• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I swap my Dana 44 for a ford 8.8?

With three King of the Hammers races on our XJ D44 behind 350+ horsepower... I would say I'm not the one smoking things. :)

Its not.

At the end of the day the 44 is superior to the ford knock off ;)

Would love to know the ages of some of the people going back and forth. Like little kids fighting over who gets the red ball and who get the green.

Its not.

At the end of the day the 44 is superior to the ford knock off ;)

what are all the upgrades done to your 44? like I said I page 2, sounded like you just want a D44 housing with a D60 inside it lol.

what does it matter which is superior anyway? no one else here is racing the hammers on a 44 rear. for a daily/crawler just take the most available option. he's already got a D44 so obviously keep a D44.. but if he had a D35 and found an 8.8 for cheap and you can weld... what does it matter which axle he uses :dunno:

I never understand the 44/88 argument. everyone just brings out their beating stick

Hasta

I still like my 8.25. Enough to not bother changing it out with my front 44.

With three King of the Hammers races on our XJ D44 behind 350+ horsepower... I would say I'm not the one smoking things. :)

Except that one time when it folded like a taco .!.:D.!.

Just my 0.02 cents which is like 0.01 cents lol
In STOCK form the 8.8 is stronger than the d44, There is no questions there BUT in UPGRADED form, the d44 will win out the 8.8 in strength as there are many many options like mention before with spline count and even the Jana 54 kit which would significantly upsize the strength.

Now if you had a 8.25 and was looking to upgrade, I'd say go for the 8.8 but as you already have a d44 under your rig, keep it and regear it and freshen it up. In the long run, you're able to upgrade and strengthen your 44 much more than the 8.8. Just like earlier being said, you can have a d60 in a d44 housing lol

Re: Re: Should I swap my Dana 44 for a ford 8.8?

Just my 0.02 cents which is like 0.01 cents lol
In STOCK form the 8.8 is stronger than the d44, There is no questions there BUT in UPGRADED form, the d44 will win out the 8.8 in strength as there are many many options like mention before with spline count and even the Jana 54 kit which would significantly upsize the strength.

Now if you had a 8.25 and was looking to upgrade, I'd say go for the 8.8 but as you already have a d44 under your rig, keep it and regear it and freshen it up. In the long run, you're able to upgrade and strengthen your 44 much more than the 8.8. Just like earlier being said, you can have a d60 in a d44 housing lol
Lol the jana 54 kit uses dana 50 gears... high pinion only. The 8.8 has 35 spline options....

Lol the jana 54 kit uses dana 50 gears... high pinion only. The 8.8 has 35 spline options....

so... the 44 does as well. at that point youve got a semi float axle that thinks its a 60.

if thats a deciding factor, then the OP should just get a D60-ISU and not deal with the middle man. but hes on 32s, doesnt sound gung-ho to go big, and already has a 44 that will be plenty for his needs.

Re: Re: Should I swap my Dana 44 for a ford 8.8?

and the disk brake backing plates will fold like a taco if you even think of using them as a shaft retainer.

Do you have experience or are you just making that assumption based on the thickness of the backing plates?

On a ride with my bro in law up Moab Rim and he snapped his D35 shaft going up the last ledge on Z-turn. He backed it off, turned around, drove down the first half of that obstacle and then all the way down to the parking lot while his disc brake conversion held the axle in place... it's not ideal, but if you're cautious and take into account where you're putting force on that tire, you can most definitely limp it back using the backing plate as a shaft retainer.

IMO the C - clip issue on a 8.8 with alloy shafts is a moot point for most on this forum, I beat mine on 37s and never worry about it, with an auto trans it's not going to break unless I'm really being an idiot.

To the OP: it's been said already, but with the 8.8 you won't notice the narrower width. Not on the highway, not on the trail and no one will ever say, "Hey is do your front wheels stick out 5/8" farther than your rear?"

IMO, IF your D44 has discs, stick with it. If it has drums swap to the 8.8 and sell the 44. You'll be money ahead vs regearing the 44 AND converting it to discs.

Gotta love how technical everyone gets when the quesiton at hand is simple. Sounds like the OP is mainly concerned about $ not about the ifs ands or buts regarding a 44 vs 8.8 debate.

OP: If your 44 housing is in good shape... KEEP IT and regear. Drink a beer and keep your sanity. end of thread.

This!! The End.......... :cool:

Do you have experience or are you just making that assumption based on the thickness of the backing plates?

I have seen several of them bent from that exact usage. will 1/1000 get lucky? sure. but its a bad idea. break a shaft? just swap it where you are or move as little as possible. even with a C-clip eliminator the broken shaft flopping around inside the tube is going to wreak havoc.

Gotta love how technical everyone gets when the quesiton at hand is simple. Sounds like the OP is mainly concerned about $ not about the ifs ands or buts regarding a 44 vs 8.8 debate.

OP: If your 44 housing is in good shape... KEEP IT and regear. Drink a beer and keep your sanity. end of thread.

X3!

I was surprised to see 4 pages of advice for a part that is not broke.

X3!

I was surprised to see 4 pages of advice for a part that is not broke.

A classic " X is Soooooo much better than Y ..... trust me, I am an expert on X's..... Y's are pieces of ***** " :lecture:

:roflmao:

IMO, IF your D44 has discs, stick with it. If it has drums swap to the 8.8 and sell the 44. You'll be money ahead vs regearing the 44 AND converting it to discs.

I don't see how that can be true when even others have mentioned, it's the small things that'll nickle and dime ya like replacing the lines, seals, etc..... It's more of a moot point really.

The swap debate totally depends on local market conditions. Cost of parts is pretty uniform, but JY housings vary widely from state to state. Labor, too. And if you can / will set up the gears yourself.
Ask yourself what you want & then look at how much it would cost you locally. Don't be swayed by people saying this or that - it's probably true for their local conditions but it might be BS for yours.
When I looked, I couldn't get an 8.8 under my rig for less than $600 - and I'd have had to regear the front end, too. Instead I kept my tire size to what I could stomach on stock gears (cheaper anyway, nice for my budget) and put discs on my 8.25 for $150. Worked for me.
If you really want 4.10s, disc brakes & the LSD - and you can weld beefy-ass steel in your garage - and the 8.8 is pretty cheap in your neck of the woods - go for it. Personally, I'd keep the 44 because Dana.

Back