• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A different cage

Dirk Pitt said:
Is that tube from A pillar to C pillar one continuous tube.

Nice compound bend!

Yeah, that started as one piece about ten foot long. There are only four bends, and the bottom bend on the A pillar was the only compound bend in there - about 45 degrees down and 15 degrees in. I have just been using my little degree finder I bought for setting pinion angle to get the second angle, and it seems to be working okay.

Travis

Nothing much. I should have something worthwhile next week or so...

I hope to have the basic cage work done before Christmas, but everything seems to take twice as long as I think it will, so who knows...

Travis

98XJDMB said:
i'm no "expert" but i think this would be perfect:
newcage.JPG

That is more like my original design, but I realized I couldn't salvage that much tubing from my old cage. :gee:

i really like the idea, but that A piller is just bugging the crap out of me. especially that leading corner. if you roll and that takes a hit from the front, and you wanna replacement windshield, you're really gonna have fun un-collapsing the A's tubular structure and straightening that seam that the windshield sits in. just ditch your windshield! :D

I have a little more done now. The dash bar is in, all the roof supports are in, the b-pillar brace is fitted, the rear wheel wells are completely removed, and the back part of the roof is gone. Although I still have alot of sheet to put in, it is really light in the rear now. It is sitting an inch or better higher than stock on only three leaves of a stock pack... Although the plan was to come out even, I think this might end up lighter than stock when it is all said and done

cage02.JPG

cage03.JPG

As for the a-pillar not protecting the windshield... This cage is somewhere between an interior and and exo. The side protection is going to be more like an exo, and the roof/windshield rollover protection more like an interior cage. A clever stinger and roof bar combination could help reduce the risk of rollover damage a good bit, but I don't know if that is coming or not.

Travis

I'm not sure exaclty how I am shaping the very front of the floor, but the rest is going to simply slope in from the sides to what is left of the original floor. I have placed the seats, and the floor that is remaining seems to provide adequate space, so anything I do should be okay from that standpoint. The biggest problem I see with a sloping floor like that is that it will make getting in harder, since it will require not only stepping over, but almost a foot inside to get to flat footing. Unfortunatley, that is the only way I can see to properly boatside the rig, which was really the driving force behind this whole build.

Travis

you COULD tie a roof rack into the cage, and tie that into a piller sliders. or just run some 1 1/2'" accross that front/top leading edge. also, i really like that bar that runs on the bottem to tie the sides together. you plannin' on using that for a seat mount?

JeepFreak21 said:
Does the foot of the "X" connect to that little piece between the rocker and frame?
Billy

kinda. There is a piece of 3/16" plate that connects the top edge of that piece to the existing floor right above the 'frame rail' and the top of the front leaf box. The cross brace terminates at that, with one edge pretty much butted against the rocker support piece. In hindsight, I probably should have pulled it out a little further and connected it about half to both, but this should work okay for what it needs to do, especially since there will be additional bracing from side to side and a harness bar in this same basic plane before it is all done.

xuv-this said:
also, i really like that bar that runs on the bottem to tie the sides together. you plannin' on using that for a seat mount?

Well, that bar as it exists right now is just a temporary support thing (really thin junk tubing) that is a holdover from when everything was just tacked together and I needed to keep the sides a fixed distance apart. I am going to replace it with some real steel eventually. The back seat mount will be somewhere in that area, but the front one wont be able to go straight across because of the tranny tunnel - but I am going to do what I can. I might even put some sheet beneath them to connect to the floor full length - which should make that thing pretty (overly?) stiff.

Travis

i would leave that bar there and tie that into the tranny tunnel with a gusset. tie it into the x too. the middle should be pretty stiff, allowing for chassis flex on front and aft ends.

Just thought I would post up a little update. This is taking forever to finish... Between the holidays and all the snow/rain we have been getting, I haven't had a bunch of time to work on this. I have extended the leaf mounts 2.5" in front and 2" in the back, and tied them both into the rest of my cage. No good pics of the rear, but here is the front:

springhanger.JPG

I have also hacked into the front a good bit. I will be plating the 'frame' ala SBS, and beyond that, I am still trying to find my inspiration (keeping in mind I am going to be driving this on the streets)

cutfront2.jpg

More updates when I get something signifcant...

