• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Meter Communications

I'm goign to post this up here in response to a PM I got from somebody remarking that they were having a low score on the practice test:

Keep plugging away at it. All you need to do is memorize the questions/answers, those are questions from the test verbatim (there are various question pools, that's why you see the questions change on each try). Once you've gotten used to the language it gets easier to spot wrong answers as well.

For what we do don't sweat knowing the theory and stuff. All you really need to know to use the radios in our capacity is how to program frequency, tone, and offset.

Having your ticket by Moab will be helpful if we decide to use any repeaters. For simplex unlicensed is okay, just don't tell Ron.

I'm goign to post this up here in response to a PM I got from somebody remarking that they were having a low score on the practice test:

Keep plugging away at it. All you need to do is memorize the questions/answers, those are questions from the test verbatim (there are various question pools, that's why you see the questions change on each try). Once you've gotten used to the language it gets easier to spot wrong answers as well.

For what we do don't sweat knowing the theory and stuff. All you really need to know to use the radios in our capacity is how to program frequency, tone, and offset.

Having your ticket by Moab will be helpful if we decide to use any repeaters. For simplex unlicensed is okay, just don't tell Ron.

This is good advice. I actually just passed the technician test a week or so ago. The Rubicon Trail Foundation is putting on classes and getting people into radio in this area. I took an 8 hour class with them and there was probably 45 people there. Most of the stuff in the class went way over my head, but they said the same thing, if you're not getting it, don't worry, just memorize the questions and start learning the radio itself.

There are only 300 questions, multiple choice, in the tech question pool, so it's not too bad. I was taking the practice tests on QRZ until I found a free Android app ("Ham Radio Study"), which makes it great for studying while you're in line at the grocery store or on your lunch break, or whatever. That app is FAR from polished, but it gets the job done.

RTF does a group buy on the radios and passes the savings on to us, so I got a Yaesu FT-60 for $155. They also modified it to work on additional bands allowing us to communicate with MediVac/Life Flight helicopters. They also spent a couple hours on test day talking about how to find a helispot and how to help bring the helicopter pilot in for landing.

Besides the emergency comm aspects of it, one of the benefits out here near the Rubicon is that, with no cell service, I can still talk to my wife when she's at home and I'm out on the trail. She will have to get her HAM license, but then she can use something like EchoLink in place of a radio. (It's a smart phone app that uses a data connection to talk on the HAM bands.)

For the cost associated with it (time and money), I'm really happy I decided to get my license and a radio.

Billy

Will still have 146.585 in there from the last time you programmed it ;)

You have your license yet?

Also for those of you who have your radios and need them programmed, I've got cables for most the major brands. If you are going to get a cable, get the db9 serial cables and a usb->db9 FTDI chipset based serial adapter.
There's been lots of problems with the Prolific chipset as it was copied and prolific drivers under windows will not work with the fake chips.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide <- cable info.

The software that's starting to be prefered is called Chirp and is available here:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/

Most major metropolitan areas have classes that are free or almost free. You can also get study materials from either the ARRL or places like Gordon West Radio school.

http://www.arrl.org/
http://www.gordonwestradioschool.com/main/page_w5yi_training_resources.html

Last edited:
I've been taking the practice exams over the last few days and I am scoring better, but still not passing...more tests!!!

However, I did get a brown box with a radio in it and another brown box with an antenna so even if I don't pass the exam, I can still listen....hopefully.

I've been taking the practice exams over the last few days and I am scoring better, but still not passing...more tests!!!

However, I did get a brown box with a radio in it and another brown box with an antenna so even if I don't pass the exam, I can still listen....hopefully.

I'm thinking the same thing Mark!

I took it a couple times and scored in the 65's. Understanding airplane communications helps a little I guess.

I scored in the 60's once, but the other two attempts have been in the 50's. I'm gonna keep trying....

Well that's tough, there's a vast range of price point you could get yourself in to.

www.hamcity.com is a good shop and has plenty of options. A 50W + mobile radio is nice or the Jeep.

If you want to get in with minimal cost to check it out (dip your toe in) this little handheld is a great place to start. With that radio and this antenna you'll be in style, believe it or not this works better than your CB as long as you have the antenna pointed out the window. (I can easily get 90 miles from this if I have clean line of sight). The antenna is a must though, the antenna that comes on the handheld (and most handhelds, even $300+ ones) from the factor is crap.

Go to www.qrz.com to take the technician class test exams. Keep practicing unti you're passing consistently then go get the license. The you can get full use of the radio and repeaters in the area without having to stress out about the more persnickity ham operators whining about yoru lack of a call.

Is there a cheaper place or alternative antenna to buy else where? The antenna is around 35$ with shipping through hamcity.

I picked this up from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6PQ0UW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item
Hopefully the antenna works out good.

Last edited:
any other frequencies to know? I need to ship my icon to my radio guy for programing...

mac 'don't have the cord or software to do it' gyvr

any other frequencies to know? I need to ship my icon to my radio guy for programing...

mac 'don't have the cord or software to do it' gyvr

You meant ICOM....

Generally all mobile radios these days are menu driven so just read the owners manual, take your time and don't get frustrated. You will program radio frequencies to memory before you know it.

Not if it's a cheap Chinese radios. That is their main failure, programming is a royal PITA without the cable.

I got the Baofeng that you mentioned earlier. Will it be a PITA to program? I read through the book but didn't understand all of it.

You meant ICOM....

Generally all mobile radios these days are menu driven so just read the owners manual, take your time and don't get frustrated. You will program radio frequencies to memory before you know it.

Yes ICOM

mac 'pretty sure it takes a cable' gyvr

I got the Baofeng that you mentioned earlier. Will it be a PITA to program? I read through the book but didn't understand all of it.

Yes.

I recommend the $7 cable and a program called Chirp.

Or just wait until we're in Moab and feed me beer and I'll program it with my laptop. :cheers:

Not if it's a cheap Chinese radios. That is their main failure, programming is a royal PITA without the cable.

Geoff,

The Chinese radios are difficult to program without the cable and software.
I too have the Chirp program and have used the factory program when programming my Wouxun HT.
I refuse to purchase the Chinese mobile radios.

Geoff,

The Chinese radios are difficult to program without the cable and software.
I too have the Chirp program and have used the factory program when programming my Wouxun HT.
I refuse to purchase the Chinese mobile radios.

I have a TYT mobile rig, it's just as much of a PITA. I don't run it as a Jeep radio though, I bought it specifically for my mobile repeater box use (use cheap stuff in case it is stolen).

I like my Yaesu mobile rigs.

Back