• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 44/9" full width cherokee build

Do you plan on redoing that brake line that is totally exposed on the back of the axle going to the passenger side?

looks good but you should reposition / rebend the brake line in the rear its in my opinion asking to get snagged or crushed that low and far down on the tube on the left side.

Looks good. :dunno: You probably just didnt get to fixing it yet, but incase you didnt notice, now your rear brakes can work on the way home from wheeling

waxer said:
Do you plan on redoing that brake line that is totally exposed on the back of the axle going to the passenger side?
motorcityxj said:
looks good but you should reposition / rebend the brake line in the rear its in my opinion asking to get snagged or crushed that low and far down on the tube on the left side.

Looks good. :dunno: You probably just didnt get to fixing it yet, but incase you didnt notice, now your rear brakes can work on the way home from wheeling
you both are right. That's the length (too long) that Vato-Zone had in stock and I had to get it done... it will be changed.

:yes: Here are those pics I promised.

axle after powerwashing... it was nasty
PICT0387.jpg

and some wire wheel
PICT0389.jpg

Nasty knuckle
PICT0390.jpg

Chopped off radius arm C's :headbanger:

PICT0392.jpg

did more stuff yesterday more pics later :yes:
picked up a second 231 t-case (I have thoughts of a doubler...) and changed the oil, air filter and serpentine belt.

Oh I moved september 1st and got married the 21st so that's the reason for the delay, but now we are settled in ok, so I'm kicking butt again.

I just finished this same swap (Front D44) on a WJ with a friend about a week ago so I have a few idea on steering and other stuff, but any of you guys who have done this before feel free to comment.

Last edited:
hey stratton I forgot you were on here. Your xj looks good. I think after seeing yours I will eventually do the full width 44 and 9.

Happy Halloween everybody, like my pumpkin?
1031072133.jpg

Somemore progress: got the lower control arm brackets and coil buckets properly "radiused" to fit the larger axle tube and did a mock up.
Any Ideas on the truss for the upper control arm mount over the pumpkin?
I don't really want to increase my vertical seperation at the axle side (over stock).

Now I just need set my caster (I'm thinking +5*) and pinion angles, set the bracket to their final locations and set to 0* and burn them down. (I wire wheeled all the rust off after the pic)
1102071904.jpg

I thougth you'd enjoy this. I was at a junkyard yesterday and spotted this fab piece.

It looks to be a two door that was chopped and sectioned down shorter then they used 4door front doors to finish it off (the inner door metal was chopped and welded to fit the wheel wells that have been moved forward)
They did some really neat work on the bedsides and the wheelbase was probably close to 90"
1103071234.jpg

1103071234a.jpg

1103071235.jpg

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Oh I grabbed a ZJ front driveshaft for my rear (I'll have to lengthen it: I need 36" static). And I ordered up PORC's SYE

Last edited:
thanks for the ideas I went up to Rock Springs for work yesterday and today, but I grabbed some 3/16" flat stock and some 1/4" 2"x6" box for my truss/upper control arm mount when I got home this afternoon.

I'll probably start rebuilding the hubs/ brakes tomorrow and boxing the LCA mounts like I did on my d30 and the truss Saturday... I'd like to try to tie into some diff cover bolts

They may be cheaper but I have put 5 sets of D44 bearings in my CJ for every one D30 unit bearing in the XJ.

With D44's ... the drier the climate the longer the bearings will last. They just don't do a very good job of keeping the wet stuff out.

i am also doing this same swap u are , i was wondering what your pinion angle is at and how much lift u are runnin thanlks a million

im looking for a hp44 front axle. if anyone knows who has one in central cal or so cal please let me know. junkyards around here are asking $500+. thanks.

awesome i am running 7 to 8 inches of lift so i will prolly put mine there also , just wondern is u have heard of the forum slc 4x4 utah?? er the club i have a family member down there thats the head of the club i think . have u got this under your jeep yet??

Did you turn your inner C's or are you running them the way they were stock on the F150?

Back