• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I swap my Dana 44 for a ford 8.8?

If you decide on the 8.8, definitely check the brakes before buying it, including the elaborate parking brake. I didn't pay any attention, and when I finally got around to swapping it in, found that the parking brakes had disintegrated to dust and one rotor was ruined. My "free" disc brakes ended up costing me like $150 to replace all the worn out parts, and I'm not even sure if the calipers work yet.

If you decide on the 8.8, definitely check the brakes before buying it, including the elaborate parking brake. I didn't pay any attention, and when I finally got around to swapping it in, found that the parking brakes had disintegrated to dust and one rotor was ruined. My "free" disc brakes ended up costing me like $150 to replace all the worn out parts, and I'm not even sure if the calipers work yet.

Good point on the parking brakes. Those shoes are puny. People tend to drive with the parking brakes on and ruin the shoes and rotor (inside the hat) to the point that they become unusable.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think what i will do is keep saving my money and if I come across an 8.8 with 4.10 and a limited slip for a decent price I'll do that, then sell my 44 to help fund the front regear. (I found a guy selling a complete explorer for almost $300. take the axle then the junk yard said they'd give me $300 for the rest of the Explorer. But it wasn't 4.10s) That's the route i'd like to go. But if by the time I've saved the money I haven't found the right 8.8, then I'll regear my 44.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think what i will do is keep saving my money and if I come across an 8.8 with 4.10 and a limited slip for a decent price I'll do that, then sell my 44 to help fund the front regear. (I found a guy selling a complete explorer for almost $300. take the axle then the junk yard said they'd give me $300 for the rest of the Explorer. But it wasn't 4.10s) That's the route i'd like to go. But if by the time I've saved the money I haven't found the right 8.8, then I'll regear my 44.

My only suddestion.
Skip the LSD for the 8.8. They are worthless snake oil. Had mine rebuild with carbon cobra clutches and packed extra tight. It is useless in the rocks with 35s. And now I have to buy another open carrier or a full case locker. No one makes a lunchbox locker for the LSD carrier. At least the one that does costs the same as a full case grizzly locker.

Back