• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

Yes, in the event of a short or something you will be stuck looking for an answer. It's no different than any other connector/switch/sensor. It is pretty straight forward and easy to find info though.

I have a friend who did a conversion back to a cable and it did add a lot of hurdles to the project. All the things you mentioned and more.

Well, with that I guess it's DBW or bust. And when it comes to this monster 5.3L swap, I refuse to bust lol. Another quick q: does the new pedal assembly sit differently than the stock pedal? Or can you swap the stock pedal onto the DBW assembly? I guess what I am trying to ask is does it take some getting use to?

I will also be contacting FFDynamics again because I am very curious to their contact with Frank about their system holding up to a 5.3L. One question I will ask is if it's possible to have the inlet and outlets on the rad swapped for better compatibility to the 5.3L. I will share whatever I find out on this thread.

Alright guys, I know Im bringing this to the front again, but a couple of questions.

My first is about the VSS. I was looking at Brendan's site for PCM tuning, and he said the VSS on a 4x4 vehicle with a manual tranfer case MUST have the VSS between the tranny and t-case. However, the stock location for the VSS on my XJ is in the t-case tail cone. If I looked at your thread clearly Frank, you used the same stock location didn't you? Any issues? If it matters, due to availibility issues and plus the possible generous donation of a relative, I will be doing a '96 LT1 swap; rebuilt LT1 from an Impala with the '96 redesigned (detatch bell, 6 bolt rear) 4l60e from a Tahoe.

Also, I was going to go your alls route to hook up the NP231J to the 4L60E; Chevy 27 spline input, upgraded planetary, and wider chain, then use a clocking ring for the best angle. However, recent contact with Novak is making me question my original plan. According to them, 27 splines are bad, using a chevy input in the NP231 is bad, the clocking angle would never work, and I should consider buying a turnkey 700r4 from them with the NP231 adapter ($2000+). I have a good feeling theyre just trying to suck me into tossing money at them. What do ya'll think?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, my VSS is in the transfer case output shaft tailcone and it works perfectly. Brendan's info regarding the VSS location for a manual tranny means nothing with regards to your swap since you are also installing an automatic. Be certain that you have the correct VSS for your PCM model year.

I won't comment on Novak's suggestions other than to say that I disagree.

Sourcing the parts to build a "Bastard" T-case is not difficult, just a bit time consuming. The right combination of parts can result in a very strong t-case that will bolt up without any problems at all.

I STRONGLY recommend using the JB Conversions NP231C short shaft kit. I wouldn't even consider using an OEM mainshaft behind a V8...any V8.

HTH

I went a different way with my swap and used an AA adapter, so my VSS is mounted there between the tranny and t-case.

I also disagree with what you heard from Novak.

If you have difficulty finding the "Bastard" t-case parts locally (like I did) they are easily available from ebay. I got everything I needed from this guy for $142 shipped.
http://stores.ebay.com/powertrain-p...=5303410&_sid=369570213&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

x2 on the output shaft conversion, don't consider it without one.

Good luck, you're going to love it when it's done.

On your issues with the gauges did you ever explore the idea of using TJ gauges? With all the V8 swaps into Wranglers I can't fathom no one makes a LS-to TJ gauge controler.

Another quick question;

How did ya'll get the tranny skid/support remounted? My plan was, since Im using the stock NP231J tcase housing, to use a stock tranny mount, bolt it to the t-case like normal, then line the skid up evenly, drill 4 bolt holes through the bottom of the unibody frame rails like it's setup now, then drill 4 holes just large enough into the side of the frame rails to fit a boxend wrench with a nut in it, so I can slide a bolt through the skid hole, bottom rail hole, and tighten the nut inside the rail. My main concern is any structural intergrity issues with the 2 holes made on each side.

I see that you abandoned your first idea to use the stock manifolds but I was wondering if you think they could have been made to work without modding the framerails? Maybe by cutting and rotating the flanges? I don't have upper control arms so I would be able to cut the mounts out if the way. I want to do a 5.3 swap but here in California you have to appease the smog Nazis so that means using stock manifolds or CARB legal headers which the Novak ones aren't.

A friend of mine did an LS1 swap in his XJ and he cut the flanges off the manifolds then welded the down tube to the manifold. I didn't think it was going to hold, but it's going on three years now.

I have also seen people cut that area out of the frame (like a notch) out and weld plate back in to make it strong enough again.

I see that you abandoned your first idea to use the stock manifolds but I was wondering if you think they could have been made to work without modding the framerails? Maybe by cutting and rotating the flanges? I don't have upper control arms so I would be able to cut the mounts out if the way. I want to do a 5.3 swap but here in California you have to appease the smog Nazis so that means using stock manifolds or CARB legal headers which the Novak ones aren't.
My Heep is registered at my uncle's house in nor-cal that only has smog upon change of ownership (=
I am wanting to do the LQ swap but do not have enough funds yet. Have a list of things to do/get tho.

Back