• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9 V-8 Magnum swap

Not that I was looking for new tires, but stumbled on a craigslist add selling 3 dick cepek extreme country tires for 100 bucks each. that is all the add said. I texted the guy and turns out they are 35x12.5x15. I pretty much have brand new 33s on it, but with the motor swap, motor is high in power band and couldn't resist moving up to 35s for 100 bucks a tire for brand new tires. Now need to order of find a fourth. Worst case tire rack will ship to my door for 208 total for 1 tire not a bad deal either.

A little more lift added! Front end all buttoned up. I am taking some vacation time starting on Friday and I will be pulling the 46RE transmission and rebuilding it. This is the main reason I didn't go on the Reno run. Other than that, will finish the Mid stiffeners for the big jobs. Probably will also pull the steering gearbox and reseal it and tighten up the sector shaft a little. Getting it done!!

Finally addressed the A/C. If anyone is doing swaps, I highly recommend www.coldhose.com. After getting a quote from a shop to custom build my lines, I ordered everything for half the cost and had my local Napa crimp all my lines. I now have custom A/C lines. Its been in triple digits here, so glad I got it done. I also rebuilt my steering box today. Alignment tomorrow, good thing I have the lifetime from firestone. Need to get the caster adjusted them doing it vice me for free is even better.

Well took some time off work and finally tore into the transmission. Actually looked pretty good, a little wear on some of the the direct clutches, but did find the 3-4 accumulator spring broken (very common) and the wedge for the band anchor broken (again very common). Of course like all us jeepers, I am upgrading everything. Valve body is completely rebuilt now with a transgo reprogramming kit. All new frictions and steels. Waiting on some new planetary gears to come in. Front and rear were 4 pinion aluminum, and overdrive was 4 pinion steel. Found a steel of a deal on some upgrades, so going to 5 pinion steel front and overdrive and 6 pinion aluminum rear. This was my first time tearing into a transmission, but was surprisingly easier than I thought.

Valve Body

Pump, Fwd clutch pack, and direct clutch pack done and ready!

Awesome ! Now you are set

Not sure if I mentioned it, before I took the transmission out for rebuild and before I had the A/C fixed, it had been in the triple digits (103-107). Engine temp was running right around 205-210. I imagine will run a little warmer with the a/c on. And when I went under the hood after it had been running a while it was just damn hot. There is virtually no room around the engine for heat to escape, so figured why not add some hood vents. I went with Hyline offload, a little pricy, but awesome very high quality product, all aluminum and even comes with sheet metal templates that make drilling the 50 mounting holes simple.

haven't posted in a while. Well, got the transmission put back in with a bunch of upgrades. But didn't perform too well. Shifted early and erratic and had a lot of either torque converter whine or pump whine. Well turns out I put the inner pump gear in backwards. Didn't do any damage because I didn't put many miles on it, but what I pain to keep putting the transmission in and out! But now is smooth as silk and performs well. Although my neutral safety switch is leaking right through the switch like a sieve. Will address that when I get back next month. My point is for anyone scared of an auto tranny, don't be, it was way easier then I thought. As far as the gear I put in backwards, a complete oversight on my part because the book clearly stated which way it should go. Until next time, keep XJin!!

. My point is for anyone scared of an auto tranny, don't be, it was way easier then I thought.

I agree. Ever since I did the AOD in my Ford I've not been afraid of rebuilding auto transmissions. It is no more difficult really than rebuilding a motor. The key to me is a good manual and the correct tools, many of which can be made, but some of which must be bought.

That said, I am having problems with the 44RE I rebuilt. I believe it is the roller clutch that isn't holding. The clutch I ordered was wrong, I wrecked the original, and I wound up using a used one from a trans shop that they literally had laying around. My guess was there was a reason they had not used it themselves.

In the not too distant future I will be pulling everything out of my current Jeep (which I ordered brand new!) to swap into a new body. When I do that I'll be pulling the trans apart and trying to determine if that is indeed the problem.

Thanks for the updates.

B-loose

What book did you use?

Been a while, and she hasn't been on the road in a long time. Military move, bought a fixer upper house that needed a bunch of my time and the trans was leaking and just getting hot. couldn't keep the auto cool, so just finished the manual swap.

Back