• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

I got it from Jegs, but I can't find it on their website anymore. I will try to dig up the part number I used. I know that Jegs was ordering them from Be Cool and they didn't make them until the order was placed. I think I waited a month after I ordered it. Have you tried contacting Be Cool directly? They could tell you if it is still available and where to get it if it is.

I got it from Jegs, but I can't find it on their website anymore. I will try to dig up the part number I used. I know that Jegs was ordering them from Be Cool and they didn't make them until the order was placed. I think I waited a month after I ordered it. Have you tried contacting Be Cool directly? They could tell you if it is still available and where to get it if it is.

That's what I'll do. I was just wanted to first see if I was simply overlooking it. Thanks for the help! I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

Btw, in regards to my earlier post regarding contacting FFDynamics, I sent them an e-mail months ago, and never heard back. Sad.

So I'm guessing there's really no way around either Novak or BeCool, is there?

I have a 186* thermostat and that's where mine sits with my Be Cool radiator. On really hot days when I am driving it hard it might see 190*.

It was tough to write the check, but in the end it was money well spent for me.

:lecture: there's an old saying... I'll replace 'car' with 'Jeep': you can have a fast Jeep, a reliable Jeep, or a cheap Jeep. Pick two.

:lecture: there's an old saying... I'll replace 'car' with 'Jeep': you can have a fast Jeep, a reliable Jeep, or a cheap Jeep. Pick two.

My MJ does 103, has never fully stranded me (it tried a few times), and cost me 2500 all-in... :gee:

I'm putting a 360 in my other one soon. Going to be interesting dealing with the exhaust headers, need to do some measurements.

We tested the Jeep again this past week, now with a shot of 100 hp nitrous on the stock 5.3, it flies, watch the videos (it's the 4 door white XJ):

The owner is more than happy with the results

My MJ does 103, has never fully stranded me (it tried a few times), and cost me 2500 all-in... :gee:

I'm putting a 360 in my other one soon. Going to be interesting dealing with the exhaust headers, need to do some measurements.

Small block you shouldn't have too much of an issue. They make block hugger shorty headers for those if you really need it.

Bringing it back again. Still debating hard on engine choice. I know I said Vortec 350, but after doing all the performance and preventative measures (intake gaskets) PLUS the fact that the Vortec intake with VMAX spacer could easily mean a cowl hood is in order, the dough adds up. All to get the same performance from a SBC Gen 1+ that the LSx series are getting straight from the factory. But I gotta say, the low end torque of the Gen 1 and 2's is still nothing to sneeze at. And considering I would be keeping my 3.55 gearing...

This is a question for all the guys with a Gen III+ engine. Is there a torque lag at all? Meaning, does the engine seem burdened until it comes alive in the mid-range rpm? This seems to be a constant disagreement among SBC owners, whether the Gen III+ or Gen 1 and 2 have the better torque values.

Also to John, your sig says you have a 5.3 as well, but no cowl hood? Did you use the car setup on the truck engine platform?

Thanks again for the help. Frank, I hope you don't mind me asking these questions on your thread. If so, let me know.

Last edited:
Bringing it back again. Still debating hard on engine choice. I know I said Vortec 350, but after doing all the performance and preventative measures (intake gaskets) PLUS the fact that the Vortec intake with VMAX spacer could easily mean a cowl hood is in order, the dough adds up. All to get the same performance from a SBC Gen 1+ that the LSx series are getting straight from the factory. But I gotta say, the low end torque of the Gen 1 and 2's is still nothing to sneeze at. And considering I would be keeping my 3.55 gearing...

This is a question for all the guys with a Gen III+ engine. Is there a torque lag at all? Meaning, does the engine seem burdened until it comes alive in the mid-range rpm? This seems to be a constant disagreement among SBC owners, whether the Gen III+ or Gen 1 and 2 have the better torque values.

Also to John, your sig says you have a 5.3 as well, but no cowl hood? Did you use the car setup on the truck engine platform?

Thanks again for the help. Frank, I hope you don't mind me asking these questions on your thread. If so, let me know.
IIRC, John did the LSx intake.. which is most likely what I will be doing when I get around to affording/doing the swap with an lq4.

