• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Meter Communications

Yes.

I recommend the $7 cable and a program called Chirp.

Or just wait until we're in Moab and feed me beer and I'll program it with my laptop. :cheers:

I got a cable ordered....

Is there a cheaper place or alternative antenna to buy else where? The antenna is around 35$ with shipping through hamcity.

I picked this up from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6PQ0UW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item
Hopefully the antenna works out good.

So, the antenna from amazon did not work. I did, however, find a DIAMOND brand antenna like the one, the Jerk, posted on hamcity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330949451658?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Much cheaper, quick shipping. Waiting on my cable to program my radio.

Watch out for those cheap KNOCK OFF cables; alot of them donot work when programming.
There are several locals that have used them and the drivers donot work for their cables.

Look at my earlier post. FTDI usb to serial cable, then buy the db9 radio cables. I've got cables for yaesu, icom, kenwood, baofeng. I will also have my laptop there.

For antennas (external) the best deals I've found are here:

http://www.theantennafarm.com

For the socal guys, you can usually find a ham radio class every month. There's a class this weekend in Escondido. Not sure if it's full or not.

Mark

Do we have enough folks coming that are qualified to be ve's that we could hold an exam session one night at the event?

Not sure how practical it would be, just an idea

Never leave home without the 2 meter radio....
There are several repeaters that are accessible while in the Moab area.

Moab: 146.76 -88.5
146.90 -88.5
Monticello: 146.61 -88.5

So is there a frequency for transmitting and a different one for receiving off these repeaters?

mac 'sending my ICOM off to be programmed' gyvr

When your radio is set up there is a setting for auto RX/TX offset which will program in a negative or positive offset of 600 khz. I posted the repeater offsets in an earlier post.
You should set with that info.

Last edited:
When your radio is set up there is a setting for auto RX/TX offset which will program in a negative or positive offset of 600hz. I posted the repeater offsets in an earlier post.
You should set with that info.

The post that I quoted is the only repeater post I remember seeing...

I reread my response to you above...
Yes... There is a different transmit and receive frequency; they are offset by 600 khz.
On repeaters you need the offset so you don't RX/TX the same frequency.
You can either plug in the offset yourself or in most radio menus; there will be a setting where the radio will set the offset for you.

This should help you with the frequency offsets.

145.1 MHz - 145.5 MHz -600 kHz
146.0 MHz - 146.4 MHz +600 kHz
146.6 MHz - 147.0 MHz -600 kHz
147.0 MHz - 147.4 MHz +600 kHz
147.6 MHz - 148.0 MHz -600 kHz

Last edited:
Never leave home without the 2 meter radio....
There are several repeaters that are accessible while in the Moab area.

Moab: 146.76 -88.5
146.90 -88.5
Monticello: 146.61 -88.5

so this is:
Moab: 146.76 - 88.5
The radio receives on 146.76 and transmits on 146.16. It uses a subaudible tone of 88.5 Hertz to activate the repeater

Moab1: 146.90 - 88.5
The radio receives on 146.90 and transmits on 146.30. It uses a subaudible tone of 88.5 Hertz to activate the repeater

Monticello: 146.61 - 88.5
The radio receives on 146.61 and transmits on 146.01. It uses a subaudible tone of 88.5 Hertz to activate the repeater.

mac 'noob' gyvr

So, I got my programming cable. Anyone here that uses Linux have a programming application they use/recommend?
Edit: Found out there is a linux version of Chirp. Hope it works.

Last edited:
so this is:
Moab: 146.76 - 88.5
The radio receives on 146.76 and transmits on 146.16. It uses a subaudible tone of 88.5 Hertz to activate the repeater

Moab1: 146.90 - 88.5
The radio receives on 146.90 and transmits on 146.30. It uses a subaudible tone of 88.5 Hertz to activate the repeater

Monticello: 146.61 - 88.5
The radio receives on 146.61 and transmits on 146.01. It uses a subaudible tone of 88.5 Hertz to activate the repeater.

mac 'noob' gyvr

That's what you need....
Now you get to load that into your radio.... :yelclap:

That's what you need....
Now you get to load that into your radio.... :yelclap:

My radio guy will do it on his computer...

mac 'need a cable and software to do it on my own' gyvr

Do we have enough folks coming that are qualified to be ve's that we could hold an exam session one night at the event?

Not sure how practical it would be, just an idea

The exams need to be given by 3 VE's who are accredited by a VEC. I can find out about it. To give the technician exam, the VE's would have to be General Class or above. For General, Extra class or Advanced class would need to administer the exam. I know CharlesS is a general class, and I've got my Extra, so if we have a 3rd person and they get signed off by a VEC we could in theory give the exams. Probably need to be someone from the area that the VEC is in. Let me ask, but I think the more practical thing would maybe be a few hours covering questions about the gear, installs, operation, etc.

mark

That depends on how close the exam is going to be monitored.

It'd be a table cleared, scrap paper, calculator and test only. Tech class is a memory exercise. Keep practicing the test.

Mark

Finally shipped my radio today to the guy with the programming!

mac 'hope he sends it back with a cable and software for future programming' gyvr

Back