• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Out of my league - need some help

Terrygrn

NAXJA Forum User
I’m try to learn so please flaming lol!

So yesterday 08/22/2021 I bought my 16 yr old son his first vehicle.

He found and had his heart set on a 1998 Jeep XJ limited with 4” lift and 35” tire. The keep itself looks awesome and runs great, since he can’t get his license until Sept, I drove it home which was about 80 miles through the mountains. I have to say I was white knuckling it the entire trip. This was downright scary to drive, every bump wanted to send the Jeep drifting left or right. Turns seemed to be pretty difficult as well, I never hit freeway speed limit because it was to difficult to maintain my lane. So I’m trying to figure out how to make this a better more stable right for a kids first vehicle. What is the difference between:

1.)Steering stabilizer & Sway bars?
2.) Do I need them both?
3.) Which should I do first?
4.) Are the Sway bars just for the front end or is there a benefit to front & rear

Any help advice would be enormously appreciated as well as recommendations for both of those products.

Thank you in advance!

The problem could a cheap lift kit, improper installation, incorrect alignment, previous owner Bubba style engineering, lack of required parts for a 4" lift, or perhaps worn suspension or steering parts.

You need to provide a complete inventory of the parts used for the lift and their apparent condition. You can't fix what you have not diagnosed. Lots of well lighted and well focused pictures of the front suspension and steering are good.

A front sway bar is very necessary and typically a steering stabilizer is beneficial. If the lift suspension is good qualty parts, a rear sway bar is typically not necessary.

Tim,
I appreciate the info and good points you made. When I get off work today, I’ll take some pictures and do my best in regard to upgrades manufactures etc and I’ll update my post. I hate to sound like a newb, I’ve been wrenching on DD’s for years but this Jeep universe is all foreign to me. Bottom line is simple. I’ll do whatever I must to make sure my boy is safe on the road.

Oh boy. Sounds like you have bit off a challenge.

Tim's advice about pictures is spot on. Get us as much detail as possible. Odds are good that the pictures will lead to more questions and the need for more specific pictures.

35" tires are pushing the upper limit of what should be on an XJ without major modifications. 35s still require some important upgrades to be feasible.

bfb7da79f5d455cfddeece2e9c21587e.jpg

in addition to pics, you need to physically grab everything pictured above in color and give a good push/pull. a lot of these parts can wear out and leave you with shady steering and control of the vehicle.

also a video of suspension when cycling steering left and right with tires on the ground would help. upload it to youtube.

Agree with everything said above. On 35’s I’d highly recommend doing the brakes with some black magic pads as well. Especially with a 16 year old driving it, you’re gonna want an upgrade over stock replacement

Thank you guys for your advice and patience with me. Like I said, I’m learning and not afraid to admit when I’m out of my comfort zone. I’m putting a link to photos as requested. I did push and pull on all the parts you told me to, everything feels nice and tight. Any other thoughts, ideas or recommendations are very much welcome and appreciated!
BUBLUP::{"gf_invitation_code":"001-si-gWy1wqBAdVt7","share_id":"001-f-8f77923a-f90d-4185-8777-09af8d72beeb"}

Thank you guys for your advice and patience with me. Like I said, I’m learning and not afraid to admit when I’m out of my comfort zone. I’m putting a link to photos as requested. I did push and pull on all the parts you told me to, everything feels nice and tight. Any other thoughts, ideas or recommendations are very much welcome and appreciated!
BUBLUP::{"gf_invitation_code":"001-si-gWy1wqBAdVt7","share_id":"001-f-8f77923a-f90d-4185-8777-09af8d72beeb"}

Link didn't work for me. I do wonder if this had stock upper and lower control arms, and what the condition of the steering gear box is?

You need a "host" to post pics like Imgur or PB,

tapatalk is a great phone app for going straight from gallery to forum
then there's imgur and a few others for uploading. I use tapatalk so I'll let others discuss the other options

Another big thing to look at is how much tire pressure is in those 35's, XJ's are light and don't need anywhere near the 32 to 35 PSI that normal tire sizes carry. Draw a line of chalk across the tires and roll it through a couple of turns of the tire and see where the chalk comes off. If it is just in the center then there is too much air in the tires. Too little air it will come off the sides only.

I'd sell it and buy a stock XJ to build or remove the lift and revert it back to stock. 16 YO with a lifted XJ that's already shaddy isn't a great combo. Think a lot of us can say from experience that what previous owners do most times is junk. XJ on 35's done right is more than just a lift.

as long as it has a front sway bar, I don't think its a death trap. but I don't have kids or a whole lot of sense so... there's that

Tires that big put a lot of stress on the steering box, which is factory mounted onto sheet metal. If that mounting surface hasn’t been substantially reinforced, there could very easily be significant cracking and flex going on around the box, which will make the steering wonky. So that’s something to look at, and also to post photos of.

Tires that big put a lot of stress on the steering box, which is factory mounted onto sheet metal. If that mounting surface hasn’t been substantially reinforced, there could very easily be significant cracking and flex going on around the box, which will make the steering wonky. So that’s something to look at, and also to post photos of.

Now I will agree wholeheartedly with this as I'm in the middle of repairing my frame rail. Using stinky fab's beefy inner brace. but it's a PITA.

33's probably make more sense for it.

Now I will agree wholeheartedly with this as I'm in the middle of repairing my frame rail. Using stinky fab's beefy inner brace. but it's a PITA.

33's probably make more sense for it.

Sort of the direction I'd go. I'd still like to know the gearing. Also, it seems he will deal with sharp inclines. So, a bit lower gearing would help for tire size.
I did have a frame crack. It does cause a bunch of problems. Also, leads to Death Wobble. My track bar bracket was getting ripped off the axle.
Due to that and my rear rails were rusted out, due to some type of rodent, I put in frame stiffeners. Also, I did put in a Stinky Fab OTK Track Bar and frame stiffener on a 2" build. Also, WJ Big Brakes and cross over steering. A bit over kill for 31" tires.

Back