• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage construction

I just want to pound my head against a wall....

Does anyone here know of a well written article on how to cut down and change a full float rear 60 to a semi float?
I thought I needed to get explorer brackets, calipers and rotors, install all this with that nifty 5mm spacer from Currie and I'd be done with it.
Well....the Explorer disks (that I ended up with) are 5x4.5 bolt pattern and it doesn't appear as though I needed that 5mm spacer.

Without being a smart ass, can someone explain what the XXXX?

:flamemad:

Sorry, I don't know of any writeups but this is what I know.
With the Ford 8.8 brakes you'll need axle shafts with a 2.5" offset(same as XJ Dana44 shafts) which is measured from the WMS to the face of the axle seal when in the installed position.
All 8.8 rotors are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern just like a XJ Dana44 drum. Drill out the rotor just like you would a drum. When you cut down the housing you'll need to take into account the width of the Ford big bearing ends you're using, the 2.5" axle offset, and the thickness of the 8.8 rotors to figure out your intended WMS/WMS width.
An alignment bar is recomended because if you're using an old Dana60 truck housing it is likely bent. If it is going in a trail only rig this step is less important.
You will likely need some sort of spacer between the axle retainer ring and axle seal. I prefer the slip on kind rather than the kind you have to put on before pressing on the bearings and retainer sleeves. I had to custom grind mine for whatever reason because they were too thick. I ended up with a spacer that was about 7/64" thick.
When a semi float shaft is bolted down there should be a TINY bit of in and out play to avoid smoking the bearings.

I should know better than come inside and post up after a frustrating afternoon in the garage. After I calmed down a bit (Stone Pale Ale) I made a call or two and found most of the information I needed.
There is still the issue of the spacer appearing to be totally unnecessary, but I need to look to see if the axle is just that bit too long.
Other than hoping to get the axle installed, the garage time was
productive non the less.

Thanks Jes

I'm thinking that Cal and Avery (Cracker) might have pinpointed the problem with the axle. Apparently the set 20 bearing sleeve might be a bit too long.
I'll cut it down tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Finally got the rear axle finished up and installed.
I'm heading to TDS later on tonight and tomorrow...
the rig will have to wait until Sunday to get any more
work done on it.

dscn1728.jpg

dscn1729.jpg

I'll cut it up to make it easier to ship!
what do you mean cut it up, you built in the quick release weld system, just hit it on a weld with a hammer and all the welds release at the same time!!! LOL... jk, looking cool :laugh2:

dscn1745.jpg

dscn1747.jpg

I set the front axle under the rig, near where I think its going. It looks like I'll be raising the front end a bit. There was only about 3" of room for up travel.
And the track bar mount will need to be modified too.

I really do want to make sure there is at least something original left on the rig when I'm done.

You'll have the original moron still driving it :D

This from a guy who had to part out his rig because his wife found out you actually spent money on it...

:rolleyes:

Not quite but good try.

Back