• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

collection of jeep stuff(build/blog)

Lmao.. still need to do that !! Just got a carrier from John so I hope to set them up tonight or early tomorrow. Fingers crossed lol!

Thanks for the kind words my friends

Ordered the part for the rear locker. I'm hoping I can swap it out without having to remove carrier and reset the gears. I'll be checking the bl on the rear again.

nice. what did it need?

Got backlash to .003 roughly. Little tight but hopefully that's good. Pattern looks darn good.

Thats good!! Hope you can get rollin soon!

Tight pattern means less deflection. You'll probably break something else before you mess up those gears

That seems way too tight. If they were new gears, I probably would still set it a little looser than that. Once those gears get hot, that little bit of backlash is going away. Take a few extra minutes now and do it right.

Good point on the metal expanding and there would virtually minimal backlash .. I have no idea what it was beforehand ice never tried to set gears aside from setting the backlash on the front and rear.. but I like it..

These are new bearings in the carrier and gears don't have much miles... Maybe 1000-1200.

Would the bearings press on further and crush the shims slightly and maybe change the bl a bit?

If you are using set up bearings then once you put on the real bearings you may have to adjust the shims again, but only a little bit. Just don't count on it being perfect until you adjust the preload and backlash to the new bearings.

Finished putting the 30 back together got the chromos back in and all. Took it around town and have no noticable noise. Went and wheeled down to the river here and fine.

Cut a piece off an old bumpstop and used it for the carrier.. I previously just sorta temporary put some stick insulation padding.. It worked OK but wasn't gonna last. All is well and doesnt rattle a bit. Painted it with bedliner spray.

Must've messed up the old seal on passenger side.. it's leaking out the tube a bit..

Guess it's rear it down again.

Noticed my rear brakes aren't working too hot so I'll have to of look into that and bleed/adjust them.

Still no sign of the part for my locker shipping :(

Back