• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A different cage

Wasn't nagging, just my honest opinion. I just joined and I saw this cage, thought it was really slick how he's doing it. then I get jumped on. Sorry if I stepped on toes. Just a dumb NEWB.

Also if you were at sema, my shop built the RUBITRUK, in Superwinch's booth last year. This year it was in a different building.

Shane said:
Also if you were at sema, my shop built the RUBITRUK, in Superwinch's booth last year. This year it was in a different building.
And I suppose you were the parts runner?

XJ_ranger said:
hey brett - why not have the pillar follow the body lines a little better to protect the sheetmetal? just a thought -

Billy's got the basics. (1)It would be weaker (2) it would be more prone to hanging up on rocks (3) there will be a door bar wrapping from the rearmost tube in that picture, tied into the straight b-pillar tube, and down to the bottom of the A-pillar. this tube will be a good slider and help protect the sheetmetal that I care very little about.

Shane said:
Wasn't nagging, just my honest opinion. I just joined and I saw this cage, thought it was really slick how he's doing it. then I get jumped on. Sorry if I stepped on toes. Just a dumb NEWB.

you said:

Shane said:
I think anything is better than NO cage. I also think there are no rules on cages, experamintation and modification are the only way to get it right.

This is pure ignorance. Anything is not better than nothing. What if that "anything" ends up coming free and you get a jagged piece of tubing in your chest or head? There are no clearly defined rules (unless you're under a sactioning body) but there are many excellent guidelines. Experamentation and modification are NOT the only way to get it right, and will often be the worst way. Engineering (and/or copying something engineered) and understanding the forces applied and materials involved are the ways to get it right.

zebaru, looking very nice. bretts yours is also looking great, cant way to see some of those driveway shots.

First of all, although this is different, it isn't just some off the cuff hack job. I have spent a ton of time crawling over this site, pirate, and a few others looking at cage details - and what you are seeing is the third or fourth iteration of my original plans. This is my first cage however, and I posted it up looking for some feedback from those that have done this kind of thing before, and hopefully I can get some feedback (good or bad) before I am totally commited so that I can still make responsive changes.

Weasel said:
why not move the front tube in closer to the front fender and fill the gap there. looks good.

I originally wanted to run the tube all the way to that piece of 2x4 I have in there, but the angles just didn't work. Because it is a compound bend, I had to take both the 'down' turn and 'in' turn into account. I will be connecting those two elements with plate or something. I also will be filling the visual gap behind the front fender with something to extend the body lines back to the down tube.

Brett's design looks alot more door friendly than mine, and looks like it will protect the roof more? I am giving some exterior protection up in order to get the lines I want - and still be able to easily run internal bracing. I am still trying to figure out just what I want to do to for roof protection - if anything. That will have to be ironed out before I set my interior top cross bars.

I should make some real progress in the next couple of weeks. When I have done enough to make it worthwhile, I will post up some new pictures.

Travis

The more I look at this the more I worry about the lack of a B pillar and having such a long opening in the side of the body. I REALLY like the functionality that something like this gives though - easy access to the back seats (if so equipped).

I'm thinking that you are planning on having an "X" brace transversely from side to side that joins the driver bottom to the passenger roof (and vice versa) in lieu of a B pillar?

How much lift are you running? It looks like it will be tough to get into with the new door sills so high. Also, with the tube being so close to the door and roof jambs, are you going to be able to tie the sides together (i.e. dash bar and spreaders)? It looks like a good start.

-Jon

displayimage.php

Like this a lot!

I have this same plan for caltrans but I'm going to push that front vertical forward into the fender area more.

Ok send me the angles so i don't have to play with it! :D

hinkley

Root Moose said:
The more I look at this the more I worry about the lack of a B pillar and having such a long opening in the side of the body

There is going to be a B-pillar. I have had too many rocks in my doors to not want a side bar, so a B-pillar is pretty much a must for that long of a span. I like the look of it without one, but I just doesn't make sense for what I have planned for it. Not sure whether it will have back seats or not...

Kaczman said:
How much lift are you running? It looks like it will be tough to get into with the new door sills so high. Also, with the tube being so close to the door and roof jambs, are you going to be able to tie the sides together (i.e. dash bar and spreaders)? It looks like a good start.

-Jon

I plan on having no more than 3" of lift. I will initially be running 33's. The sills will be about seat height, so they may be a bit of a pain - but no worse than a buggy...

The spreaders will cut into the exisitng sheet metal some, but those areas will be reinforced/gussetted. I am not really counting on the exsiting structure to provide alot of support. I am keeping it around more for aesthetics than anything.

Alot of people seem to want that front vertical further forward. I figure it would need another bend to go further forward and still basically follow the body lines. The bend from the angled upper pillar (angled back and in) to the basically vertical lower pillar is made in one bend in my rig. Without pushing the pillar further out laterally, that would need to be two bends - one to make it vertical side to side and one to make it vertical front to back. I considered this, but it is just too much work for the payoff - that and I wasn't sure I had the room to make two bends so close with my bender. A more advanced fabricator may be able to pull it off...

Travis

Why not run a long tube from the bottom of the A-pillar to the top of the C-pillar, then run one short one from the middle of that tube to the bottom of the C-pillar?

I was thinking a cross brace behind the drivers and passengers seat would add a lot of strength while keeping the sides somewhat open.

Lookin good! I love the look of tubing that is sunk into the interior pieces and held as tight as possible...We need some progress pics! I'm building my cage this summer and will definitly incorporate some of your ideas.

Last edited:
How about sinking the A pillar tube INTO the A pillar like this guy did? Just a thought and the pics don't really show it all that well, but the tube is inside the A pillar. Jeff

MJ_1.jpg

MJ_10.jpg

MJ_2.jpg

MJ_3.jpg

Back