FYI for you guys wondering about the Be Cool radiator John D has. I contacted Be Cool and those radiators with part #134-60185 are not a production item any longer. They are special order only. Here's his reply:

Be Cool said:
Jess,

I have attached a print of the 60185, we no longer make this as a production radiator and it is a special order item now. We can make you one for 599.95, this is something you have to deal directly with Be Cool on as our distributors do not carry this specific radiator. Hope this helps!

Thank you!

Justin Larocque

I uploaded the pdf drawing here:
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/320861/60185.pdf

Jess

At that price, Novak's is $11 cheaper now. Can someone explain to me how a radiator could somehow cost that much to make? I mean, I know buisness is buisness and profit needs to be somewhere, but good Lord. John, you got LUCKY!

At that price, Novak's is $11 cheaper now. Can someone explain to me how a radiator could somehow cost that much to make? I mean, I know buisness is buisness and profit needs to be somewhere, but good Lord. John, you got LUCKY!
It's bolt in, works out of the box, and convenient. Basically, they have taken the time to do what people cannot, or do not want to. I do think it is a lot of money, but there is no trial and error, wrong position for anything, etc.

Think about the cost of 16/20oz bottles of soda, water, whatever, for the same price (maybe a little more) you can get a 2lt/gal. It is convenient.

Novak has a full turnkey engine/trans-tcase setup for a recackulous amount, but its already "tuned" and ready to drop in.

The other part of the equation is sales volume... clearly they don't sell many of this one. It takes a lot of time to set up and cut everything to size to make one unit, it's much more efficient when you can set up, cut the parts for 20 or 30, then weld/braze/solder them all together, one after the other... but then you have to store them.

It all comes down to sales volume and stocking logistics when you're talking quantities this small.

The other part of the equation is sales volume... clearly they don't sell many of this one. It takes a lot of time to set up and cut everything to size to make one unit, it's much more efficient when you can set up, cut the parts for 20 or 30, then weld/braze/solder them all together, one after the other... but then you have to store them.

It all comes down to sales volume and stocking logistics when you're talking quantities this small.

Bada bing!!

exactly what i was going to say.

Time for an update I suppose.

Thanks to one Larsen (on this forum) I'm now the proud owner of a Novak (aka Gibson) Radiator.

Hopefully I'll get the P.O.S. E-Bay (Champion) radiator swapped out this weekend and actually be able to drive at the posted speed limit on the interstate without having to run the heat with the windows down to try to keep the temps at a manageable level.

So.....more witty banter, frivolous ramblings, and whimsical wondrous words of wisdom shall be spewed forth over the next few days as I fumble my way through yet another cooling upgrade (er.....attempt one at least).

Stay tuned for the hi-jinx!!
:party:

Time for an update I suppose.

Thanks to one Larsen (on this forum) I'm now the proud owner of a Novak (aka Gibson) Radiator.

Hopefully I'll get the P.O.S. E-Bay (Champion) radiator swapped out this weekend and actually be able to drive at the posted speed limit on the interstate without having to run the heat with the windows down to try to keep the temps at a manageable level.

So.....more witty banter, frivolous ramblings, and whimsical wondrous words of wisdom shall be spewed forth over the next few days as I fumble my way through yet another cooling upgrade (er.....attempt one at least).

Stay tuned for the hi-jinx!!
:party:

Good news Frank... good to hear. Hope the swap goes well. A big thanks to you for documenting this swap so well. I am going to attempt this on my 98 probably next spring/summer...

Good luck Frank, I doubt you will be disappointed ;)

What John D said! If its full of coolant and flowing any reasonable amount of air you're golden.

New radiator is in....

New lower hose (t-stat housing to lower radiator fitting).
IMG_6776.jpg

Upper hose.
IMG_6777.jpg

IMG_6778.jpg

I'll get some better pics later today of the completed installation. I'll reserve passing judgement until I've got a bit more time behind the wheel.:)

just a thought on your cooling issues. Besides XJ's and CJ's I also have a car with a small engine compartment/ large engine. Cooling on this beast is always an issue, one problem that has been found is if you run a cowl induction hood that is not sealed to the induction system it can actually create a high pressure condition (at speed) under the hood pretty much negating any flow through the radiator. With this in mind you may want to seal off ( a piece of cardboard taped over the opening would work) the scoop and or add a small air dam under the radiator to create a negative pressue under the hood. Just a thought.

Doug

Look I'm a noob again, its been so long since I posted on here I had to re-register - cool, new beginings:sure:

Back