• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little warning for you 8.8 guys

Don't worry Bluto the 8.8 is stronger than a 44 in nearlly every aspect. There is just a rash of dana 44 zombies posting. Yes the tubes can spin, this becomes a problem when you are running a traction bar. Without a traction bar its probably not a concern but some welds would be cheap insurance. All axles have a weak point and none are bulletproof, well except maybe a 14 bolt :)

I had better get out and prep that 8.25 to put in my jeep I am going to get the 27 spline shafts cyroed so they will be stronger than 29 spline shafts, I can't wait to try out my 30x9.50s :rolleyes:

Hey BLUTO, don't worry about your 8.8, it's a good axle. I'm only having some fun ragging on the guys who have come on the boards touting the superiority of the 8.8 over a D44 whenever someone asks about a D44. Both are good axles.

The 8.8 is showing signs of weakness when used hard. It's not bad, but not as good as people have made it out to be. Sure it has just slightly bigger axles than a D44, and it has a bigger and stronger pinion, but the axle tubes and center section are weak.....and it's still a c-clip. Guys that drag race with 8.8's (Mustangs) need to put c-clip eliminators on them because they aren't allowed to run c-clip axles on the drag strip. When you've seen alloy D44 shafts break, 9" shafts break, 30 spline D60 shafts break, you think about those c-clips. Of course, I've broken a D44 ring and pinion.......with 33's. :D

BTW, here's a shot of a broken D60 shaft and a 37" tire. :D

standard.jpg

Just having some fun........

Goatman said:

The 8.8 is showing signs of weakness when used hard. It's not bad, but not as good as people have made it out to be. Sure it has just slightly bigger axles than a D44, and it has a bigger and stronger pinion, but the axle tubes and center section are weak.....and it's still a c-clip. Guys that drag race with 8.8's (Mustangs) need to put c-clip eliminators on them because they aren't allowed to run c-clip axles on the drag strip. When you've seen alloy D44 shafts break, 9" shafts break, 30 spline D60 shafts break, you think about those c-clips. Of course, I've broken a D44 ring and pinion.......with 33's. :D

BTW, here's a shot of a broken D60 shaft and a 37" tire. :D

standard.jpg

There's only .010 difference in diameter between a 30-spile Dana 44 axle, and a 31-spline 8.8. (1.121" vs 1.131") The c-clip slot on the 8.8 axle is WAY less than that. IMO, the thickness of the axle tubes and the strength of the Dana 44 housing more than makes up for that.
That pic tells alot. Notice the tire is still attached to the rig, and that's a FF Dana 60! If that break had happened to a c-clip axle, the wheel and tire would've seperated themselves from the Jeep, as there'd be nothing holding the wheel on. Breaks can and do happen to all axles. I'd MUCH rather have my Jeep be able to roll a little ways than have to rig a way to drag it because my wheel came off!:eek: I don't want to depend on a c-clip to hold my wheel on.
OTOH, an 8.8 w/c-clip eliminator, truss, and welded axle tubes WOULD be a nice addition to an XJ!:)

Who's SEEN the c-clips fail on the 8.8

I have seen two go one in the cinders here in Flagstaff and the backing plate bent up so bad the wheel would not roll the brakes where bound up

The second time was @ table mesa road on white line

ARTSTER said:
Dana 44 all the way. Anything Ford uses as O.E. equipment will eventually break.

where do you think everyone gets those hp dana 44 fronts they're putting in their jeeps? definitely not from other jeeps!

matthew

When I installed my 8.8, I didn't weld anything except the perches and shock mounts. I have yet to spin a tube after 2 years locked with 37's. I have broken the flange yoke though...
Maybe I am not wheeling hard enough.
standard.jpg

Not saying it won't happen but it hasn't happen to me yet.
The last 8.8 I installed in a TJ, I welded the tubes to the housing and welded on a skid plate.

Ary'01XJ said:
All this debate between 8.25s, 8.8s and 44s.......

All I have to say is 60 60 60 :D

Thats what Im thinking. I've still got my 8.25, but when it goes or I just want to move to bigger tires, I've got a 79 Ford hp FF d60 35 spline w/ detroit ready to go in. ;)

Last edited:
Here's some real life pointers from a guy who has broken a LOT of shit (8.8 and Ford):

- 8.8's need to have their tubes welded. Not stitch welded, fully welded.

- Dana 44 pinions break when pushed hard.

- 8.8 tubes are thin. They could use reinforcing.

