• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CrazyJim's Jeepspeed/Prerunner XJ build

Thanks guys... and we talked the idea over yesterday about building these for the Jeep world. The problem is the lowers have about $250 in them in material alone, plus welding supplies, fab time, and welding time. They're expensive. The uppers don't have quite as much, but have more fab time in them, as well as welding time.

I thought fo sho you were gonna go with a long arm setup.. Are you trying to keep it low budge or are adj's with DBs the new long arm?

Hey Jim I just picked the T&G cage up too. Did you weld the plates in or blot em? If welded did you plate the underside of the body? I hear that's what most people do because its so easy the weld thru the sheet metal.

X2 on the Beef! Looks corn fed!
(I don't think we paid for the product placement, so THANK YOU!)

Haha no problem, thanks for an awesome product at a smokin' price!

I thought fo sho you were gonna go with a long arm setup.. Are you trying to keep it low budge or are adj's with DBs the new long arm?

At the amount of travel our Jeep's pull, I think short arms are a better bet. They give you way better geometry than a long arm setup, unless your long arms were on drop brackets as well. The advantage to long arms would be if you were going to pull 12-14" out of the front, they would have a larger arc, and move less front to rear throughout travel. With this 10-11" I'll be pulling, the short arms are a better option. They're stronger, less weight, and are at a 0 degree plane at ride height.

Hey Jim I just picked the T&G cage up too. Did you weld the plates in or blot em? If welded did you plate the underside of the body? I hear that's what most people do because its so easy the weld thru the sheet metal.
I haven't finished mine yet, but I'll be bolting the plates in, sandwiching the body between them and then stitch welding to the floor. Eventually I'll probably run support tubes from the bottom plate to the frame rail somewhere.

All little trick for prepping washers, nuts, etc for tig welding is to dip them in muratic acid, and then rinse them with water. Works really well on the zinc plated "gold" looking stuff and only takes about a minute of your time to do. You can get the acid at the hardware store.

Looks awesome! Everything takes longer than expected, and if you don't give it the time, you'll never be happy with the end result.

Keep slavin' away....

Nice tip Dan! Home Depot also has the acid, in the pool and spa chemicals section. Anywhere that sells chemicals for pools should have it in stock as its used to balance the PH levels.

All little trick for prepping washers, nuts, etc for tig welding is to dip them in muratic acid, and then rinse them with water. Works really well on the zinc plated "gold" looking stuff and only takes about a minute of your time to do. You can get the acid at the hardware store.

Looks awesome! Everything takes longer than expected, and if you don't give it the time, you'll never be happy with the end result.

Keep slavin' away....

Damn, what a good idea, I've never heard of that. Works with galvanized etc? I'll definitely go pick some up this weekend, I'm sure we'll have some more similar welds.

Also thank you for the props, and thanks for the encouragement. I'm desperately trying to get this together by Dec. but it's got me worried with the amount of time I can actually dedicate towards this.

Thanks Tom! Means a lot coming from you.

The acid works on anodizing too, eats it right off. Just don't leave the part in there too long the acid will eat the aluminum too :D

Well... I got tired of not being in the desert again, so I decided to get back to work on the XJ with the little time I do have. I made the decision finally on where to run the dash bar. It's going to run under the dash. I may regret it later on when I see how much dash I'm going to have to cut out, but I think in the end it will make for a nicer build.

7076c805.jpg

5721fb21.jpg

Don't mind the surface rust... I feel bad for neglecting her. She's back at my house for the next couple weeks. I'm going to work on getting the surface rust off, and also remove all the asphalt insulation shit on the floor.

You still aren't done? :D

Back