• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Meter Communications

The exams need to be given by 3 VE's who are accredited by a VEC. I can find out about it. To give the technician exam, the VE's would have to be General Class or above. For General, Extra class or Advanced class would need to administer the exam. I know CharlesS is a general class, and I've got my Extra, so if we have a 3rd person and they get signed off by a VEC we could in theory give the exams. Probably need to be someone from the area that the VEC is in. Let me ask, but I think the more practical thing would maybe be a few hours covering questions about the gear, installs, operation, etc.

mark

I wrote the Section Manager of a ARRL re-this event. He is encouraged by the VEC testing aspect and they may reach out and help facilitate.

GS- Nope, simplex operation still needs a license >> SPBI.

Good Luck with the Event!

-Ron

Last edited:
I wrote the Section Manager of a ARRL re-this event. He is encouraged by the VEC testing aspect and they may reach out and help facilitate.

Good Luck with the Event!

-Ron

The only way I believe you could bypass the regulations of requiring a license would be if your radio were able to RX/TX on frequencies above 150 Mhz.

Charles

XJguy going to be watching us again this year in Moab?

mac ' :rollseyes: 'gyvr

I am well aware of the regulations and that it is no more legal to operate on the amateur bands in simplex than on repeaters if you are unlicensed. I am saying that if you are running simplex with a group of your peers you are unlikely to be called on it.

Personally I could give two sh*ts if somebody is using their radio is a prudent and reasonable manor but happen to be unlicensed. I don't ask people to identify at the start of communications, every ten minutes, or at the end. Really if you're not a dick about it I don't care.

The only way I believe you could bypass the regulations of requiring a license would be if your radio were able to RX/TX on frequencies above 150 Mhz.

Charles

To correct me previous post concerning the use of Ham Radios on the trail....
IF there is someone in your vehicle that holds a Ham Radio license you can transmit as long as they monitor your transmission; otherwise there are no Ham Radio frequencies that can be used legally without a Ham Radio license except in case of an EMERGENCY....
Now we all know that no one would do something like that.....

Back