- Dana axles are a bitch to set up.

- The larger diameter of a Ford tube more than offsets their lack of thickness when it comes to overall housing rigidity.

- A 4 pinion Dana 44 carrier is stronger than a 2 pinion 8.8 carrier.

- A 3 pinion 8.8 carrier is stronger than a 4 pinion Dana 44 carrier.

- Alloy 30 spline axles have a maximum torque rating of about 6,200 ft/lbs. A 31 spline axle is around 7,000. A difference of about 10%.

- I have seen as many bearing retainers on Dana axles fail as I have seen C-clips fail. It is not very common in either case, and is not something I worry about in the least.

- A Tera 60 will solve all your problems, especially if you set up as a full floater.

- Toyota rear axles are far superior to any OEM 1/2 ton American axles in design, engineering, strength, and materials.

CRASH

9", 9", 9"!!!

well some area better some are worse youneed to look for large bearing, 31 spline units....many are smaller spline and small bearing POS

There's only .010 difference in diameter between a 30-spile Dana 44 axle, and a 31-spline 8.8. (1.121" vs 1.131") The c-clip slot on the 8.8 axle is WAY less than that. IMO, the thickness of the axle tubes and the strength of the Dana 44 housing more than makes up for that.

that .010 diffrence is good for a lot more axle strength. Warn torque test machine couldn't break an 8.8 shaft that read up to 6400 lbs the 44 shaft snapped at 4200 or 4400 lbs. And the C-clip slot does not hold any torque, its past the splines. it only holds the axle in. BTW c-clip eliminators are not good for 4 wheeling they don't take the side loads well. There really isn't much wrong with c-clips. Even if you break a shaft in a non c-clip axle odds are you will have to pull the carrier anyway to remove the stub. Ask Richard how many times he has seen the stubs come out without removing the carrier? He has seen alot more breaks than I have and last I heard from him he has NEVER seen a stub come out without removing the carier.

Another thing you aren't taking into account is that most of these 8.8 failures are with 35s or larger tires with traction bars and high hp or low gearing. where it typically considered to only run 35s and smaller on 44s.

Like Richard said they are both comparable axles and the 8.8 gets a slight nod over the 44 in most categories. lets face it they are both rated as 1/2 ton axles. Mostly we over here are the west coast are giving each other crap about our junk.

I am off to go shotpeen my 8.25 axles between that and the cyro they will be at least as strong as a 35 spline shaft:cool:

xjnation where those disc or drum axles, the disc ones hold their c-clip better, and they were probably on full size broncos? or big tired jeeps.

one on a TJ and one on an CJ, and both where discs, one big problem talking to an ex ford engineer (now retired in Lake Havasu City) is the reason they did not weld the rosettes in is because they knew the center section would not handle the stress, and would crack and eventually fail under heavy stress, (that has happened to several jeep guys on PBB), so they left it so the tubes they way the did so the would give first. F.O.R.D.
(Found On Road Dead)

Gary E said:

I am off to go shotpeen my 8.25 axles between that and the cyro they will be at least as strong as a 35 spline shaft:cool:

Can I bring my D30 shafts over for the same modification? :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh3:

CW. said:
9", 9", 9"!!! ;)
Stronger than either of the mentioned axles (exept the 35sp 60), comes on the same truck as the HPd44, and they are easy to set up.

Should I say the same thing about the guys who always come on the boards touting the superiority of the Ford 9" anytime an axle discussion comes up? :D :D

A 9" ring, pinion, and carrier are really stout, and the housing is light weight. You do have to be sure to get a 31 spline and not an older 28 spline 9", and I've seen 31 splines break. The problem with a 9" and rock crawling is that it has the lowest pinion of any axle out there, so is more susceptible to driveline damage and rear yoke damage. If you choose to run a 9", be sure to carry a spare driveline, and watch which line you take.

haha, i hate this discussion. :mad: who freaking cares if you have either. get one, shut up, and dont talk about it...ever.NAXJA

BillR said:
There's only .010 difference in diameter between a 30-spile Dana 44 axle, and a 31-spline 8.8. (1.121" vs 1.131")

I think the measurements of those two axles are 1.31" dia for the D44 and 1.32" for the 8.8. :)

small pederson said:
haha, i hate this discussion. :mad: who freaking cares if you have either. get one, shut up, and dont talk about it...ever.NAXJA

:rolleyes:

What rock did this guy crawl out from under?

Back