• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LAZY B.O.D.

I just took a poll of diversified Jeepers they all agreed that having the dinner and the raffle at the end of an event helps to keep folks there and increases attendance............I guess that settles it.

How many fans would be left in the stands if they bucked the bulls in the middle of the rodeo? Only those that liked calf roping and steer wrestling. No need to reinvent the wheel here folks. Awards are given, prizes are drawn, winners are trophied, kudos are handed out......at the end of the whichever event you attend. :banghead:

Maybe a change of venue will keep people around longer? 2 years after getting new owners, the conditions at Slickrock can best be described as squalor. I'm pretty sure that most of the Intermountain Chapter are staying elsewhere by now. One of the reasons for using Slickrock was the cafe area that has since been removed. Surely another campground has room for a large, unruly group? Maybe if we require everyone to wear shirts with collars a nicer campground will let us in.

Handlebars said:
Maybe a change of venue will keep people around longer? 2 years after getting new owners, the conditions at Slickrock can best be described as squalor. I'm pretty sure that most of the Intermountain Chapter are staying elsewhere by now. One of the reasons for using Slickrock was the cafe area that has since been removed. Surely another campground has room for a large, unruly group? Maybe if we require everyone to wear shirts with collars a nicer campground will let us in.
*REALLY*? Conditions are that bad at SlickRock now? That really blows. Guess I'm gonna have to come up with another plan for next October, I know what the g/f's reaction would be to that.

As far as the dinner goes, I'll be heading back east Saturday morning. There's no way around it. I have enjoyed the dinners in the past, but my travel schedule requirements just won't let me go to a Saturday function at Fall Fling.

Why not have two or more dinners? Friday for the raffle dinner and Saturday for a choice of where to go for part 2.

If there are going to be 300 or so XJ's attending it's going to be a task to cater for everyone's taste. Saturday night could be an opportunity to prebook tables at the popular places to eat in town.

I couldn't make it to this year's fling, but last year we spent an hour or so outside Moab Brewery on a thursday(?) waiting for our large group to be seated. Lets say there are 100 people left on Saturday that want to eat, that's five venues with a group size of twenty. It would be real nice if they knew we were coming in advance and were waiting for us.

I think we should have the dinner so most people can attend & build. Fri. night means lots that have to leave Sat. can. We don't need to keep folks around wheeling on Sat. with the dinner as bait. I've stayed at Canyonlands & this year's Fling at Slickrock. I don't think it's squalor at Slickrock & there are larger open areas to gather & park, more cramped at Canyonlands. Canyon is a very little nicer, gas in front, more central, but seams to be a bit more booked and maybe make it harder for last minute folks to res. There's no Cafe area at Canyon either. Good idea by Vince that we book some other evening dinner at a restaurant also, we could do that with a sign up Tues. for Thurs. night as example. The big things are pick dates early, organize and promote early. Think about adding some or a trail on last Sunday for those who make it just a long weekend and live close enough to still get back Sun. night. I can do it any way it goes, I'm retired. Thom

If you arent there by Friday night you more than likely wont be there on Saturday night. Only a few locals will be the ones really not making it til late Friday night. Alot more leave on Saturday than would make it Friday night.

Friday night it is. Also, there is no way slickrock can hold no 300 Jeeps. If there are going to be that many people there it doesnt matter where you stay, there will be a campfire or people everywhere you go.

Handlebars said:

Slickrock is definately ghetto.
After staying there in May '06 before BOTW I'd say I'll never stay there again.

Goatman said:
I have to disagree on the poll idea, Tom. We've done polls before, and those who attend regularly and take a weeks vacation are the ones who speak up.......not a representative group, IMHO. We don't hear from those who don't have definite plans, decide later that they can make it for a shorter time, decide at the last minute, or are new and haven't been there before but might. We're where we are now because of a poll.
Again, I understand your point, but so far you have absolutely nothing to support the idea that more people will hang around if you force the schedule upon them rather than finding out what works best for them. Find this out first. If you're correct, then make the change. If not, don't force unwanted change to satisfy a presumption.

0313 summed up the reality of the situation. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me personally what day we have it on. I was just trying to be more inclusive based on the feedback I received from many attendees.

Tom R. said:
Again, I understand your point, but so far you have absolutely nothing to support the idea that more people will hang around if you force the schedule upon them rather than finding out what works best for them. Find this out first. If you're correct, then make the change. If not, don't force unwanted change to satisfy a presumption.

0313 summed up the reality of the situation. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me personally what day we have it on. I was just trying to be more inclusive based on the feedback I received from many attendees.

XJEEPER said:
I just took a poll of diversified Jeepers they all agreed that having the dinner and the raffle at the end of an event helps to keep folks there and increases attendance............I guess that settles it.

How many fans would be left in the stands if they bucked the bulls in the middle of the rodeo? Only those that liked calf roping and steer wrestling. No need to reinvent the wheel here folks. Awards are given, prizes are drawn, winners are trophied, kudos are handed out......at the end of the whichever event you attend. :banghead:

Tom, actually, I think Jeff summed it up the best. The issue to me is promoting the event. If it looks like a week long event ending on Fri, that's the participation you're going to get. If it looks like a weekend focused event, then that's what you're going to attract. Like has been said in this thread a couple of times, the week long folks will come no matter what.

