• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A different cage

Because I'm bored:

1) Dash bar is outside ala Goatman.

2) B-pillar X could just be a bar if you're going to run a rear seat.

3) I have no idea what I'm talking about :)

newcage.JPG

Thanks for all the input guys.

I do kinda like the look of the tube being more external than internal, then using external connections like that MJ. At this point, for good or bad, I am committed to my basic design as I have both sides bent, and I don't feel like wasting that much tube to go back and do it over. And, with the side bars I have, internal connections look like they are going to be easier and better/stronger.

I plan on running the angled connection from the b-pillar forward all the way from the bend in the b-pillar to the bottom of the A, then maybe tying it back to the bottom of the B if it looks like it needs more support. Probably do the same thing for the C to B... If this makes getting in too much of a pain, then I might angle it down more like Basalt shows.

If I can get on it and don't get too distracted, there should be significant progress pics Monday or so...

Look at those MJ pics - that S-10 in the background of the one looks like it has about 12" of body lift...

Travis

Personally, I think your doing a top notch job, very nice fit up......from what
I see, stick with whats in your head and continue on, dont cut corners, I
think your developing a very nice pcs.

xjj33p3r said:
That thing got cupholders? :wave:

let me hop back onto my super sophisticated computer imaging software and add a few of those, the cool ones that won't ever spill.... those are the best thing for offroading. wow, they will win the best automotive invention on earth in history, they just don't spill, you could roll your rig on its roof and have massive head trauma, gas could be leaking everywhere, but your beer will be fine.

Okie Terry said:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
That picture is awsome!
Same thing I thought when I saw the first one.

You forgot the cross bar for the harnesses.......................... :wierd:

-Mike

98XJDMB said:
let me hop back onto my super sophisticated computer imaging software and add a few of those, the cool ones that won't ever spill.... those are the best thing for offroading. wow, they will win the best automotive invention on earth in history, they just don't spill, you could roll your rig on its roof and have massive head trauma, gas could be leaking everywhere, but your beer will be fine.

My question is do you gimble mount just the cup holder or the cup holder AND the seats?

Shane said:
Wasn't nagging, just my honest opinion. I just joined and I saw this cage, thought it was really slick how he's doing it. then I get jumped on. Sorry if I stepped on toes. Just a dumb NEWB.
Actually, it's NOOB.

Root Moose said:
My question is do you gimble mount just the cup holder or the cup holder AND the seats?

i'd like to do the entire rig inside of one of those, it would use the cupholder principle, but incorporate the whole rig. just can't figure out a mounting point, maybe the moon.

Finally got some time to get back to work on this. After I saw that picture, I really wanted to do what 98XJDMB suggested ,but I didn't have enough tube, so I just kept it simple. I tried to get some pictures that show what is going on inside. The little tubes are just scrap to hold the body rigid while I fit the real cage up.

cageupdate1.JPG

cageinside1.JPG

I originally had the B pillar about 6 inches forward, and then I put the seats in and realized that the bar was right over my head. Aesthetically, it looked better there, and now it seems like there too much space between the A and B bars. I may end up getting more creative with my side bars as a result.

Before I go much further, I have to put the overhead bars between the B and C bars, then drop it all to get a full weld on all the top bars. The assembly on this type of cage has turned out to be much more of a pain than I had anticipated.

As always, comments appreciated - like where to mount my cupholders...

Travis

Zebaru said:
I originally had the B pillar about 6 inches forward, and then I put the seats in and realized that the bar was right over my head. Aesthetically, it looked better there, and now it seems like there too much space between the A and B bars. I may end up getting more creative with my side bars as a result.

Diggin' it.

I don't think it looks odd at all. Kinda XJ 2door meets extended cab look to it this way.

In fact, I'd be inclined to measure a 2 door XJ door and see what that dimension is for ingress/egress to the rear seats if that is an issue at all.

98XJDMB said:
Hmm. Sounds like an episode of Trailer Park Boys in the making. Julian's ever-present drink would survive well...

Nicest job I've seen. I've wondered how to basically skin a tube car in a XJ body, you're doing it inside out.

Maybe you mentioned it but are you going to boatside from the "rockers" to the frame?

As for connecting the A and B pillars, have you thought about making a bar that is semi-parallel to the ground, but that follows the contours of the seat?
cagemod.jpg

I imagine it being more fluid like you have the rest of the cage, but for explanation's sake, it's pretty angular.

I'm thinking about either a straight or single bend bar from the bend point in B forward and down all the way to A. The trick with going higher than the bend point of course is now the bar takes on a third dimension, and the bends and nothches become more complicated. My main reasons for wanting the bar is rigidity - which is best accomplished with a straight bar - and passenger protection - which would probalby be better served with more bends. One other factor I have to consider is that the step in height is already a pain, and it is basically at stock height right now. Terminating the bar short of A would help a bunch with this, but I don't know if it is worth it...

As for the sides, I plan on having 6 total supports from the frame to the rockers, using some thin gauge on the inside, and something somewhat thicker (still relatively thin) on the outside, then plating the outside with something like 1/4" or 3/8" UHMW if I can find it for the right price. They will be smooth one way or another so they don't hang on any rocks.

Travis

Is that tube from A pillar to C pillar one continuous tube.

Nice compound bend!

Beej said:
Hmm. Sounds like an episode of Trailer Park Boys in the making. Julian's ever-present drink would survive well...
Did you see "22 Minutes" Friday night? Bubbles got to go for a blast in "one of those dirty bastards" (CF-18) in Cold Lake.

Back