• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap question

brownyz13

NAXJA Forum User
so i know this has been asked multiple times but every forum i find has been a dead end cause of lack of posts. unless someone can find one that shows a completed post. i've come to the conclusion that i'm going to swap a 5.9 magnum and 46re into my 00 xj. since my original plan was to stroke and supercharge the 4L, ive figured that would cost way more than swapping. i know there aren't kits but im not afraid to fab up parts needed and i believe i can get the computer to work with my stock gauges. if not then ill look into a holley efi system. i know some will say just do an ls swap that is an absolute last option.

That is going to be a fun swap. I know the trans tunnel will have to wider for that transmission and the cross member will have to be modified as well as the motor mounts, cooling system ect.....there's not much room to tackle much towards the front seats and gas pedal when taking on the trans tunnel so might get away with front section. I was looking for info on a gen3 hemi swap cause I found a wrecked truck but it is too big to not tube out my XJ. mine is still mostly unmolested except for 4 inch lift and tires and 242 T/C

If I was going thru all the trouble of a swap, it sure wouldn't be with that motor or trans!

If I was going thru all the trouble of a swap, it sure wouldn't be with that motor or trans!

I dont get why people are so against those engines and transmissions. In stock form they are under powered due to emissions. Yes the engines have their own known issues as does every other manufacturer. The transmission is essentially an electronically controlled 727 with an overdrive to it. Chryslers biggest problem of anything is the computer

That is going to be a fun swap. I know the trans tunnel will have to wider for that transmission and the cross member will have to be modified as well as the motor mounts, cooling system ect.....there's not much room to tackle much towards the front seats and gas pedal when taking on the trans tunnel so might get away with front section. I was looking for info on a gen3 hemi swap cause I found a wrecked truck but it is too big to not tube out my XJ. mine is still mostly unmolested except for 4 inch lift and tires and 242 T/C

I thought of doing the same but realized the hemi is a lot of work to swap in. Once done its sweet. Mine xj once was unmolested. Originally a pg&e fleet vehicle now its sitting on a rubicon express 5.5 long arm both diffs are built with lockers and on 35s

I dont get why people are so against those engines and transmissions. In stock form they are under powered due to emissions. Yes the engines have their own known issues as does every other manufacturer. The transmission is essentially an electronically controlled 727 with an overdrive to it. Chryslers biggest problem of anything is the computer
There is nothing "bad" about that combo, it's about cost/labor vs gains/rewards.

There is nothing "bad" about that combo, it's about cost/labor vs gains/rewards.

in my mind keeping it mopar based i can keep costs down. i have resources to help with fab work to help keep it cheaper. im more than certain i can make the computer from the donor vehicle communicate with the body side of things if not then ill look into a aftermarket controller. its just looking at costs of my original plan to do a stroker with supercharger just seems way more expensive. the reason why i want to do that build is to be different and theres nothing wrong with hearing a supercharger

I have a dead 4.0 right now and have looked at the 5.2/5.9 idea and the LS too. I like the magnums due to the control system (JTEC) being the same as my 99. I have the overhead console I would want to work as well as the gauges. The magnum computer will drive the gauges without having to piggy back the stock ECU as a gauge mule like with an LS. The cruise would work too. If I do a swap it would be the 5.2 or 5.9. Motor mounts don’t look too difficult to fab. Cooling is a big issue of course. I did a stroker back in 2009 in my 91, but I won’t do that again. Likely build a 4.0 with a bigger cam and the edelbrock head. Like you said there’s not much out there to go by but there are a couple helpful posts.

This one is the most complete thread I found:
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059679&highlight=engine+swap

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1125381&highlight=swap

AFAIK Edelbrock has ceased production of the 4.0L head.

AFAIK Edelbrock has ceased production of the 4.0L head.

According to Russ, they are still available to him, just very limited runs!

Summit Racing’s website shows more than 10 in stock. Might just grab one while I can. Likely won’t though, I want to chat with Russ first and see if it’s worth the coin to go off the shelf with a complete head or just keep the stock head with a rebuild since I’m not going to stroke it.

I have a dead 4.0 right now and have looked at the 5.2/5.9 idea and the LS too. I like the magnums due to the control system (JTEC) being the same as my 99. I have the overhead console I would want to work as well as the gauges. The magnum computer will drive the gauges without having to piggy back the stock ECU as a gauge mule like with an LS. The cruise would work too. If I do a swap it would be the 5.2 or 5.9. Motor mounts don’t look too difficult to fab. Cooling is a big issue of course. I did a stroker back in 2009 in my 91, but I won’t do that again. Likely build a 4.0 with a bigger cam and the edelbrock head. Like you said there’s not much out there to go by but there are a couple helpful posts.

This one is the most complete thread I found:
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059679&highlight=engine+swap

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1125381&highlight=swap

what was the problem with the stroker?

