• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Humboldt-Cherokee Blog.

I ordered the rail shifter yesterday. I had 9 bucks that I forgot about on paypal, so I got the shifter for 75 bucks! haha

I also bought 2 switches.
One is an on/on, allowing me to switch between the rail, and the tcu (stock operation.)
The second is a on/off/on, allowing me to choose stock function of the torque converter, tc off, and tc locked.

I should be able to install it all next week. 2nd gear control! whooo!

I know that Max (Webdog) installed one of these not too long ago. You could PM him with questions/tips/tricks? I may get one eventually.

Yeah, I'll be sure to post.

I got the switches, and a diagram for wiring.

With lots of pictures I hope.

I'm trying to get cash stashed away to get one of these soon. Second gear control makes for safer mountain driving!

Unless the mail is coming uber late... the tracking info was wrong.

Isn't today the 31st? I still haven't received the shifter.

Dude, when you're out on samoa island are you eating at the cookhouse? haha, go down to Fortuna, go out the 36, you can wheel off of the hiway in a hundred places, and the wet only makes it tuffer. Also, get down the eel river just past Rio Dell, there's a public way in, water crossing, lots of beach, cool for a picnic at the beach with a girl, some off roading as well. enjoy, I'm glad to be back in So-cal brother.

Haha, cool. No I haven't been to the Cookhouse in years.

I'll have to check out the 36.

BOOO socal.

I fixed my rear suspension a bit, the shackles were hitting the bumper bolts, stopping uptravel.

The rear is 1 inch from the bumpstop here-Not bad.
fe4e69cc.jpg

And here's a picture of the rail shifter. (I never posted one here)
3e76c148.jpg

Next order of business-
The axle I got from Hiimmred was free, and it was also locked and geared.(Awesome) Otherwise its a POS. It needs new ball joints, all the seals leak, and it's a disco housing.(haha, I'm NOT complaining, and thank you Ed for getting me geared up front for no $.) It has worked for a year, but I'm tired of the leaks.

I have a spare HP dana 30 sitting in my garage, it's a non disconnect.
It's getting
-New ball joints
-Timken hubs
-Swapped gears from my other axle
-Tube seals
-LCA skids
-New upper bushings.
-Overhaul kit

Hopefully this will happen soon, before my DV run.

I just ordered the ball joints, and bought the u joints for my axle.

But I'm having serious doubts about the ownership of my jeep right now.

I love it, but
It's just so sad that a trip to the bay area ends up being half of a pay check in gas right now. (Almost $75 in gas each way, and probably $200 round trip when I factor the driving I do when I'm visiting.)

If this thing wasn't so built, I would probably sell it, and go buy a VW TDI golf, or even a GTI with the turbo motor. Faster, and more road worthy than a jeep, and way more mpg. I just have too much sentimental value with my xj.

I just regret driving anywhere because I spend so much on fuel. Who knows if I will stick to my "keep the xj forever" mentality.

On this note, I'll probably keep my 32 inch tires for a while, unless I randomly get ahold of 600 dollars. I'd like some 33 inch Bighorns, but if I can't even afford gas, that'd be stupid.

Our San Mateo house has been on the market for 7-8 months now, so finances are tight, and my whole family is on edge.

Rant/ off

dude, just buy a cheap craigslist asianshitbox commuter car for cheap & keep the mad flexing xj for the fun stuff.
problem solved.
your welcome.

you can get running toyota camrys tercels etc for like 600-800 bucks. tim and ed are right.

Haha thanks guys! I'm looking at civics right now. I'm not a toyota guy. Not now or ever.

somehow i picture you driving a riceboy crapbox with giant v-tek decals on it. hasta the chix will dig it.

I got a free Saturn from my wife's family. The jeep is more fun to drive when you know you have until the next trip to get everything fixed, instead of Monday for work or school.

The 36mpg is a nice bonus too

Josh

I looked and found a 95 civic hatch with a 5 speed (I've always wanted a manual) for like $650.

Time to save, and convince my parental units.

And yes Tim... RICE BURNING

My dad's jeep got new jk wheels and tires. I love it.

c5ae044e.jpg

9a2d122a.jpg

And yes- It has a Sierra Chapter Sticker in the bottom right of the hatch window! :)

Back