• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

Personally I use bolt and drop block action rifles for my big game hunting. The caliber is important, but more important is knowing the limitations of your cartridge, bullet placement and effective range are everything. I've taken nearly everything with an old 270 that was my first hunting rifle. I eventually moved on to belted magnums with a 300WM and I have to say you will never go wrong with this proven cartridge. It has tremendous hitting power out to several hundred yards and also has a relatively flat trajectory for a 30 Cal cartridge. If I were to pick an AR style gun I would definitely go with an AR-10 platform to take advantage of the larger cartridges available. I would also pick a cartridge that could be found in any community I was hunting out of. There are some very impressive cartridges that would be almost impossible to purchase in smaller communities.

I agree wholeheartedly -- that's why I went with a 30.06 here as I embark on my hunting adventure (I'm a rook...). 30.06 is everywhere... or at least it used to be when there wasn't a massive shortage.

After the research I've done, building an AR10 in any caliber other than .243 or .308 is asking for a lot of money. Looks like a .338 Federal would run somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000. ...I don't think so!

For half that I can have a sweet bolt gun with amazing optics with lots of money left over for truing the action and anything else I'd want to do to it.

GUNS & AMMO

Hey Colorado peeps. What is the laws now on out of staters coming in with guns having mags larger than ten rounds? I know they didn't ban older mags for you guys. I'm heading that way with my son to do some camping up around Dinosaur. Going to run into issues?

It's a 15 rd limit. The law doesn't go into effect until July, I believe. I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the county sheriffs in CO are suing the state to have the silly laws just passed overturned.

GUNS & AMMO

It's a 15 rd limit. The law doesn't go into effect until July, I believe. I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the county sheriffs in CO are suing the state to have the silly laws just passed overturned.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. Any idea what the law will be in regard to out of staters in the future bringing their own guns in?

wholly smokes that's a pretty rifle.... I'd hang that puppy on a wall and watch it instead of TV! :eyes:

that's not as pretty...

No, that's stupid ;)

I'd prefer this one.
You and me both. Either one is pretty slick, but when it comes to an iconic military rifle such as the M1, I would try to stay in touch with the nostalgia.

LOL..... somehow "plinking" and "M1 Garand" just don't seem to go together.

"Sore shoulder" and "M1 Garand"...... more accurate....... :laugh:

LOL..... somehow "plinking" and "M1 Garand" just don't seem to go together.

"Sore shoulder" and "M1 Garand"...... more accurate....... :laugh:

Worst scope punch I ever got was with an M1. Split my whole right eyebrow open. That wasn't a fun day.

I have 2 of these if any of you guys want to fire one. One's in .308 and the other is a 30-06. They're fun to shoot and nothing compares to the famous "ping!" when you've ejected the cartridge.

If you guys really want to shoot a piece of nostalgia that is far superior to the M1, it's the Belgium FN49. Unfortunately I don't own one of these, but I've been looking for one in .308 for a few years. These rifles are amazing pieces of engineering made by D.J. Saive. If you can ever find one of these, buy it!

Jim

Back