• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ pulling a 25 ft sea ray

jimbow912

NAXJA Forum User
things done to my xj 7'' lift 33'' tsl's 4:56 locked f/r rear disks in rear and some mods done to the motor and trany can my xj handle pulling a 25 ft boat? and soon be putting a stroker and the WJ brake up grade.

Boats don't generally weigh much, find out how much the trailer and it weigh. The only thing I would make sure is that it you keep your sway bars connected that way the trailer doesn't push the Jeep when you are going around turns. What model of boat besides length and make?

Boats don't generally weigh much...

wtf? He's not talking about a jon boat here. That's probably a 5000 lb boat dry. The motor and tranny can handle it but the jeep has too short a wheel base and doesn't weigh enough. And a lift doesn't help anything.

I've pulled a 25' boat trailer once. Even that wasn't very much fun trying to pull up hill. Throw a 5,000 # boat on that trailer and there's no way you're stopping that thing.

The boat my folks have that I work on and use weighs 4,500lbs dry (25' Crownline - 454 big block). Throw a full tank of 58 gallons of gas in it and fluids that can easily be up over 5,000.

Yeah if it ends up weighing that much I wouldn't tow it with an XJ. If it combined with the trailer weighs less than 4k its borderline. Do you have upgraded brakes or axles swapped to something with bigger brakes?

things done to my xj 7'' lift 33'' tsl's 4:56 locked f/r rear disks in rear and some mods done to the motor and trany can my xj handle pulling a 25 ft boat? and soon be putting a stroker and the WJ brake up grade.

Maybe rent a uhaul pickup for a day?

If it doesn't break your rig, it's certainly going to take a few years off its life. :)

Get a trailer with brakes and you will probably do ok, just take it easy.

Even with brakes I don't think it's a good idea. My XJ has disc's all the way around. The trailer I used had brakes as well. Even just pulling the trailer you could tell it was there. Throw a 5,000lb boat on top of a 4-500lb trailer and that just stupid heavy for an XJ. Unless you can say I have pulled a 25' boat before with an XJ I wouldn't go around telling people that they are safe to try it. A 25' boat is twice as long as an XJ, sure it floats on water but it's definitely not light. Not a good idea if you ask me.

legally pull vehicle has to weight twice as much as its towing

So what you're saying is my F250 PSD can't haul my cherokee+trailer.

Oh crap, I better buy a semi.

Back