• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Humboldt-Cherokee Blog.

i read it too. i just dont post alot. keep it going. good score on the cage and nice fan setup. i want to follow your fan build to see if there are any kinks down the road.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's quite ghey.

Anyway... if you don't know already, it's a pain in the ASS to try a cage install alone. I need some local help!

It's starting to fit better, but I spent at least an hour re-taping/cleaning the threads. They are much smoother now.

The front lower dash bar doesn't want to sit perfect up to the dash, and the b hoop needs adjusting. Also, my visors and reclining seats are now useless. Thats ok.

I stopped about 10 minutes after this pic. It's all bolted together, but no floor holes/bolts. It's freaking tiring.

1c1ece4b.jpg

31a42497.jpg

094bd646.jpg

4193739e.jpg

Nope. My only intentions are to add some triangulation, and make braces that weld to the bottom base plates to the frame.

One day I might put some gussets on the front h bar corners.

Not sure exactly which ones you're talking about.

This one came with the
front lower bar
front H bar- on the windshield
2 rear hoops
2 connecting rear bars
2 fender support bars.

Ah, yeah. I've seen those.

I don't really intend on adding anything.

I will get some grab handles that they make for wranglers.

You are a crazy guy. That is all. :)

Haha^

I got the whole thing bolted in.

It fits great. My only complaint is that the front dash bar is too close to the dash, it's actually digging into it. Other wise, the seats recline, I didn't have to mess with the overhead console, and the entry/exit is unimpaired.

Im in my last week of school, so next week I will to take the whole thing out, paint it, reinstall the carpet, and assemble it again.

Very cool Sean. A little peace of mind and something to build from if you ever decide to get crazy. Can't wait to see the finished product.:cheers: P.S: yours is the root beer.

HAHA. Root beer.

Thanks Kelly. I will say, the driving characteristics have changed.

-More composed over bumps
-Less body creaking
-More body roll.
-It also feels like the suspension is softer. I have a spare set of leaf packs, so I'll add a leaf, and maybe get some new shocks.

I really can't wait to paint it, and get the damn carpet in. It's very noisy and you can hear every little hum and creak from the drivetrain.

Wow man, kudos to you for getting that cage in! It's not easy stripping out a perfectly good interior on a nice, pretty, late model like that. Especially while you're away at school where I'm sure the working conditions don't exactly lend themselves to having parts laying all over the place. I know I'm skerd to do it. :scared:

Once that thing is in there permanently, can you still remove the dash? How many of the trim panels are pinned in place. I feel like I'm always taking trim panels off for some wiring project or an another. I guess I'm about done with wiring now though so I can't continue to use that as an excuse for much longer...

Haha thanks Tony. The carpet will go back in though, and it will be just as nice as before. My parents moved up here, and all the work has been happening at their place.

The dash is very much so locked in place, however the main dash surrount, lower panels, and the gauges can still be removed. You really don't need more access than that.

The ONLY gripe I have with fit- is the 2 panels near the floor, one wraps around the hood release on my side, and one has the access hole for the fusebox. Once the cage is in, those plastic pieces are stuck. Which also means that my doorless plans are made harder, because you can't access the wiring connectors. And it's kind of a pain to release the hood. haha.

Pics-
23d88bdc.jpg

abc5bf55.jpg

de75e55e.jpg

a939f098.jpg

4d94df35.jpg

92ae30e8.jpg

Oh, sweet. I didn't realize that your folks moved up there. I thought they were still down in the Bay Area. I was imagining seats, carpet, trim panels, etc. piled up under your apartment/dorm carport.

For $700 that is quite a score! Looks great!

Thanks man. I'm really proud of it.

The good thing is that I still have the "weekend warrior" thing going on, because the tires aren't huge, and the lift is low, so it's great to drive on road.

Between the great suspension, and the armored unibody, it feel just as good or better than our wj.

I'm working again, so I can save for that trip to Deer Valley in July. I hope you're all there! And Im sorta thinking a Sierra Chapter Hollister run in June would be cool.

I'm thinking about ditching the all terrains for something lighter, and more aggressive. My at's weigh 58+ lbs. (And the grip is average) The cage really exasperated my need to lose some rotational mass. They say removing 10 lbs in your wheels is like removing 100 from the body.

The Maxxis Bighorn might be a good choice, in the 265/75/16 size, you can get a load C. It's a nice 49 lbs too! (I really don't think I need 33's.) I could lose almost 40 lbs in rotation, and 9 lbs from the tire carrier. Every bit helps.

What do you think?

25658070003_large.jpg

10 rotational = 100 body lbs? so 40 = 400. Seems "they" use very fuzzy math.

It would take a lot to recoupe your cost for the new tires, unless you were getting a new set anyway.

I have heard good things about the big horns in the past but would not make the switch for weight savings.

Back