• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CrazyJim's Jeepspeed/Prerunner XJ build

Hey now... I've hit you up a few times about this with no response...
ohreally.gif

You keep asking off the wall question about what goes in a BA-10, I haven't had a call out the XJ....:D Actually from now till the end of May is going to be a really bad time for me to do anything but house work...

Hey Jim, how did you sleeve the cage together? need some ideas... I ordered the T&J cage tuesday.....dun dun dun

UPDATE!!!!!

Well, spent all day yesterday working on the XJ. It was nice getting back under the thing. It's a bit upsetting to see what condition it is in, rust has seemed to overtake my axles, frame stiffeners etc. It's all just surface rust, and nothing bad, but it definitely needs some TLC. She's also going to need a GOOD wetsand / buff if not a new paintjob once she's done as well. The sun hasn't treated her well.

Anyway, yesterday's plan was to get her back to ride height, and back on some 33's. I went over to install my

Deaver rear springs
Throw the coil spacers on the front (which I will not be using now)
T&J front shock mounts bolted up (will weld later)
Install Track bar drop bracket / Track Bar / Track Bar brace

As always nothing went smoothly, my leaf spring bolts are destroyed! My front bushing on the passenger side must have been done for quite some time, see the picture of it below. All 4 bolts were marred, the front two being the worst. I spent a couple hours trying to source a bolt somewhere but was unable to find the funky ass bolt for it. I'll call the dealer on Tuesday. The threw bolt on the passenger side broke as well, and the bottom leaf fell off when I took it off the axle. I also need new U-Bolts, however those can go on when I drop the new axle in. We loosely installed the leafs to get her moving around. On to the front, again nothing lined up well there, but eventually we got it. All in all it was definitely a day working on the Jeep, she reminded me how much of a bitch she can be and why I shouldn't neglect her for so long.... payback it seems. Anyway, here are some pictures, pay no mind to how dirty she is, she'll be getting a bath soon.

This is how she's looked for the past year
IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

Started with the rear leafs:
IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Here's some of the carnage:
IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Finally making some forward progress:
IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

This is what happens to your brakes after a year of not driving
IMG_1375.jpg

Getting the 33's on and moving on to the front:
IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

And finally how she ended up sitting after we were finished for the day.
IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

She's sitting a little low in the front end, granted I have no weight over the rear of my fresh Deavers either. But it's looking like I'm going to go with a Deaver 5.5 spring and ditch the coil spacer. I had planned on running the 3.5" full traction coils since they seemed to work so well for me, but won't be able to get the spacer over my bump cans, it's just too big and I can't grind the inside of the spacer enough without losing the lip.

Jim she looks neglected after you get it in simi running order you need to take her on a beat run and show her some love! Those fresh deavers look tits! I'm running a spacer with my deaver coils and couldn't be happier, my front end is smooth as butter. It sucks to know that when I put bumps in that I will have to take them out... But you know what they say of there is a will, there is a way! Looking forward to finally seeing you out in the dirt! :)

Three things Jim...

Just call Dave in from Kentucky and let him do the detail work...

Was it nice to finally "drive it into the garage"......

And last, those wheels are gay, you should buy my black ones..... :D

Justin

Jim she looks neglected after you get it in simi running order you need to take her on a beat run and show her some love! Those fresh deavers look tits! I'm running a spacer with my deaver coils and couldn't be happier, my front end is smooth as butter. It sucks to know that when I put bumps in that I will have to take them out... But you know what they say of there is a will, there is a way! Looking forward to finally seeing you out in the dirt! :)

Thanks, I'm pumped to get her going for sure!

Three things Jim...

Just call Dave in from Kentucky and let him do the detail work...

Was it nice to finally "drive it into the garage"......

And last, those wheels are gay, you should buy my black ones..... :D

Justin

I know, I've talked to Tony multiple times about having dave come out, I've got a few chips etc though that can't be "buffed" out. And yes, it was nice to drive it under it's own power into the garage haha. I need to get those breathers from you for the top of the valve cover too, don't let me forget that.

As for the wheels, I'm not looking for black wheels, but the fact they're 15x7 instead of 15x8 is tempting ;)

what rear leafs were on that?

It had Alcan's on it, they did well.

Are those tires 9.50? They look tiny and yea Justin is right. ;)

Nope, 33x10.50's

Are those the shackles that you are going to run or do have something different planned?

Yea, they're modified to fit the "baja bushings" in the rear. I'll see how they do. Why?

Yea, they're modified to fit the "baja bushings" in the rear. I'll see how they do. Why?

Are they a stright shackle or a boomerang style? Any interference issues with the rear cross member?

Glad to see that thing getting some attention. She sure is a beauty.

Thanks man, like I said I'm stoked. I have a deadline set and have every intention of finishing it before then.

Are they a stright shackle or a boomerang style? Any interference issues with the rear cross member?

They're a boomerang shackle, a but hard to see in the picture, and the shot you see of them is at droop, the angle is WAY better at ride height. Probably a good 45 degrees or so. I'm sure I'll have interference at bump with the rear cross member, but I intend on removing what's not necessary and plating the rest.

Lookin good Jimbo! Glad to see you getting it back in shape finally. You must have gotten worried when I said I'd have mine done before yours :D

Back