• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee VS Liberty

Newbie94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What was Jeep thinking when they discontinued the XJ Cherokee and began the shitty lookin Liberty... The liberty is smaller, uglier, more girly, and lets face it... just lame... I say XJ Lovers should Rise up and say WE WANT THE XJ BACK... whose with me???

Before I give my opinion, I have to ask that before you bash the KJ, have you ever driven one?

My mom's got one and they're alot tougher than most give them credit for...she does a number on it...and I did too back when I drove it (just a different number...:D)

Yes i have driven a Liberty... and it sucked o_O took it off roading and i swear to god i couldnt baja in the damn thing... I like the fact that its small.. but its too small... it doesnt look like a man;s truck... more like a soccer mom's little boy transport. the XJ kicks ass compared to the KJ... maybe it was that particular jeep but it still stands firm... that jeep made a mistake discontinueing the XJ Cherokee and replacing it with the KJ Liberty... maybe i just need to drive a different KJ maybe u r right but i would rather see a 2007 Cherokee than another lame brain addition like the Compass to the line up... to me the Liberty and the Compass are both Minivans from what i see.. we'll see i'll give a different one a try.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Before I give my opinion, I have to ask that before you bash the KJ, have you ever driven one?

My mom's got one and they're alot tougher than most give them credit for...she does a number on it...and I did too back when I drove it (just a different number...:D)

99XJSPORT06 said:

Yup, have to agree. Friend of mine has a KJ Renegade, and it's pretty impressive in the rough. I don't like the lack of a solid front axle or comparatively-low stock ground clearance in XJ terms, but for what it is it's decent. And with that out of the way:

!!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1

and you have the name of a 1970's anime show...... so what?? sure i'm a newb to the world that is jeep but i am not a retard... yeah it got rid of the 4.0... but then again the Wrangler still has the 4.0.. still the XJ should not have been discontinued... they should have done what ford did with the mustang... put a better engine under the hood..

Speed_racer said:
Your name says it all....

This has been b!tch3d about, over n over..

And you didn't even break it down to what actually matters... IFS... got rid of the 4.0....

i have to drive a KJ for work. it sucks and i hate it. but ultimatly it boils down to DC marketing. they felt the newer look of the KJ would be better for sales, and it appears to be cause its still selling. especially to women.

stewie said:
ultimatly it boils down to DC marketing. they felt the newer look of the KJ would be better for sales, and it appears to be cause its still selling. especially to women.

When I asked Jeep representatives at Camp Jeep in '03 this same line of questioning, that's how they answered. In that respect, they did their job well. More female buyers = more sales = more money; just like any other business. Not saying I like it.....

FYI Liberties ARE Cherokees in Europe.:lecture:

casm said:
Yup, have to agree. Friend of mine has a KJ Renegade, and it's pretty impressive in the rough. I don't like the lack of a solid front axle or comparatively-low stock ground clearance in XJ terms, but for what it is it's decent. And with that out of the way:

!!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1

LOL yeah Thats why i was holding off on giving my speech about them....it's been more than beaten to death.

There are actually a couple of SFA KJ's runnin around out there that people have converted over and they are really friggin cool.

Yes, there not an XJ. No Chrysler is not bringing back the XJ.....Given what the KJ's got, it most certainly holds its own when wheeled.

Anyone wanna bet how long its gonna be before somebody posts the link to the video where the guy in the KJ blew up his tcase being a dumbass, and blame it on the "stupid liberty"????

99XJSPORT06 said:
LOL yeah Thats why i was holding off on giving my speech about them....it's been more than beaten to death.

No kidding - it's been what, over five years since the XJ went out of production and people are still bleating on about 'HAY GISE OMG TEH KJ IS GHEY LOLZ'?

Who. Friggin'. Cares. The XJ's gone, and it's not coming back. People wanna drive KJs... That's fine with me. I don't, so I don't. It's not worth getting worked up over. If it really is that important, move to China and buy a Jeep 2500. Problem solved.

There are actually a couple of SFA KJ's runnin around out there that people have converted over and they are really friggin cool.

Yup, I've seen two out here on the trails that're pretty awesome. Can't really say they're my cup of tea, but the work that went into them is pretty kickass, and it's nice to see people doing with them what people have always done with Jeeps - building and using them.

Speed_racer said:
Actually, Speed Racer has been in the U.S. since the 60's, believe it or not.

Think you might've replied to the wrong post there ;)

Hey Newbie97 you say the Wranglers still have a 4.0? Which ones because all I see are V6's. I dont like the Liberty but if you are a good driver you can go just as good in a stock liberty as you can in a stock cherokee....I have seen it done.

Speed_racer said:
Actually, Speed Racer has been in the U.S. since the 60's, believe it or not.

Hell yeah! I used to watch Speed Racer all the time, in the day. Speed Racer, Ultraman...ahh, the good ol' days.

casm said:
No kidding - it's been what, over five years since the XJ went out of production and people are still bleating on about 'HAY GISE OMG TEH KJ IS GHEY LOLZ'?
BAAAAHAHAA!!! :roflmao:

casm said:
Yup, I've seen two out here on the trails that're pretty awesome. Can't really say they're my cup of tea, but the work that went into them is pretty kickass, and it's nice to see people doing with them what people have always done with Jeeps - building and using them.

They are very cool. There are alot of people who are building up KJ's and wheelin them...just gotta know how to drive and work around some of the obstacles the KJ has vs. the XJ. I've seen some KJ's get wheeled HARD and they keep right on goin...

stewie said:
they felt the newer look of the KJ would be better for sales, and it appears to be cause its still selling. especially to women.

werid cause ever since the moment i first saw them i thought they were ugly, i don't know how they would drive, but some reason i just hate the way they look and i am woman...

personally i really love the newest commanders, they look much better, i would love to drive one.

Last edited:
Ah yes, one of D1llinger's minions resurfaces.

I drive a Liberty occasionally for work. The things I don't like are the cramped feel in the interior compared to the Cerokee, and the seats feel like two boards nailed together. Otherwise, it has plenty of power and I have been pleasantly surprised at how well it handles muddy potato fields and icy roads. Obviously, I can't take a gov't vehicle rock crawling so I can't evaluate that, but for what we need in a 4x4 it does okay.

chelms27 said:
Hey Newbie97 you say the Wranglers still have a 4.0? Which ones because all I see are V6's. I dont like the Liberty but if you are a good driver you can go just as good in a stock liberty as you can in a stock cherokee....I have seen it done.

You're correct...the new Wranglers are V-6's. He must have meant that the Wrangler (TJ) carried on with the 4.0 after the XJ was dropped and the KJ introduced with the 3.7L.

johnlv6 said:
You're correct...the new Wranglers are V-6's. He must have meant that the Wrangler (TJ) carried on with the 4.0 after the XJ was dropped and the KJ introduced with the 3.7L.

Or he's just an idiot.

Talking about TJ's etc or just an idiot.

I vote idiot.

Back