• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9 V-8 Magnum swap

Lower Hose:

First, I bought the griffin aluminum radiator with inlets/outlets that were opposite the original 4.0, but they matched inlet/outlet of the magnum radiator. I recommend this or a radiator with the inlet outlet both on the passenger side (would have been a little cheaper). If you use the one with both on the right, you will have to figure out upper hose. For the lower hose I picked one at the auto parts store just by looks. Turns out it is for a 2001-2005 Chevy Truck. I did trim both ends, but fit was more than perfect.

Do you have a part number for the griffin radiator you used?

I'm doing the same swap with a 5.2.... and.... some part numbers would be helpful.

I bought the griffin, but be cool part BEC 60185 is the same set up for a couple hundred less . Also my other option was novak K-XJ31H, but both inlet and outlet are on passenger side.

Up and running. Forgot to hook up 1 VSS wire, so no speedo right now (and of course PCM throwing that code). Trans won't shift. Throwing code for that. Need to crawl under and check all connections, but was raining today, so won't check till next weekend due to travel for work. But man does she run smooth.

Looked at the manuals, when I did the wiring, I wired the VSS in, but on schematic goes to daytime running light. It does eventually spice into the jeep transfer case via the engine harness. Pulled that portion of the harness from the jeep engine harness, but forgot to replace in the VSS wire and the 5v wire to the sensor. Really forgot to write it down so ended up missing it. I do remember looking at it when I did all the wiring on paper though. I am wondering if that is causing the transmission problem. Anyone have insight?

Got the VSS wire, 5v supply, and sensor ground hooked up. Easy. Now the speedometer works. Transmission still not shifting. Throwing code p0753, but I replaced the solenoid when I adjusted the bands, thought I found a loose connector, but that didn't fix it. I am also getting the code for the PCM (internal control monitor) or somehting like that. WHen I look it up, says I need a new CPU. I will deal with that one last, have to get the tranny up to par. I can still drive it around, just think it is stuck in 2nd.

I bought the griffin, but be cool part BEC 60185 is the same set up for a couple hundred less . Also my other option was novak K-XJ31H, but both inlet and outlet are on passenger side.

I'm using novack's aluminum radiator in my 350 xj -- a few initial hickups (and a few no-cost replacement radiators), and it works fantastic. highly recommend.

When you get this running it's gonna be a beast on the trails. Buddy of mine had a Durango with that motor and it was a torque monster.

yeah, that motor is a blast-- I had the 1998 grand cherokee w/ the 5.9-- really hated to get rid of it. It is a low end torque monster.

Update! So I was in limp mode I could tell it was more power than before, but starting in second was no big change. The good thing about doing the wiring yourself, is you know where all your connections are. So Tested the solenoid (Relay to C2 at PCM) tested good. If the solenoid was good, it had to be something I did (or the connection on the trans). So I test power to the relay and nothing present. It was one of the only connections I made with a plastic connector and it didn't pierce the sheath of the wire. Fixed it and now it moves!!

Will get some video links posted by this weekend. Busy between work and school. Haven't done much to the jeep in the last week. Only fixed the speedometer and now the trans relay. Only about an hour total. Need to move the exhaust a little, didn't have the front shaft in and of course interferes with exhaust. Easy fix, just need time. Now time to move on to the WJ brake and steering upgrade. Then frame stiffeners. Then it is all little stuff.

Congrats too dude! This is very cool build man. cant wait until its 100% done!

Still working little things, but have about 150 miles on it so far. Still have a check engine light for internal control module. When I bought the running parts truck, the CEL was on and I should have checked to see what it was, but didn't. I may replace the PCM and see if that is it, although it hasn't affected drivability. I am going to pull the trans and rebuild it next month when I get back from my work trip

Thanks for the transmission from that xj. It litterally is 100x better than my old trans aong with a transgo kit its pretty awesome. Thanks again! Glad to see this coming along.

Keeping it alive! I have been out of town for the last 5 weeks for work so got nothing done. While I was away, I picked up another PCM. I got it replaced and now no codes at all. I am also in the middle of replacing the heater core. Will post some picks tomorrow. What a pain in the butt. Trans is slipping, Rebuilding that in the next couple of weeks. That will make the whole drivetrain new. My other hot item is the frame stiffeners. Mods never end.

So now that I am back in town, back to work on the Jeep. I got tired of the pedal being so high after I went to the Dodge throttle cable so I modified the pedal. It lowered the pedal back down and made the angle on the cable better.

The big job, was the heater core. After replacing the entire cooling system, and knowing all the sludge in my previous system, I was not going to contaminate my new system so, I figured I would change the heater core. Got it done, but didn't have to take as much apart as I did, could do it again in half the time.

Back