• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CrazyJim's Jeepspeed/Prerunner XJ build

This is what happens to your brakes after a year of not driving
IMG_1375.jpg

thats what my brakes look like after 12 hours of not driving.

nice to see this thing getting some action again

Worked on her a bit more today, didn't get a whole lot done, only got a few hours in since I worked til 7:00am. Pulled the dash out, and started planning out changing my a-pillar bars. Now that the Jeep is going to be street friendly again, I want my door panels back, which means I'll have to run my a-pillar bars down through the dash. Originally I turned the pillars out a bit from the T&J kit to give me more foot room, but I wasn't able to shut my doors with the original panels on.

The dash in this thing was a BITCH to remove. Every 4" was another wire attached by a stupid plastic clip. It's definitely not going back together the same way it was from the factory.

photo1.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

You can see in these shots that without the dash, the a-pillar bars have a lot of room to move. We'll be starting on that tomorrow.

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

Most importantly though, she came home with me tonight. I took her by the pressure washer, and cleaned all the mud and gunk, bird doo doo and general funk off her. She definitely looks like a happier Jeep now that she's clean.

Dawn took this shot while I was washing her, she said it looked like she was crying... Awwww. TEARS OF JOY!!!!

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

Thanks man, like I said I'm stoked. I have a deadline set and have every intention of finishing it before then.
First off jimmy, we have heard that before... I say thanksgiving of 2011 you'll be putting the dash back on ! Haha
And second seeing that wrecker is making me pitch a tent!!! I miss going with you to steal peoples cars.. so we need to go again, you still owe me for checking on that excursion for you the other day. I've been hitting the gym and I got some badass new overalls (matt from operatioń repo signature model overalls btw) and have been pickin up some sweet tips by watching him on the show.. with my level of intelegence you need me on your team...

Lookin good! Is that just the T&J cage or is there something extra that you're hiding?

First off jimmy, we have heard that before... I say thanksgiving of 2011 you'll be putting the dash back on ! Haha
And second seeing that wrecker is making me pitch a tent!!! I miss going with you to steal peoples cars.. so we need to go again, you still owe me for checking on that excursion for you the other day. I've been hitting the gym and I got some badass new overalls (matt from operatioń repo signature model overalls btw) and have been pickin up some sweet tips by watching him on the show.. with my level of intelegence you need me on your team...

Hahaha I was like, who da fu... Sandy, get your ass over to Lee's today, we're diving in!

Lookin good! Is that just the T&J cage or is there something extra that you're hiding?

Everything you see there is the T&J cage, it's a tight fitting mofo for sure. The only thing I'm changing is the a-pillar bars to go through the dash, and adding some triangulation.

Jim, I'm getting ready to do my '98. Hows the A/C look? Does it look like you can keep/ modify the ducts? You keeping them/Ditching them?

For your reading pleasure, here are all the faces.....
:exclamati:sad1::shiver::flipoff:NAXJA:compwork::jester::read::video::geek::rof:Damit. Theres a limit.

Jim, I'm getting ready to do my '98. Hows the A/C look? Does it look like you can keep/ modify the ducts? You keeping them/Ditching them?

For your reading pleasure, here are all the faces.....
:exclamati:sad1::shiver::flipoff:NAXJA:jester::read::geek::rof:Damit. Theres a limit.

Honestly I was looking at it, I'm thinking the tube is going to end up DEAD in the center of the outside ducts... which sucks. I'm going to try to figure something out, at the very least possibly seal it up somehow, I'll let you know. I'm going back over there today to run the a-pillars, dash will still be out for a while though.

That manican in the 5th pic is bad ass!

Hahahahaha, that's Lee's wife, she's real. :laugh:

18051_1241904300592_1618865520_587634_4917770_n.jpg

WELP! Another day down. We didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked, but we definitely made forward progress. Keep in mind, this is the first time I've EVER bent tube on a bender, it's definitely a mental work out with all the numbers and angles.

We started off by cutting the front half of the T&J cage off, to get ready to build the DOM a-pillars.

IMG_1418.jpg

After that, we started mocking up and finally bent some tube. Now, we had to figure out where to START bending, what angle to bend, and where to START bending again. On top of that, I wanted to follow the inward angle of the a-pillar, which we figured to be around 10* in. So we started bending, this is what we came up with:

IMG_1395.jpg

It ended up fitting beautifully, I couldn't be happier with the pillars

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

My down tubes are now at exactly 90* both directions.

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

More TIG welding :D

IMG_1412.jpg

We then pulled it back out, and started 360 welding everything. We also started to triangulate the roof, but got hung up on a few tubes. Notching correctly is probably the HARDEST part about this build so far. It's such a bitch to get right. We were pretty wiped by 2 am when we called it quits.

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

Anywho, more updates in 2 weeks, next weekend I'm going to Mexico!

Nice jim!!!

Thanks man, still trying like mad to finish before my deadline!

So when do you wanna make another one? :) it's lookin good man!

Haha, man I'm not sure if I EVER want to make another one, this is such a PITA... I think starting from scratch would probably be easier though, rather than adding to an already existing / welded cage.

OMG did hell freeze over?!?!
Right on Jim!
Have a blast and eat plenty of tacos.

Yea yea yea, Tony told me he'd keep my big ass safe :D I'm trusting him. It'd be nice to see you down there!

Taking Jim down for some good times in mexico next week Curt. Fly down and join us!!

Back