• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another... Build thread for an xj on 40s and one tons in norcal

So the main thing that is keeping me from sleeping in the back of Tiny Dancer is that the damn thing is on 40s and a 8" lift in the rear, along with building a 10" tall rear storage setup after pulling the rear seat and a 3" pad or a 12" air mattress, I'm going to have to like manage to hurdle my way up about 4 feet straight up. thats fine when you are sober. but after drinking beer and whiskey around the camp fire all night I might kill myself trying to get into the thing.

that being said, I love the idea of pulling out the cooler and a camping box, and rolling out a pad and being done setting up camp on trips like the rubicon where you are unpacking/packing every day.

Maybe you would be better sleeping under the jeep then :roflmao:

This is a goal of mine for the gorilla. (Tiny dancer.... Hahaha great name).

Sounds like you need to build in a flip down tail gate when you build your storage platform. It is deffinately on my list.

Yeah mike- mike 1331- came up with that name . The storage platform will have all tools and parts under it so only pulling the cooler out and a few totes . Ill build the storage first and have to test out sleeping in there some time. I like the idea of a flip down something rather so I wouldnt have to sleep diagonal.

Last edited:
Those roof top tents are cool but damn they're pricey... they're more than I paid for my 95 six pac cab over camper.
5cea88cb641196b09db4e1a0f25f39dc.jpg

I'd just pack a foldable step ladder so you can safely get into your jeep.
Plus trying to drunkenly stumble to his roof would be slightly more dangerous...

Well the 3 person 2 pole tent i have is staying for now

Did not have the right spindle nut socket. Ill grab one in the morning. Checked backlash and its measuring around 1.5 thousandths consistently. Weird. Nice and tight. Also , the driver side hub had a busted snap ring on the back side of the hub gear. Yukon lock outs are going in too. More pics to come

installing my grizzly up front, did not make setup bearings, and the snap on bearing separator I have does not have the super fine lip anymore, and I was too lazy to make setup bearings, so while attempting to reshim the thing to test a new pattern, I ruined the brand new timken bearings.

Anyone have any luck with the napa pro former bearings? they have them in stock for 12$ each so I can hopefully get the thing back on the road sooner than waiting for some timken to come in the mail via amazon prime.

Its the 387A bearings, the races are still brand new. I am a fool and had so much preload that I could not get the carrier in, even trying all the tricks I know. So ill start with pulling out 1 or maybe 2 thousandths per side and try that and check Backlash and pattern and see where I get.

the previous installer had backlash at 1 thousandth, the tightest I've ever seen, with a ton of preload, which is awesome, no shifting in backlash under load. Ive never in my life had such a hard time removing a carrier but I was able to get it out.

EDIT:

i cant find good reviews on the pro former bearings, ill hold out for timken or Kyo.Supposedly their higher end bearings are SKF which is great, but the proformers are not supposedly and they only offer the darn proformers for those 387A bearings (p387A).

It looks like I can get them from Summit for 19$ a pop and 25$ on next day air and ill just order a bunch of them.

I really , really need to buy a yukon clamshell puller. Been drooling over this:
http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-YT-P22-Carrier-Bearing/dp/B0078U9JPW

I also might build a case spreader. I have been thinking that the bearing pre load and tight BL will keep these pretty spicer 5.38s alive for many more years to come.

Last edited:
Drool no more brother. Come into the light.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/182000201844

so, is this a rebadged yukon set or a knockoff? its over 100$ cheaper so I am intrigued. The big bad yukon set is like 490$, the cheaper one that doesn't do 14b, etc, is like 390$. 275$ might be justifiable on the credit card...

I got that same set last year when i regeared. It will do all the big diffs too. 70 and 80 and 14. It was only 229 then though.

229$ would be sexy.

Pages of shim notes

Finally brough shims down here

Made a spreader

Bought more bearings at west coast differentials. Thy hooked it up . And more shims

I hate making setup bearings

Ended up at 4 thousandths Backlash. Tight preload.

Last minute snow run with josh and phil
Got the front carrier and lockouts in.
Very fun rig in the snow.

Went up by ice house reservoir on the way to barret. Thought I already responded doh!

Got my surplus center lines in the mail and bled the ps steering system.

First unhook the ram let it hang and crack the lines for a few.

Then jack up the front and turn the wheel 30 times not lock to lock.

Then hookup ram and turn side to side 30 times.
Everystep filling the res
Then turn jeep on and turn 20-30 times.

Take off the jack stands and turn side to side for a while to make sure

Back