• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ham radios??? Yeah, i need some info.

... that range is also bad, spans a whole bunch of mixed gov/non-gov and government-only bands...

157.0375 to 157.1875 is a feds-only maritime band, allocated to the US Coast Guard.

This is not as hard as it seems. If you do not have a license for it, DO NOT USE IT!

If you look at the allocation chart at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf and then Google the start and end frequencies for a band you're interested in, you will come up with documents specifying what it's allocated to in most cases. For instance google for "157.0375 157.1875 mhz" and you come up with this: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/reports/2010/Web_Spectrum_Use_Summary_Master 03_15_10.pdf
The Coast Guard operates ship-to-shore radio communication systems for critical safety and distress response functions, marine safety broadcasts, command and control of vessels, and communications with the general maritime community. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration operates communication systems used in fishery research, oceanographic fisheries activities, geodetic surveys, hydrographic programs, hydrologic surveys, marine pollution studies, and support of oil clean-ups. The Environmental Protection Agency uses this band for ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore communications for environmental monitoring and assessment programs.

And that's just one frequency range within the new "ok" range you gave... the feds use most of the others on a shared basis with local fire/police/disaster management agencies. See pages 12 and 13 of the last link I gave for the boring details.

The last 157 on my list from the Gov that can be used is 157.845.000. I would guess that if there was a issue with these freq you would have problems at every off-road race. Has anyone ever been questioned at a race? the answer is no. Like I said maybe the thousands of people who use these freq every weekend are just rebels and have not been thrown in jail yet.

There are probably thousands of people who manage to wheel illegally on private land without getting smacked too...

just because it's possible to get away with it does not mean it should be done.

Logic would tell me that if hundreds of sanctioned events taking place each year, almost every weekend, and Ham radio dealers supplying radios and freq's to literally thousands of people that there is absolutely no issue and it is not illegal. This has been done for 30 years.

:doh:

yeah... that's not gonna get you in trouble eventually or anything.

Seriously, don't transmit on a frequency without verifying that you have permission to do so. It's about the RF equivalent of illegal wheeling, the differences being that it's slightly less common to get caught but the feds will be after you instead of the state/local police or landowner.

Keep in mind that this is the West Coast... Open Land... Open Frequencies.....
We dont need no stinkin permissions......

Arrrg..:piratefla

From what I have seen the race radios that the teams use are dispersed in the "business band" allocation. There are all kinds of people on that band. From taxis to busses, tow trucks. etc. Besides, they are racing out in the middle of the desert using simplex frequencies, who is gonna care about interference?

Okay, I'm sitting in Newport Coast with my radio set at 150.665. Somebody call me and we'll see if any black helicopters swoop down on us. I'll be here until 1 pm.

Okay, I'm sitting in Newport Coast with my radio set at 150.665. Somebody call me and we'll see if any black helicopters swoop down on us. I'll be here until 1 pm.

The MAN was on my doorstep before I could even key down....... They detected the unauthorized frequency change as I was thinking it......

If you are still up PM me. I'm curious to see if I can get out that far simplex on the hand talkie.

Anyone remember "Storydude" from JU? Hmmmmmm

Last edited:
Back