Travis

Okie Terry said:
Mark, if you play with it long enough, the angle will straighten itself out.
:gag: :shhh: :roflmao:

Okay, so it's been a while since I posted up any progress - mostly becasue it doesnt look like I have made any really. The big problem with this part of the build is that I can work all day on it and it looks the same at the end of the day as it did when I started. Anyway, here are a few select shots...

The cage as it sits right now. I still have to add a couple of direct down bars off the C hoop, and some door bars.

updatecage.JPG

The front fender area. This side is pretty much done. The floor has been pushed back three or four inches to meet with the front of the boatside. The fender well is mostly filled in with the old rear inner fender. I still have to finish the area between the coil mount and the radiator support. Also, now that I have this all boxed in, I have no idea how to attach the header panel, since it originally attaches to the fenders from behind. I will figure something out...

floorcut.JPG

innerfender.JPG

There are some pictures of the crossmember in a different thread, and I have posted a few things here and there in other threads. All the pictures are at reno4x4.com in the gallery area. Just go to member's categories and pretty much all the pictures I have posted up are in my area (Zebaru) somewhere.

Travis

The header panel will stay put if you just use the top 4 bolts to hold it on. If you want it to bolt down anymore, you might be able to get away with zip ties instead.

The boatside is all roughed in on the passenger side now. The inside and outside are plated with 18Ga, and the outside will eventually get a layer of 1/2" (or more...) UHMW that will (hopefully) provide some real protection.

boatside01.JPG

boatside02.JPG

The steering was creating some clearance issues, and I was faced with limiting uptravel about 2", but since I am stock height, that only leaves a couple inches, and that just isn’t acceptable. I was going to just lift it a bit to make up for the difference, but I decided instead to just go ahead and notch the frame on the passenger side to allow room for the drag link. I think I might have to adjust the bumpstop just a hair to make sure the drag link stays out of the oil pan on compression.

framenotch01.JPG

The tie rod is going to have to go under the steering arm on the driver side to avoid the track bar and mount. I tried everything I could to avoid this, but there is just no way I can put it on top without a serious decrease in uptravel. Again, I could have lifted and or bumpstopped, but this should be okay, and I can always raise it later if I really want to. In fact, my double shear mount is going to be setup to handle both positions, so if I eventually lift it, I won't have to deal with that.

The track bar is raised four or so inches and shortened just a bit, but I did my best to keep it as long as possible. It is still shorter than the drag link, but it is close. At ride height, the angles look pretty good, so I hope I won’t have any problems. The frame mount is a stock mount modified to take a stock bushing in double shear. It is kept as high as possible, and as tight to the axle as I could to avoid interfering with the tie rod. The axle mount is a piece of 2x4x0.188, which seems to be the perfect inside width for a stock bushing. I am using a rod end however, because it was the easiest way to have adjustability. A lot of folks complain about longevity on the rod ends, but I only put a couple thousand miles on my jeep as it is, so even if I need to replace it every 5k that would be a couple years... And it is easy enough to carry a spare...

steering02.JPG

As I mentioned in another thread on the crossmember, I rotated the transfer case up by re-drilling the transmission. This worked great, and allowed me to run a basically flat belly. I did have to hack the floor to get the case to fit up there, and I also had to beat the floor back pretty good to make room for the driveshaft. The shifter looks like it is going to work just fine however. Given how the seat fits fine with the raised t-case hump, and the big dent in the floor doesnt really interfere with anything, I kinda wonder why Jeep didn't do this stock. A couple inches of clearance for basically free...

The gas tank is in for the most part, and I managed to reuse the stock straps to mount it. I just put some pieces of pipe longitudinally under the ribs, and then moved the straps up and over the tank. I used a new rear crossmember for a rear attachment point, and some tabs up front for the other end. The result should be as strong as stock, or better since the straps are not having to hold the weight of the tank (unless I roll...). On the plus side, I dont have to deal with a gas tank skid, but I did lose any chance of having rear seats. Oh well, my cage design didn't really work for rear seats anyway...

A lot more to do. I have to finish the rear fenders, do the entire driver side sheet metal work, plumb the gas tank, re-plumb the transmission cooler lines, rewire the battery to go behind the passenger seat, finish up the cage details like door bars and a few gussets, install the seat harnesses, fab up shock mounts and get shocks, finish up the front/rear bumpers (though that might wait), complete the t-case skid, maybe come up with a tranny skid, and some other things here and there.

I originally thought I would be done by now, but now I am just hoping to have it ready for Sierra Fest...

More updates as they come.

Travis

Back