• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

Not exactly sure what happened, but my tranny gave up the ghost yesterday while running Liberty (Penrose, Co.). Made it home about 40 or so miles in Limp Mode. No movement in reverse until I get the RPM's up to about 2000k.

So after the Bronco's game today I'll start getting the heep prepped for surgery.

Looks like we're all going to learn how to rebuild a tranny.......wOOT!:rattle:

The really frustrating thing is that the tranny only has about 5-6k miles on it. The guts were beefed up last time around and I'm at a loss as to why it's crapped out already.

I'm going to have to get it apart and see what it looks like before ordering any parts for it. I really don't want to invest in a $500-$600 kit if it only needs $10 worth of o-rings or some seals.

didnt read the whole thread, but 4l60e i assume?
i rebuilt the 700r4 in my van maybe 2 years ago, very similar tranny. first one i ever did.
your clutches and steels will be burnt if it was slipping at all. it happens extremely quick, so they're probably all shot. the bands could be toast too, as could the drums. check the drums with a straight edge to make sure they arent dished where the band rides.
low and reverse use the same band/drum, so it could be something there, or it could be a loss of pump pressure since those 2 typically require the most to stay in gear. revving it up increases pump pressure so that sort of makes sense.
as far as rebuilding it yourself, you're going to need lots of CLEAN space. there are a lot of parts to lay out and it's best to keep stuff in order. put some plastic down on your work benches, and buy LOTS of brake parts cleaner. i also got a few black plastic drip pans to clean parts in. get the blue shop paper towels and a big bag of rags. buy the 700r4/4l60e rebuild book from autozone, it helps a ton. it's a hayes manual. there are several seals in the trans that are a PITA to get in. if you roll the lip on the seal or slice it durring install, you're back to square 1. the book will show you what i'm talking about, and it will give you the part number for the seal tool. it almost looks like an oversized piston ring compressor if i remember right. you may consider buying it. keep a cup of trans fluid around for coating seals and steels/frictions during assembly. enjoy the tranny fluid you'll be finding everywhere for months after. it's a big messy job.
the only thing i screwed up on was installing the boost and tc lockup valves. they push into a deep hole in the front pump, and there is a snap ring that holds them in. there was a step in the deep hole that led me to believe the snap ring was seated, but the actual groove was up farther, so it had no pressure and the tc wouldnt lock. easy fix, but i had to figure it out then drop the pan again.

ah, well you're miles ahead of where i was then. i was a virgin when i rebuilt mine. post pics, i'd like to remind myself why i'm going to pay someone to rebuild it next time.

here's a web forum i frequented when rebuilding mine. good for troubleshooting help. the guy who runs it sells the parts too, i got everything through him. he'll help you a lot over the phone too, he'll tell you what parts to check for wear/damage, etc.
http://www.700r4l60e.com/

Last edited:
I helped out on the initial rebuild (maybe that's the problem :jester:) and also got elbows deep into the 4EOD rebuild for my service van. Not a complete stranger to it...but a heck of a long way from being an expert.

We live, we learn.

Should be another fun ride!!

too bad your attitude suck so much, Frank. ;)

wait, what happened to the REST of Hoffa? :dunno:

Sorry to hear Frank but looking forward to another excellent write up. I'm planning this swap for next year and between you, JohnD and Team Willys I have all the info... Thanks again for being so detailed and sharing with us.

wonder if it's the sprag.
I'm leanin toward a sungear.

Where are you going to put the new thread?

Sorry to hear Frank but looking forward to another excellent write up. I'm planning this swap for next year and between you, JohnD and Team Willys I have all the info... Thanks again for being so detailed and sharing with us.
Not really sure if I'll do a dedicated thread.
I'm old and grumpy as of this past June....and I don't play well with others.
Damn that sucks. Wonder if the AW4 would have fared better. What's the plan? Rebuild? 4l65e? 4l80e?
No adapters for an AW4 to 5.3...and although it's a good tranny for the XJ, it wouldn'd last too long behind a 5.3L....but that's another thread to be written by someone other than me.

4l80 is simply too large to fit easily in an XJ. New tunnel and firewall mods are not in my future.

I'll know more in a day or two when the tranny is out and stripped down like a 2-bit hooker.

Back