or so that have had Rock's.

Thanks man. I may do things totally backwards from everyone else but that's just how i do. I may not have award winning craftsmanship, but my junk may look slightly crappy but i'm not scared to put my foot in the gas pedal and go.

I worked on it this afternoon making frame link brackets and cutting / fitting the front lower link bars. Got the front lowers finished and on the jeep. I will post some pics tomorrow cuz i will be finishing up the front and moving on to the rear tomorrow. Man making these link bars takes time!! Well actually getting things mocked up to figure out exactly how long to cut the links is what takes so long....

Last edited:
well my damn ebay special plasma cutter blew up today. So i guess i will be shopping for a real onenext week. I got my $200 out of it! So all i got done is the lower links. but my pinion brake kit came in today from DIY4x so thats cool. And will have some time now to start putting the motor accessories on and get that going..
link2.jpg

link1.jpg

link3.jpg

and the links are kinda at a steep angle right now cuz the jeep is sitting so high at the moment. Once i get a new plasma cutter i will have to cut the original lower mounts off the frame... and obviously those old radius arm drop brackets will be cut all off.

so i got the rear pinion brake mounted. Goin to have to buy a $26 bracket for the front pinon brake off of ebay and use mazda rotors and toyota calipers. The larger chevy stuff was too big for me to use on the front axle...

alot of people use 4 lug fox body mustang rotors on those pinion brakes as well... just another option for ya.

yeah, i wonder what pattern the 4 holes are on the mustang rotors.. hmm. Ah i bought that bracket on ebay and got to go price mazda rotors and toyota caliper. I bought a new plasma cutter today. A hypertherm 30. Should be bad ass.

so i worked on finishing up my front links. Cut out 4 brackets for the radius arms to mount to the top of the axle tube. I have 8" of seperation at the axle end. My upper links are 19" long. I used some 3/4" heims i had left over from some skyjacker control arms.. I sleeved the threaded section with 1 1/4" in od pipe, then sleeved that with some 1 1/4 schd 40 pipe. So they are strong enough.
link5.jpg

and the link brackets are just resting there. i still have to round the top edges on the axle brackets and brace them on the front.
link6.jpg

Last edited:
i have both of the upper links made. It will be a radius arm setup. Just only set one in place. After i finish welding the upper links in place i will start on tracbar bracket and then set the springs in place.

And i got too much money in this thing! HA, not really. Im using most of the stuff i already had, i mean i have a bunch of crap laying around. All the heim joints and bushing ends i already had in a bag in my garage. I bought 1 ballistic joint and all the square tube bungs(4), and then i bought some cheap link mount tabs that you can see in my pics that i'm using on the lower links axle end and on the upper front link ends. I already had the motor, transmission, i just bought these axles and started building...

Last edited:
So since you custom built those links why not push them back another foot or so? You could have better arm angles and a nicer ride.

-Alex

Didnt want to. The links dont have to be 5 ft long to work but my lowers are just shy of 4 ft long. And i'm not concerned about ride quality here, it will work out.... The rear lowers will be a little longer.

it'll buff out...
Ive been working on pinion brakes for past day or so. Got a bracket off ebay that uses mazda rotor and toyota caliper. Got the front rotor and pads for the rear monday. i have got to go to a junkyard and get some toyota calipers. autozone wants a $47 core charge for those dudes!

Will be finishing up my front end this weekend hopefully. Trackbar, springs in, welding upper arms in place.
Still no steering arm.... Anybody have a piece of thick plate i can have?? 3.5-4" wide x 12" long, 5/8-1" thick steel???

Also bought a few more brackets for my rear set up, some more tabs, 2 angled inside frame brackets for my upper wishbone.

Last edited:
so i welded the 2 axle mounts on today for the upper links. Started looking at tracbar, then had to stop and do some other crap today. So tomorrow will be tracbar install and springs and setting the weight down and welding up the upper link mounts onto the lower links.
100_0941.jpg

My rear pinion brake-
100_0943.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back