As far as info to support the idea, all I can do is remind folks of what the first few Fall Flings were like when the dinner was on Sat. We really have two different perspectives here, and both are valid. Some are looking at the issue from a promoting the event standpoint, and some are looking at it from personal preference. Sorry, when planning the overall dynamics takes priority over personal preference.

Hey, it's not up to me. I've promoted a number of successful events and think I have a feel for what makes an event tick, and I have a strong opinion about this topic. I'm glad you folks have heard me out.

Goatman said:
. The issue to me is promoting the event. If it looks like a week long event ending on Fri, that's the participation you're going to get. If it looks like a weekend focused event, then that's what you're going to attract.

I think this is something to consider, especially if the goal is to attract new people to Fall Fling. Those of us that have gone before know what a good time it will be and so using a week of vacation to attend is no big deal. However someone who has never come may not want to use "a weeks worth" of vacation. They may have a hard time getting their significant other to understand that much time just for driving around in the Jeep.

One thing the Fall Fling ends on the Columbus day weekend. Giving some people a 3- day weekend, so adding 1-2 days would not seem too hard to do.

Just a thought.

Mary

rightseatsis said:
One thing the Fall Fling ends on the Columbus day weekend. Giving some people a 3- day weekend, so adding 1-2 days would not seem too hard to do.

Just a thought.Mary

The idea of Saturday Dinner preventing people from being there doesn't really register with me. The way I look at it, if you take 5 days off, and you need two days to travel, you then have at least two options.
A: Take Tuesday through Friday and the Monday after off, Columbus day might help out here for the bankers and other fake holiday types as Mary pointed out. But if not, you still have Thursday-Saturday trail runs to enjoy.
B: Take six days off instead of five :wave: (it's going to be worth it)

I like XJEEPER's argument also, I can't think of any other event that ends before it ends...

For my final arguements; what night the dinner/raffle is held has very little to do with what draws people to the event. Moab itself, scenic and surrounded by National Parks for starters is a draw, wheelin with fellow XJ'rs is a draw, the veriety of wheelin is a draw, the other activities like a park full of XJ's having a show n shine is a draw. If the 03 fling has any weight at all on your thoughts on the subject, I'd say a give away jeep is a huge draw, if it is given away on X Day, many people are going to show up at least by X Day and not leave a moment before that final raffle ticket is read come hell or high water, I am pretty darn sure of that. A moment later, stand aside for the exit stampede.

Lastly, Goatman you're the one "volunteering" to be in charge, forget polls and forget discussing it forever (I've seen other activities die in discussions), I say book it for what day you feel is best and book it quick because not only is it mostly your call (by right simply by your willingness to head it up let alone any official calling from the BOD) but most if not all already feel you will do a good job and therefore the event should draw a big crowd regardless. I already support your decision either way and look foreward to making plans based on it, the sooner everyone can make those plans and begin promoting the event in earnest, the better IMHO.

GO SATURDAY:rtm:

Last edited:
I will help any way I can and as much as my wife will let me. :D

djblade311 said:
I will help any way I can and as much as my wife will let me. :D
Seeing how big next years event is supposed to be I'll be looking to have folks scheduled to take a turn at the registration table. It's a fun job as yo uget to meet folks and put a face to a name :)

Kejtar said:
Seeing how big next years event is supposed to be I'll be looking to have folks scheduled to take a turn at the registration table. It's a fun job as yo uget to meet folks and put a face to a name :)
Reme, I'll do a shift, put my name down. And I'll volenteer to lead Hell's Revenge again unless someone more experienced will do it. Thom

xjblue said:
Lastly, Goatman you're the one "volunteering" to be in charge, forget polls and forget discussing it forever (I've seen other activities die in discussions), I say book it for what day you feel is best and book it quick because not only is it mostly your call (by right simply by your willingness to head it up let alone any official calling from the BOD) but most if not all already feel you will do a good job and therefore the event should draw a big crowd regardless. I already support your decision either way and look foreward to making plans based on it, the sooner everyone can make those plans and begin promoting the event in earnest, the better IMHO.

GO SATURDAY:rtm:

This whole discussion is about non-anniversary events, my personal opinion about something that would enhance attendance. It's a given on the 5 year anniversary events where we really are drawing from all over the country that the dinner will be on Fri. That decision is already made and the hall is already reserved. I am, however, working on a wrap up get together idea for Sat night.

On a side note, let's see how many people take off the Fri before the first weekend so they can get there earlier, but would argue that dinner should be Fri so they can travel home on Sat, when they could take the following Mon off to travel instead. I've seen the very people who have argued for the Fri dinner do this exact thing before.

Anyway, next year we're going to have a great time at a great event. :)

Goatman said:
On a side note, let's see how many people take off the Fri before the first weekend so they can get there earlier, but would argue that dinner should be Fri so they can travel home on Sat, when they could take the following Mon off to travel instead. I've seen the very people who have argued for the Fri dinner do this exact thing before.

when i take a week, i take the Fri before the first weekend AND the following Mon.......best of both worlds :)

Goatman said:
This whole discussion is about non-anniversary events, my personal opinion about something that would enhance attendance. It's a given on the 5 year anniversary events where we really are drawing from all over the country that the dinner will be on Fri. That decision is already made and the hall is already reserved. I am, however, working on a wrap up get together idea for Sat night.

Anyway, next year we're going to have a great time at a great event. :)

Anything you come up with Richard gets my vote........SANTA

Back