• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ pulling a 25 ft sea ray

With my XJ on the trailer, the weight pushed through any engine braking in my '01 CTD (NV4500, so no converter slop) in 4th and even 3rd gear. Any more downshifting and I'm going less than 20 mph.

That's in NH, nowhere near as steep grades as CO.

Downshifting can only help so much.
Do you have a Jake brake? Diesels aren't known for engine braking, hence why they sell engine braking kits to retrofit pickups, and why the Big 3 are making a big deal about how they now offer them on the new trucks (like 2009 or 2010 I think.

Do you have a Jake brake? Diesels aren't known for engine braking, hence why they sell engine braking kits to retrofit pickups, and why the Big 3 are making a big deal about how they now offer them on the new trucks (like 2009 or 2010 I think.

Nope, I don't want to pay the $1,000 premium that most companies want for one.

Not a big deal for me since most of those hills aren't for a very long duration, but I can see where towing CO would warrant a jake brake or something.

I'm planning on taking a trip out to Moab in 2012, so I'll hopefully have the cash to install one beforehand.

try as I might I have been unable to parse that sentence.

Do any of you retards know what spelling, capitalization, and punctuation is? Most of the posts in this thread look like somebody barfed up a boggle game.

Last edited:
I was just pointing out that overrunning the engine braking of a diesel isn't necessarily difficult.

i tow a 22 foot flatbed with toys on it and it proly weighs around 4000, xjs rule! btw i got upgraded brakes on my jeep (none on the trailer) 31s a tranny cooler and a good amount of gas money lol

Not mine, from JK forum

photo.jpg

Theres no way that an xj SHOULD tow a 25' boat.Like mentioned before the short wheel base,lift,tires are going to be an issue.Not to mention the frame of the xj not being able to carry the weight for long periods of time.I would hate to be at the bottom of the boat ramp after pulling it out of the water and not being able to pull it up the ramp.I am sure if you hitch it up the xj will move yes,but it will definatly shorten the life and cause major problems.

things done to my xj 7'' lift 33'' tsl's 4:56 locked f/r rear disks in rear and some mods done to the motor and trany can my xj handle pulling a 25 ft boat? and soon be putting a stroker and the WJ brake up grade.
Don't do it.
If you get into a wreck, the police will turn you every which way but loose.

Its been modified from factory spec. You would lose any claim made against you in court.:twak:

Dude do it!

It'll look so SICK when you lose control of the boat, it jackknifes, and it drags your xj like it was a hyundai.

Post pics when it happens! Pics or ban!

PS- Make sure you run heavy duty diff oil!

I can speak from experience for a 23 foot wake boarding boat. I have a cherokee with 6.5 inch lift, I would tow the boat as long as I don't have to go over 40. Not to mention it did try to drag my jeep into the water. There is no way I would feel safe towing anything over 20 or 21, even then it is a bit squirly. Power was never the problem, bit I choose to live.

i was looking for a wire harness on google and can find one my be im not asking right do thay make one for a xj?

I got my adapter from "hoppy" however it was only a four pin. Went seven pin when I started towing a trailer with brakes. You will have to run the additional wires for the controller yourself.

Here is a pic of my stock 97 pulling my 16' aluminum fishing boat. The boat and trailer weigh maybe 1,500 lbs fully loaded.

The truck pulls this just fine .... as long as I stay under under 65 and stay on flat ground.

First time I hit a hill on the turnpike and tried to maintain 65mph, I overheated the tranny and spit fluid all over the place. And that was WITH a stock fluid cooler.

I don't care what anyone says, XJs make very poor tow vehicles for anything other than small size trailers and loads.

photo-3.jpg

Back