I had a TJ come through my shop a couple of months ago that had a 5.9/NV3500 swap done to it. I work with LS and Hemi swapped Jeeps on a daily basis and was honestly more excited to see that thing because it was different! The wiring and attention to detail was off, but it ran good and retained all the stock gauges.
Good luck on your research. Keep us posted on the progress.

brownyz13,

I built mine about the time Crane had a bunch of cam failures. I went pretty top end on it with eagle rods, forged JE pistons with a 30cc dish and the biggest cam Crane sold. I did that to bleed off the combustion pressure with the cam overlap. The usual double roller timing set and HV oil pump. It ran fine on 87 octane. I did big valves and roller rockers. Ported the head. The real problem was the seat pressure on the valve. A cam lobe or two went flat. I got about 5000 miles on it. It was quite powerful, but ripped the center out of the flex plate. I would do one again but I’m keeping this one more simple. It already has pretty much all the drivetrain mods I want. Just needs a motor.

brownyz13,

I built mine about the time Crane had a bunch of cam failures. I went pretty top end on it with eagle rods, forged JE pistons with a 30cc dish and the biggest cam Crane sold. I did that to bleed off the combustion pressure with the cam overlap. The usual double roller timing set and HV oil pump. It ran fine on 87 octane. I did big valves and roller rockers. Ported the head. The real problem was the seat pressure on the valve. A cam lobe or two went flat. I got about 5000 miles on it. It was quite powerful, but ripped the center out of the flex plate. I would do one again but I’m keeping this one more simple. It already has pretty much all the drivetrain mods I want. Just needs a motor.

What spring pressure were you using? Also, cam lobe lift height or valve lift height? I do wonder if people are using to much spring pressure, then have cam lobe problems. Messing with this on a mini-stroker. I have some PAC springs for a Ford motor that are 90lbs at 1.640 and a Schieder cam with .450 lift. Having the seats redone as I biffed some of the seats. Had to take the Combustion chambers to 59 cc. I am also working on an LS. .514 lift on the Competition cam. Went with LSXerleration springs. 95 lbs at 1.800 roller cam.

It’s been too many years to remember exactly on the pressure. I do know it was over 200 with the valve open. I was running Mopar Performance valves, springs and retainers. Those were made for the 5.2/5.9. Back then fewer options were common and I don’t remember anyone using LS stuff back then. Again this was built in the 2005-2008 timeframe. I’m still leaning on the Edelbrock head and Comp cams combo with an over bore and stock crank for this build. I might start pulling the motor in a couple weeks. Still too hot here and I have my fun commuter car.

I’m still leaning on the Edelbrock head and Comp cams combo with an over bore and stock crank for this build. I might start pulling the motor in a couple weeks. Still too hot here and I have my fun commuter car.

I took this into consideration when I built my stroker. I approached it differently as the aluminum head reaches heat saturation early so the only savings on a Jeep was weight. I went with a ported big valve cast head from Russ that probably flows the same if not better that the Edelbrock. My thought was to control the intake air temp more so I ceramic coated my intake and exhaust. I also made mods to get cooler/fresher air to my air filter box.
P1090068.JPG

P1090075.JPG

P1090081.JPG

P1090082.JPG

It’s been too many years to remember exactly on the pressure. I do know it was over 200 with the valve open. I was running Mopar Performance valves, springs and retainers. Those were made for the 5.2/5.9. Back then fewer options were common and I don’t remember anyone using LS stuff back then. Again this was built in the 2005-2008 timeframe. I’m still leaning on the Edelbrock head and Comp cams combo with an over bore and stock crank for this build. I might start pulling the motor in a couple weeks. Still too hot here and I have my fun commuter car.

Thanks for the info. About the same time, I used SBC valves and reused the stock springs. I did ceramic coat the intake back them. Others were using the DEI wrap. I've run ceramic coated headers since the mid 90s. I did use header wrap before. Header wrap rust the header bad. Russ recommended aftermarket 'stock' springs. Better for bind height. The Perfect Circle's seem to fit the SBC retainers. The Melling's fit the stock 4.0L retainers. They list 90 lbs (Edit 85 Lbs. at 1.600. I need to check that at work some time. Might try another setup, with LS Valves and the Melling springs.

Last edited:
I had a TJ come through my shop a couple of months ago that had a 5.9/NV3500 swap done to it. I work with LS and Hemi swapped Jeeps on a daily basis and was honestly more excited to see that thing because it was different! The wiring and attention to detail was off, but it ran good and retained all the stock gauges.
Good luck on your research. Keep us posted on the progress.

thats the reason why id like to do this swap is to keep my gauges since ive already swapped from the dummy light cluster. if not then im not afraid to do a aftermarket efi system. right now my biggest issue is finding a good deal either a donor vehicle or a engine since im in california and everyone thinks what they have is worth its weight in gold.

I took this into consideration when I built my stroker. I approached it differently as the aluminum head reaches heat saturation early so the only savings on a Jeep was weight. I went with a ported big valve cast head from Russ that probably flows the same if not better that the Edelbrock. My thought was to control the intake air temp more so I ceramic coated my intake and exhaust. I also made mods to get cooler/fresher air to my air filter box.
P1090068.JPG

P1090075.JPG

P1090081.JPG

P1090082.JPG

i did take into consideration of trying to reduce intake temps when i had to replace the head on mine. i painted the intake with some duplicolor engine paint and sticking some kind of reflex heat shield. i also had the header poweder coated but the guy didnt seem have many options for high heat. mine had the 331 head that cracked in the notorious spot. i should have looked into having it ported. i stuck a bigger throttle body on i had a cold air on it already and started running 91 octane through it. just havent done a tune since i read that chips and programmers really dont show improvement

Back